Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
469 Posts
:doh::doh::doh:... I don't have a cap or seal. Must be different on my 14' vs. yours I guess. I thought all 14's were capless.
They are capless. There is a rubber seal on the quarter panel, not the door itself, and this seal comes into contact with the door; hence the residue theory.

OP, I just went out the garage and opened the gas door--it's supposed to actually pop open, not just release the lock. So if yours isn't popping open and there isn't any kind of sticky residue on the rubber seal that's keeping the door closed, your next bet would be the spring. Maybe have your dealership check it to see if it needs to be replaced. It isn't right that you're having to physically pry the door open.

· Registered
150 Posts
Ideal Gas Law only deals with gas phase and no liquid, hence gasoline does not obey the Ideal Gas Law.
When the tank is less than full the vapor is vented to an activated charcoal canistor to meet emissions standards which is also why you don't want to keep filling at the station after the pump clicks off. If you send liquid gas thru the vapor recovery system it will ruin it.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wow. Go offline for a few days and things go crazy. I figured out what was going on. The fuel door was slightly out of alignment. As soon as I straightened the door, it popped right open. Now I just need to figure out how to keep it aligned.

· Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread...

Was there a final fix for this? I will be going back to my dealer next week for another attempt. They said there was a TSB to try a silicone bead around the door to stop it from sticking. I think there is a spring problem. I press the button and hear the release mechanism click and click, but without playing with the door itself, it rarely opens.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
I have only had an issue after the door freezes shut. Not a shock since I wash it often and live in the frigid NE. Make sure there is no ice around the gasket and check to see if aligned properly like Mr. Burgh pointed out.

· Registered
137 Posts
Ive had the issue happen to me twice!! Thought it was a frozen door and smacked it a couple times at the pumps when I REALLY needed gas. Went home and I parked it in the garage then pushed the button in the morning and the door opened so I left it open on my trip to the pumps! What gives?

· Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the advise. There is no ice buildup around the door. I have not washed the Durango since the cold weather has hit. The OP did mention about the door being out of alignment, but that was where the discussion stopped. My door does not look like it is out of alignment. If he has a solution, I would like to know.

· Registered
636 Posts
,I've had the door stick a few times.. Usually pressing the button 2 or 3 times gets it to open.. Once that didn't work but pushing lightly on the floor a time or 2 then hitting the button again worked. There's definately no residue.. I can hear the latch working.. It's likely just not moving enough to free it..

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Next time it sticks look at the gap around the door. Mine was off by a tiny bit, but it was enough. Since I discovered this slight misalignment, every time I close the door, I make sure all is lined up. I have not had the door stick since.

· Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Burgh Boy. I will double check next time. I went to my local dealer again today a week or so after the silicone spray. Of course it opened everytime the tech tried it. I went directly to gas station to fill up giving me another week of not having to worry about it! Next time it happens, they said they would replace the door and the actuator. They thought it was tempertaure sensitve, but I first complained soon after I bout the Durango in October....

· Registered
47 Posts
Also mine is not opening, i can hear the sound but the door is not going out , i think they shoud make recall since it is wide problem.
I'm not sure it's that wide spread :). However on ours(along with many things, Chrysler ended up giving us a lifetime warranty w $0 deductible) the button wasn't even connected at the dash.

Chris

· Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,299 Posts
I too am having this issue. Dealership ordered a new door. It will have to be painted. No telling how long this will take. Argh!

· Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue. I will get it fixed next time I bring it in for service. On my DD it appears that the latch is not releasing enough to open the fuel door. To get the door open I lift the fuel door upwards and then I'm able to open it by pressing the fuel door button. It may take 1-2 times to get it open.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts