Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had to fill my D up 3 or 4 times, but every time I do, I can not open the fuel door. I push the button and everything works fine with the release mechanism, but the door won't open. I have to have a family member hit the button while I pry it open with my finger. The only thing I can think of is since the tank has no cap, as the gas is used it creates a vacuum. Since the door does have a seal around it, it hold that vacuum and doesn't open unless pried open. Has anyone else experienced this???

· Registered
46 Posts
I have only had to fill my D up 3 or 4 times, but every time I do, I can not open the fuel door. I push the button and everything works fine with the release mechanism, but the door won't open. I have to have a family member hit the button while I pry it open with my finger. The only thing I can think of is since the tank has no cap, as the gas is used it creates a vacuum. Since the door does have a seal around it, it hold that vacuum and doesn't open unless pried open. Has anyone else experienced this???
No problem with mine. Push the button and it pops right open.

· Registered
353 Posts
I would recommend not to pry it open. If you open the lift gate and take out the little storage box underneath the flashlight there is a cable you can pull on to open the door.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. I did that too, and nothing happened. Mechanically speaking, everything is working fine. The door is released every time the button is pushed. It just seems as if there is a vacuum preventing the door from popping open. Once the seal is broken, the door pops open.

· Registered
306 Posts
Vacuum? If there is vacuum in the tank it would accelerate the rate of fuel vaporization. Make sure the seal and the cap/door are all clean.
There is pressure relief valve to normalize the pressure built up but I have no idea why vacuum. Perhaps someone can explain.

· Registered
469 Posts
Make sure the seal and the cap/door are all clean.
I second this. If you're topping off when filling up and it's spitting up a little fuel, that can create residue on the sill. I've filled up 16 times since purchase and haven't had any issues with the gas door period.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
Obviously the fuel door needs minor adjustments. No vacuum in tank would keep fuel door stuck shut do to design...not possible. The fuel tank is vented and not air tight. I don't understand how having a vacuum in tank would increase "vaporizing of fuel". To have a vacuum in tank it would have to be "Air tight" and that being the case no open air to create "Vaporization"of fuel.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
I can assure you professor that this not the case with the gas filler door not opening or in the gas tank. And the tank is vented so your philosophical explanation doesn't relate to this. I don't see how this is even relevant about "compressing a gas to a liquid".The pressures you are referring to are not an environment that exists in your gas tank.

· Registered
1,263 Posts
The gas filler neck doesn't come into contact with filler door.there is No seal. The tank is vented and the area/compartment where the fill neck is located is vented as well. And I don't watch when you post so you are off there as well.(I couldn't care less actually) I was trying to help out OP with his problem and was not clueless about his issue. I DO KNOW that it isn't related to vacuum In the gas tank as you are suggesting..it only takes a second to figure that one out. you seem to be the argumentative one as I recall going back to MPG and now this....really????? If I don't know something ,I don't get on here claiming I do and misleading others with my uninformed/unrelated info.

· Premium Member
28,332 Posts
Keep it Human guys all opinions help get stuff resolved.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
STEVE

· Registered
306 Posts
All gas thanks are control sealed (closed system). The cap has a seal ring as well. It is sealed but allowed to vent out to evaporative system under pressure of evaporation or fuel expansion by pressure relief valve. It also allows to vent in when under negative pressure in case of fuel level drop or contraction. As I said there is no vacuum should be in the tank. It is either at atmospheric pressure or higher.

· Registered
27 Posts
I was pretty sure you could not create a vacuum behind the gas door as well, so I went to look at mine. Not only is there a gas vent hole in case you spill gas, the door is not sealed. Unless you sealed your gas door and your gas drip hole is no longer functional, this is a spring problem. The gas tank is sealed with the metal flapper door within the gas neck (where you stick the gas pump).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts