Dodge Durango Forum banner

Front turn signal LED conversion

77K views 159 replies 67 participants last post by  JJ1 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried converting the front turn signal to LED's? I have just now began to research this. I did it on my JGC with success and have done it with some other vehicles. In the past you have needed to use a pretty bright LED so it can be seen when your headlights are on. I will update everyone with my progress but wanted to check and see if anyone else has tried this yet.

Thanks

#3 ·
Currently I'm running some tests to see what "action" the turn signal takes when the lights are on, off, turn signal activated, hazards, etc. This helps me identify which type of LED bulb I need. Because the 14 is so new there isn't much info out there, and I don't like to use cheap LED's that claim they will work for the 14. I will keep you updated and hope to have a few bulbs tested on Sunday (I have quite a few LED bulbs sitting around in my garage that I used in my JGC and Benz).

#4 ·
I go my new Durango last month and one of the first things I did was change out the front turn signal. I've done this in my previous cars, I never like the orange glow in such nice headlight housings. Not only did I change it out to get rid of the color but to match the other turn signals which are LED. I got mine from LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS Part # 3157-A26-CBT Amber. At first, I was concerned about the brightness but it turned out great and no issues w/ any of the other lights.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. It appears we don't need switch backs since these don't work as DRL's, only turn signals. Unless you want them to be lit white when the turn signal is not on. The Tritons look awesome but as you said, pricey, but I do like the brightness of them. Decisions, decisions. I have some of the 3157 tower LEDs that I will try. My biggest concern is if they will be bright enough with the xenons headlights on. Crankish, what are your thoughts on your brightness?

#8 · (Edited)
At first, I wasn't sure of the brightness because one review I saw said they weren't bright but I am very pleased with them. The bulb itself has 26 LED's all around it and is being reflected off the chrome housing. I took a short 5 sec video of the old bulb and a 5 sec video of the new one during the day and you can already tell the difference. I haven't taking one at night but I will. Not sure if uploading a video here is possible. If not, I can email you the videos.

#12 ·
Here is a short video after I swapped the passenger side front turn signal with a Triton LED kit and left the drivers side stock. As you can see, the output is almost identical but the LED "flash effect" is much more obvious when both lamps are activated and flashing.

The install on the passenger side was very straightforward while the drivers side requires you to remove the entire air box to access the turn signal socket and wiring. The Triton kit requires NO cutting or splicing into the factory wiring at all and includes the control boxes (resistors) to eliminate any "fast flash" bulb out warnings.

My next project on this 2014 DD is a kit to stop the DRL's from extinguishing when a turn signal is activated. I just don't like the look of it and I am not convinced it is truly a safety feature. The turn signals can easily be seen by other motorists with the DRL activated.

#13 ·
That looks great. Thanks for the video!

#15 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Alright guys I bought these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7SFBK8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work great put in one at a time and trying them out they blinked fast for about 5 seconds and then the car synchronize all the lights and they work perfectly and man are they bright. If you put them in and they don't work reverse the polarity and they will fire up. I love them look great and they are cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Alright guys I bought these

Amazon.com: 3157 Amber Samsung High Power Led Turn Signal Corner/tail Light Bulbs/bulb: Automotive

They work great put in one at a time and trying them out they blinked fast for about 5 seconds and then the car synchronize all the lights and they work perfectly and man are they bright. If you put them in and they don't work reverse the polarity and they will fire up. I love them look great and they are cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Somehow I have doubts based on the reviews. Can you take a picture comparing the two?

#23 ·
I will in July, the pic above is the version that blinds people. I took them out until I get my new ones, oracle, in a couple weeks. When I had my wreck a couple months ago they broke on impact along with my headlight brackets, bumper, and BullBar. BullBar took the blunt of the hit and did no other damage besides cosmetic. I Tboned a guy at about 15mph after locking up my brakes from 35. His fault so his insurance covered everything and I got 1k for diminished value. Oh and his car I believe was totaled, Camry 2012, hit him square in the frame of the passenger door.

Attachments

#29 ·
Just an FYI for anyone still looking to swap to LEDs for their turn signals, I just put in Pilot 3157s in mine and they are as bright as stock and work perfectly fine in full sun. They are canbus LEDs so no errors and no fast blinking. I picked them up from my local Autozone for $24.99 -- Pilot/Turn Signal Light Mini Bulb (IL-3157A-15) | AutoZone.com While I would love to go with the Tritons, I just can't justify the price personally.

#34 ·
Yeah sorry I have been very busy at work. I did take videos and while these are absolutely just fine, in bright sunlight they do wash out a bit so I ended up ordering the Triton V3s and am waiting for those to come in. Here are the videos either way of the Pilots installed:

Up close --
Far away --

#35 ·
When I opened the link, it shows that it doesn't fit my vehicle selected...just wondering if this bulb will be the best fit for my D if the website says it won't. Was it an easy switch out or did you have to do some special treatment for the conversion? The mods I have planned for my D included this particular upgrade...just curious which would be the best bet for making the switch

#42 ·
Just an update on the thread...

at local Wal-Mart and looked at their bulbs... they have the pilot 3157 LED pair for $14.99...