Dodge Durango Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Tried installing LED switchbacks on my SXT+....the new LED lit up white with parking lights on (like it should) and blinked at the normal speed with the turn signal. However, the inside turn indicator hyper-blinked, and I had a bulb out warning/chime.

For those of us to have to use a resistor to cancel the bulb out/hyper-blink issue, where and how did you mount the resistors?

After poking around under my hood, it seems the best place would be the steel radiator support/frame cross bar just under the hood behind the radiator. There are some holes already stamped in the bar, if I can find a self tapping sheet metal screw of the proper size. The holes are slightly larger than 1/4" and smaller than 5/16", tested with drill bits to try to gauge size.

Thoughts?
That should work, as long as mounting on metal... they get pretty hot

·
Registered
711 Posts
That should work, as long as mounting on metal... they get pretty hot
Very hot, in excess of 350*F.
Was bench testing a set for my Charger, and measured the temperature of the resistors with a laser temp gun from Home Depot. Never could find a suitable location under the Charger hood to mount the resistors so the heat wouldn't cause issues.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Have them mounted behing the tail light housings on my 2011 for 2 years now with no issues..... mounted to metal body ofvD, but very close to rear, plastic tail light housing with zero issues thus far..... and i just checked them

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I put these in and they blink normal but I'm getting hyper flash in my dash and says bulbs are out. Any idea about this? I have a 14 limited
Resistor should fix it....

there goes my idea of buying that particular style... I have 14 Limited as well.... so, if I'm going to have to use resistors I am going with Sylvania Zevo

·
Registered
928 Posts
Tried installing LED switchbacks on my SXT+....the new LED lit up white with parking lights on (like it should) and blinked at the normal speed with the turn signal. However, the inside turn indicator hyper-blinked, and I had a bulb out warning/chime.

For those of us to have to use a resistor to cancel the bulb out/hyper-blink issue, where and how did you mount the resistors?

After poking around under my hood, it seems the best place would be the steel radiator support/frame cross bar just under the hood behind the radiator. There are some holes already stamped in the bar, if I can find a self tapping sheet metal screw of the proper size. The holes are slightly larger than 1/4" and smaller than 5/16", tested with drill bits to try to gauge size.

Thoughts?
I always thought we could use switchbacks if we didn't have the LED DRLs, thanks for confirming. Sounds like some resistors are needed though as you mention.

What bulbs did you go with? I've been thinking about adding these.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I always thought we could use switchbacks if we didn't have the LED DRLs, thanks for confirming. Sounds like some resistors are needed though as you mention.

What bulbs did you go with? I've been thinking about adding these.
These are the ones I bought from Amazon.
Price seemed fair. I did not try it in the housing to see actual difference between the filament bulb and the LED, just a "dry run" with the bulb connected and loose under the hood. It did seem brighter, but will know for sure once I get the resistors installed and get a good side by side comparison. If I can get some good weather that coincides with a day off from work. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RV46YBC/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
4 Posts
These are the ones I bought from Amazon.
Price seemed fair. I did not try it in the housing to see actual difference between the filament bulb and the LED, just a "dry run" with the bulb connected and loose under the hood. It did seem brighter, but will know for sure once I get the resistors installed and get a good side by side comparison. If I can get some good weather that coincides with a day off from work. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RV46YBC/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i bought these PX chip jdm astar leds, under 30 bucks and work like a charm. no resister needed in my 2017 RT. i cant see myself spending $100+ on a pair of turn signal from Vled
and here's a photo with HID on in daylight, i have a video but dont know how to upload it

IMG_4442_副本.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
i bought these PX chip jdm astar leds, under 30 bucks and work like a charm. no resister needed in my 2017 RT. i cant see myself spending $100+ on a pair of turn signal from Vled
and here's a photo with HID on in daylight, i have a video but dont know how to upload it

View attachment 52569
I just bought these for my '16 R/T. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I want to switch front turn signals to LED's in my 15 citadel with standard HID's. it looks as I have a choice of Aaron amber's, JDM A stars & Luyed 2's. Which work best that are long lasting and don't require resisters. I see some only have a 3 month warranty which is not inspiring and are the 15's subject to the CK socket issue.
Thanks. Teddy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Adding my own experience to this. Just swapped some Sylvania 3157A Zevo bulbs on my 16 R/T. No hyperflash or message on cluster.

Edit: forget the no hyperflash or cluster message. Both just popped up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
So the JDM a stars don't require resistors? Which set or is it any of them I see regular and switchback. I would think switchback would be white when parking lights and flash amber when signal on. I'll probably just get regular since I have led DRLs I have a 2014 citadel. So will any star JDM Amber 3157 led bulbs work I see several on Amazon listed with that name but don't feel like messing with resistors.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
So the JDM a stars don't require resistors? Which set or is it any of them I see regular and switchback. I would think switchback would be white when parking lights and flash amber when signal on. I'll probably just get regular since I have led DRLs I have a 2014 citadel. So will any star JDM Amber 3157 led bulbs work I see several on Amazon listed with that name but don't feel like messing with resistors.

I just put "JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright PX Chipsets 3056 3156 3157 4157 LED Bulbs ,Amber Yellow" in my 2017 R/T, and they work perfectly, plug and play, no resistors needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHTXWQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I first tried "LUYED 2 X 900 Lumens Super Bright 3014 78-EX Chipsets 3056 3156 3057 3157 LED Bulbs", which did not work out of the box - hyperflash mirror and dash lights, nothing in front lights.

I think the JDM ASTAR will work for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ordered the luyed ones last night so I'll try them if they don't work I'll send them back to Amazon and get the JDM astars wonder why they work for some but not others.

·
Registered
83 Posts
For anyone else doing this the luyed bulbs are good quality bulbs however on mine they would def require the resistors 14 citadel. Returning them to Amazon and getting the JDM astars. I did at the same time however order the luyed for my Jeep Wrangler and I must say for the brake light and parking lights and turn signals they work good. Wrangler is switch out a relay and Bam LEDs work no resistors needed. The rear back up lights are also the luyeds great quality bulbs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Luyed 4ways vs stock stock on driver side

·
Registered
83 Posts
So added the jdm astars and couldn't be happier no hyper flash no codes nothing just bright led turn signals!

121 - 140 of 158 Posts