Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried converting the front turn signal to LED's? I have just now began to research this. I did it on my JGC with success and have done it with some other vehicles. In the past you have needed to use a pretty bright LED so it can be seen when your headlights are on. I will update everyone with my progress but wanted to check and see if anyone else has tried this yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't researched this yet, but very curious to see what you come up with. I was a little disappointed when I finally noticed the fronts were not LED.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently I'm running some tests to see what "action" the turn signal takes when the lights are on, off, turn signal activated, hazards, etc. This helps me identify which type of LED bulb I need. Because the 14 is so new there isn't much info out there, and I don't like to use cheap LED's that claim they will work for the 14. I will keep you updated and hope to have a few bulbs tested on Sunday (I have quite a few LED bulbs sitting around in my garage that I used in my JGC and Benz).

·
Registered
355 Posts
I go my new Durango last month and one of the first things I did was change out the front turn signal. I've done this in my previous cars, I never like the orange glow in such nice headlight housings. Not only did I change it out to get rid of the color but to match the other turn signals which are LED. I got mine from LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS Part # 3157-A26-CBT Amber. At first, I was concerned about the brightness but it turned out great and no issues w/ any of the other lights.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. It appears we don't need switch backs since these don't work as DRL's, only turn signals. Unless you want them to be lit white when the turn signal is not on. The Tritons look awesome but as you said, pricey, but I do like the brightness of them. Decisions, decisions. I have some of the 3157 tower LEDs that I will try. My biggest concern is if they will be bright enough with the xenons headlights on. Crankish, what are your thoughts on your brightness?

·
Registered
355 Posts
At first, I wasn't sure of the brightness because one review I saw said they weren't bright but I am very pleased with them. The bulb itself has 26 LED's all around it and is being reflected off the chrome housing. I took a short 5 sec video of the old bulb and a 5 sec video of the new one during the day and you can already tell the difference. I haven't taking one at night but I will. Not sure if uploading a video here is possible. If not, I can email you the videos.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks everyone. It appears we don't need switch backs since these don't work as DRL's, only turn signals. Unless you want them to be lit white when the turn signal is not on. The Tritons look awesome but as you said, pricey, but I do like the brightness of them. Decisions, decisions. I have some of the 3157 tower LEDs that I will try. My biggest concern is if they will be bright enough with the xenons headlights on. Crankish, what are your thoughts on your brightness?

Just so I understand, our 3157 bulbs are the standard 3157 and NOT the 3157 CK type bulbs? The Ck type in the 3157 has the 4 wire pin outs reversed compared to the standard 3157 so I want to ask before I buy the wrong bulb and blow the fuse when I insert it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I go my new Durango last month and one of the first things I did was change out the front turn signal. I've done this in my previous cars, I never like the orange glow in such nice headlight housings. Not only did I change it out to get rid of the color but to match the other turn signals which are LED. I got mine from LED Lights, Bulbs & LED Lighting Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS Part # 3157-A26-CBT Amber. At first, I was concerned about the brightness but it turned out great and no issues w/ any of the other lights.
Could you post videos on youtube comparing stock with these side by side?

·
Registered
44 Posts
i used the canbus bulbs from autolumination.com ... their amber is close to red. will post a video once the weather clears up, been raining the past 2 days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a short video after I swapped the passenger side front turn signal with a Triton LED kit and left the drivers side stock. As you can see, the output is almost identical but the LED "flash effect" is much more obvious when both lamps are activated and flashing.

The install on the passenger side was very straightforward while the drivers side requires you to remove the entire air box to access the turn signal socket and wiring. The Triton kit requires NO cutting or splicing into the factory wiring at all and includes the control boxes (resistors) to eliminate any "fast flash" bulb out warnings.

My next project on this 2014 DD is a kit to stop the DRL's from extinguishing when a turn signal is activated. I just don't like the look of it and I am not convinced it is truly a safety feature. The turn signals can easily be seen by other motorists with the DRL activated.

·
Super Moderator
2,274 Posts
That looks great. Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Keep us updated on DRL kit. I would like to do that as well. What kit are you referring to to accomplish this? LOOKS REALLY GOOD!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
The tritons are one of the few drop in led bulbs that work better than the incandescent bulbs in terms of brightness. They're very expensive though. It's hit or miss with other leds, you just have to make sure they're bright enough. Most of them are so dim you'd be better off sticking a candle in your turn signal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used 3157 switch backs in mine. Had to add a resistor to each bulb and cut and trim the socket to fit. But well damn worth it for one of a kind lights in our trucks. They switch from the 8k color LED to a amber for the turn signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used 3157 switch backs in mine. Had to add a resistor to each bulb and cut and trim the socket to fit. But well damn worth it for one of a kind lights in our trucks. They switch from the 8k color LED to a amber for the turn signal.
So are they always lit in 8K then switches to blinking amber when turned on?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Alright guys I bought these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7SFBK8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work great put in one at a time and trying them out they blinked fast for about 5 seconds and then the car synchronize all the lights and they work perfectly and man are they bright. If you put them in and they don't work reverse the polarity and they will fire up. I love them look great and they are cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Alright guys I bought these

Amazon.com: 3157 Amber Samsung High Power Led Turn Signal Corner/tail Light Bulbs/bulb: Automotive

They work great put in one at a time and trying them out they blinked fast for about 5 seconds and then the car synchronize all the lights and they work perfectly and man are they bright. If you put them in and they don't work reverse the polarity and they will fire up. I love them look great and they are cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Somehow I have doubts based on the reviews. Can you take a picture comparing the two?

1 - 20 of 158 Posts