Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Dodge Durango SXT, 4.7L 4X4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 durango sxt model (4.7L 4x4) my front end is making a popping noise, it starts immediately upon releasing the brake while in drive and as speed goes up it gets less dramatic but still very noticable. My front drive shaft has a decent amount of play in it while in park and turned off (1/4 turn maybe a little less) I have replaced the front cv axles and the noise still continues. U joints seem as they should be. Is my problem the driveshaft itself, something inside the front diff, or in the transfer case? Any suggestions and/or feedback would be very helpful and much appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
MB:
Good on starting your own thread.
The quarter inch of play is normal. How does the cardian joint at the T case end of the front shaft look? They have a habit of going bad once you get into the 90-100k and up range. You might also have a T case chain wearing out. How many miles on it? Does your D have 4lo, 4hi, and 2wd, or just 2wd and 4hi?

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MB:
Good on starting your own thread.
The quarter inch of play is normal. How does the cardian joint at the T case end of the front shaft look? They have a habit of going bad once you get into the 90-100k and up range. You might also have a T case chain wearing out. How many miles on it? Does your D have 4lo, 4hi, and 2wd, or just 2wd and 4hi?

Don
It's just got 2wd and 4lock, it's electronic (unfortunately). 168,000 miles. Wheel bearing was my first thought, so I replaced the whole hub assembly on both sides, I've also replaced upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and just yesterday I replaced the cv axles. Still making the noise. These parts have all been replaced by myself since this past November with all brand new parts, no remans. The U joints seem to be in ok shape, as far as them not feeling loose, at least not when I grab them and try to move them. I'm not sure on the condition/amount of lubricant inside the diff, I've been trying to avoid pulling the cover off hoping the problem would be solved by now. I also replaced the seals on either side of the diff when I did the cv axles yesterday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just got 2wd and 4lock, it's electronic (unfortunately). 168,000 miles. Wheel bearing was my first thought, so I replaced the whole hub assembly on both sides, I've also replaced upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, and just yesterday I replaced the cv axles. Still making the noise. These parts have all been replaced by myself since this past November with all brand new parts, no remans. The U joints seem to be in ok shape, as far as them not feeling loose, at least not when I grab them and try to move them. I'm not sure on the condition/amount of lubricant inside the diff, I've been trying to avoid pulling the cover off hoping the problem would be solved by now. I also replaced the seals on either side of the diff when I did the cv axles yesterday.
The sound is definitely coming from the front, it doesn't SEEM to be coming from the transfer case, but more like the inner wheel area, that's why I've replaced the hub assembly, ball joints, axles etc. And thank you for taking time out of your day to respond by the way, it's much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
MB:
That's ok. In my mind, this is what these forums are all about. Paying forward our experiences in the hopes that when the day comes that we need help, it will be here. You have thrown a bunch of parts at it, so you really have narrowed down where the fault remains. Since you don't have 4lo, you the part time NV133 T case.
Based upon all of the parts you have replaced, I would do a drain/refill with fresh ATF+4 on the t case, and see if you have any signs of metal shavings or chunks. If all is well there, then the same with fresh synthetic gear oil on the front diff. While the clearance is tight, you can get the cover off and back on.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aaá
MB:
That's ok. In my mind, this is what these forums are all about. Paying forward our experiences in the hopes that when the day comes that we need help, it will be here. You have thrown a bunch of parts at it, so you really have narrowed down where the fault remains. Since you don't have 4lo, you the part time NV133 T case.
Based upon all of the parts you have replaced, I would do a drain/refill with fresh ATF+4 on the t case, and see if you have any signs of metal shavings or chunks. If all is well there, then the same with fresh synthetic gear oil on the front diff. While the clearance is tight, you can get the cover off and back on.

Don
Yes I have, I've likely paid RockAuto's wearhouse light bill for a month or so lol. I appreciate the feedback and I'll go ahead and start by replacing the fluid tomorrow and, fingers crossed, no signs of metal debris in the drain pan.

You also mentioned the possibility of a broken chain in the t case? If that were to be the culprit, is it possible that it may cause the noise to seem as though it was coming from further toward the front and not the t case itself? The noise seems to be coming predominantly from the driver side.

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Do you hear the noise at all when the D is stationary? Does the sound change if you turn left or right? Noise can indeed travel, and seem like it's closer or further from where it really originates. Any chance you could make a video, and post it?

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you hear the noise at all when the D is stationary? Does the sound change if you turn left or right? Noise can indeed travel, and seem like it's closer or further from where it really originates. Any chance you could make a video, and post it?

Don
Nope, only while rolling, reverse, drive, neutral; if it's rolling, the noise occurs. No change in sound when turning. And yes, tomorrow morning or afternoon I will surely post a video to this thread so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Checked your shock mounts?
Are you doing any diagnostics like levering the wheel up etc to listen for noise?
You say it starts upon releasing the brake which sounds like outer axle joint, esp since noise is coming from hub area.
Re check your work. Also make sure that brand new axle is indeed good.
Same with the other new parts installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts