Dodge Durango Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
interesting... if you happen to have a link to a clip it would be great, I'll search and look. sounds like that could be a good setup, just so hard to tell on video... when you say resonated tips, does that mean a resonator built into the tip? It seems in general as we need some type of resonator back there regardless of what is done in the mid section, I believe that is what keeps the drone out if I understand correctly?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm changing my current set up to flowmaster Super 40 (Dual in/out) to xpipe 2.5" pipe to 14" resonated tips.

There are a few videos of this exact set up, but using a borla turbo XL or pro XS instead of the flowmaster. All have said this set up has little to no drone. My personal opinion is the flowmaster actually changes the (tone/sound) of the exhaust instead of masking the rasp like most of the others.
Do you have a link for the resonated tips

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
so here's one with a borla single muffler, x pipe, out to resonated tips. it's just hard to tell on the video, the true volume or "loudness". the tone sounds good... I'm thinking a setup like this but maybe with something a little different instead of the borla.... wonder how this would sound with some angry wife's LOL, then to x pipe and resonators or resonated tips...

·
Registered
206 Posts
yes, thats one of the videos I was talking about. I think the Flowmaster would create a deeper tone with this set up.

Reactions: Heat00

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
right so I think we all agree we need resonators at the back... now the big question, what muffler in the mid section and is the x or h pipe needed? what about flowmaster outlaws, or black widows in the mid? guess its experimenting time (well as soon as my durango gets here)... driving me crazy not having it and not knowing when it will arrive lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
well, some type of resonators or resonated tips like the ones I posted the link for. I think if you go Flowmaster you go with the one dual in/out. Any that I have heard (other than the cat back systems) tend to produce way too much drone when having two Flowmaster mufflers.

Reactions: Heat00

·
Premium Member
2020 RT Destroyer Grey Blacktop
140 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
well, some type of resonators or resonated tips like the ones I posted the link for. I think if you go Flowmaster you go with the one dual in/out. Any that I have heard (other than the cat back systems) tend to produce way too much drone when having two Flowmaster mufflers.
Yea I’m just wondering if there is a better choice of muffler maybe... why chance drone at all lol.. what about the outlaws ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
There's a couple others out there with outlaws, this is the one that inspired me

That does sound pretty good. Would love to know if there is drone and how loud it is in cabin, those would be my 2 concerns otherwise this setup could be an option. It does seem to have a nice deep non raspy tone, just hard to tell in video how loud or agressive it is... would love to hear from this guy

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango RT AWD
89 Posts
Sounds pretty darn close to my h pipe/outlaws tbh. Only difference in the install was that they put the h downstream from the mufflers while I did the opposite. Doesn't seem to affect the sound.

That does sound pretty good. Would love to know if there is drone and how loud it is in cabin, those would be my 2 concerns otherwise this setup could be an option. It does seem to have a nice deep non raspy tone, just hard to tell in video how loud or agressive it is... would love to hear from this guy

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sounds pretty darn close to my h pipe/outlaws tbh. Only difference in the install was that they put the h downstream from the mufflers while I did the opposite. Doesn't seem to affect the sound.
Ok so you have the outlaws? What did you do in the back with the resonators? Is it real loud? Drone? I’m almost tempted to start with the vibrant 1790’s in the back see if that’s enough, that way I can always go back and replace mid muffler etc... just not sure how much volume that alone will add

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok so you have the outlaws? What did you do in the back with the resonators? Is it real loud? Drone? I’m almost tempted to start with the vibrant 1790’s in the back see if that’s enough, that way I can always go back and replace mid muffler etc... just not sure how much volume that alone will add

Yeah I have the h pipe/outlaws/SRT tailpipes with oem resonators. No drone, but has deep tone louder than stock.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeah I have the h pipe/outlaws/SRT tailpipes with oem resonators. No drone, but has deep tone louder than stock.

View attachment 111554
Interesting, what are the srt oem resonators? They can be Bought with the pipes and tips? Are they expensive?This could be a great option, if you have link handy please share.

Reactions: Hollywood704

·
Registered
89 Posts
I picked up a complete SRT catback off Craigslist. There's a few of them floating around for under 300. They look just like the RT catback, only difference is the pipe diameter (2.75" SRT and 2.25" RT) and the inside of the resonators. RT resonators have a convoluted design and the SRT resonators are straight though.

SRT catback before I modded it

Complexed RT resonators

·
Registered
633 Posts
I picked up a complete SRT catback off Craigslist. There's a few of them floating around for under 300. They look just like the RT catback, only difference is the pipe diameter (2.75" SRT and 2.25" RT) and the inside of the resonators. RT resonators have a convoluted design and the SRT resonators are straight though.

SRT catback before I modded it
View attachment 111558

Complexed RT resonators
View attachment 111559
Wow that helps... now I see the problem lol... yea no need for those complicated resonators for sure... replacing those alone with straight throughs should help.... I might start with that and see how it sounds then if not enough, goto a mid muffler replace .. not sure yet. Vibrants might be perfect back there as they are long not like the mini bullets, so they lend themselves to a deeper tone not so raspy, a little quieter but a good trade off on the scat pack it was enough anyhow... not sure how it will be on this rango

Reactions: kevinski118

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm changing my current set up to flowmaster Super 40 (Dual in/out) to xpipe 2.5" pipe to 14" resonated tips.

There are a few videos of this exact set up, but using a borla turbo XL or pro XS instead of the flowmaster. All have said this set up has little to no drone. My personal opinion is the flowmaster actually changes the (tone/sound) of the exhaust instead of masking the rasp like most of the others.
I’m really interested in hearing this set up with the flowmaster super 40 in place of the borla. How does it sound?

41 - 60 of 89 Posts