Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put any 40 series flowmasters on the hemi durango? I love the sound and am thinking about these over the black widow exhaust. If you did were they basically bolt on replacement or did anybody have to mod?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think we need one big exhaust thread. There are so many different options, I’m confused now lol. As of this moment I’m thinking to leave the mid muffler and replace the rears with vibrant 1790s. But I’m open to other options, I’m not doing a cat back. On my scat pack it was easy and everyone basically did the mini race bullet swap or vibrants for mids. The Durango is not so easy in my opinion. Flowmaster always has a nice deep tone but sometimes comes with dreaded drone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we need one big exhaust thread. There are so many different options, I’m confused now lol. As of this moment I’m thinking to leave the mid muffler and replace the rears with vibrant 1790s. But I’m open to other options, I’m not doing a cat back. On my scat pack it was easy and everyone basically did the mini race bullet swap or vibrants for mids. The Durango is not so easy in my opinion. Flowmaster always has a nice deep tone but sometimes comes with dreaded drone

Yea super 44 and the super 40 have waaayyy less drone than the old school 40s but it definitely has that old school lope I love. I agree if one of the admins was to pin a exhaust thread that would be great

·
Registered
633 Posts
so, has anyone here done that? If I were to just replace the rear's with super 40's or 44's, what would that sound like? so leaving the mid muffler and adding these to the rear should add a little volume, a deep tone, and no drone? If so, they could be a good option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, has anyone here done that? If I were to just replace the rear's with super 40's or 44's, what would that sound like? so leaving the mid muffler and adding these to the rear should add a little volume, a deep tone, and no drone? If so, they could be a good option.
The last time I did a non cat back exhaust set up was on a 4.6 mustang, it had long tubed, straight pipes to 40 series. It was the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard.

·
Registered
521 Posts

I’m super happy with my resonated MF mid muffler and 2.25 Blastin bobs. I just wish the fitment was a little better, and sometimes I wish it was a little louder at WOT.

I might have a muffler shop swap out the BB’s with a set of MF 2.5’s to some tips that fit a little better than the BB’s.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I’m super happy with my resonated MF mid muffler and 2.25 Blastin bobs. I just wish the fitment was a little better, and sometimes I wish it was a little louder at WOT.

I might have a muffler shop swap out the BB’s with a set of MF 2.5’s to some tips that fit a little better than the BB’s.
So you replaced the mid muffler? With what exactly? A MF muffler, or two? Then glass packs on the back? It sounds like it should be really loud that way? Is there drone? Is it deep sounding? Usually magnaflows give a very good tone. I had a set on my challenger in the mid section but it was too quiet, however the tone was very nice, not too raspy and not too deep. Maybe MF competitions in the mid section and then what about the back? Leave the stock resonators? Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
633 Posts
I also have heard some videos of the mopar performance exhaust, it sounds the best I've heard so far I think, as it doesn't seem to have drone and has a great tone and loudness from what I can tell, but of course it does as it's also about 1500$ LOL... just trying to replicate that sound for a lot less money... there must be a combo of muffler and resonator similar to what they use and if so, then the rest is just piping?

·
Premium Member
2020 RT Destroyer Grey Blacktop
140 Posts
Depends on what type of sound you want. I found that the Black Widows and Flowmasters seem to have a pretty close sound. The sound reminds me of my neighbors Fox Body Mustang I heard every morning growing up as a kid. That was my alarm clock for zero period during high school haha. I went for a more rounded sound. So I have a Borla 2.5” 2 in 2 out Borla in the middle to a Jones X Pipe. Then replaced rears with 14” long resonated 4” tips. The tips I had ceramic coated matted black. It sounds great. It’s not quiet but it’s not obnoxious.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Here’s a video of the same set up. The dude had flowmasters prior and there was a lot of drone. So he opted for the Borla set up and it corrected the issue. I am grateful he posted his experiences because it helped me figure out which direction to go. The sound has a deeper tone once broken in. Very little to no drone.

·
Registered
633 Posts
ok now we're making progress.. wish I could hear this in person or driving lol... I hear you on the foxbody, I had an 89 lx with flowmasters, it did sound amazing back then lol.
do you mind sharing what parts you used? Hopefully this is still less expensive than the Mopar exhaust which it should be... I guess any of these mufflers replacing the mid will do, like a borla, or magnaflow, or something that give a good tone, then to some better resonators... why is the x pipe needed? just curious or is it needed?

·
Registered
521 Posts
So you replaced the mid muffler? With what exactly? A MF muffler, or two? Then glass packs on the back? It sounds like it should be really loud that way? Is there drone? Is it deep sounding? Usually magnaflows give a very good tone. I had a set on my challenger in the mid section but it was too quiet, however the tone was very nice, not too raspy and not too deep. Maybe MF competitions in the mid section and then what about the back? Leave the stock resonators? Just thinking out loud...

I replaced the mid with a resonated X pipe by MF. Straight through perforated x pipe with 2.5” in/out to 2.25” glass packs.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
See below
ok now we're making progress.. wish I could hear this in person or driving lol... I hear you on the foxbody, I had an 89 lx with flowmasters, it did sound amazing back then lol.
do you mind sharing what parts you used? Hopefully this is still less expensive than the Mopar exhaust which it should be... I guess any of these mufflers replacing the mid will do, like a borla, or magnaflow, or something that give a good tone, then to some better resonators... why is the x pipe needed? just curious or is it needed?
Can’t beat the deal and results! The Ceramic Coat Job was $80.
see below:
I put a Jones X Pipe and Borla 2 in 2 out with both openings at 2.5” in replacement of the stock mid muffler and removed the rear resonators. Then installed 4” 14”long resonated tips. I had the tips ceramic coated in matted black. Looks great and sounds great!
Links below

Different Trend DT-25118RSL... Amazon.com: Different Trend DT-25118RSL Exhaust Tip: Automotive

Borla 400286 ProXS Muffler Amazon.com: Borla 400286 ProXS Muffler: Automotive

Jones Exhaust Sxp4 2-1/2stamped... Amazon.com: Jones Exhaust X Pipe 2.5X4X15: Automotive

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Where are you located? I’m in SoCal.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Sorry I didn’t answer your question on the X pipe. I decided to do an x pipe because my last 300s’ had an x pipe from the factory with the 5.7. I was shocked to see this wasn’t something on the Rango. So I put one and I was looking for a more rounded sound with control. The X pipe tones it down a bit but allows for better flow. The muffler shop said it was a good idea and with the muffler having a small X pipe it makes better sense. They called it a double helix set up. I am very happy. Plus I just added my LegMaker intake this weekend. It sounds and feels great.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Where are you located? I’m in SoCal.
We couldn’t be further away , Miami here!

Reactions: YoItsMe

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry I didn’t answer your question on the X pipe. I decided to do an x pipe because my last 300s’ had an x pipe from the factory with the 5.7. I was shocked to see this wasn’t something on the Rango. So I put one and I was looking for a more rounded sound with control. The X pipe tones it down a bit but allows for better flow. The muffler shop said it was a good idea and with the muffler having a small X pipe it makes better sense. They called it a double helix set up. I am very happy. Plus I just added my LegMaker intake this weekend. It sounds and feels great.
Makes sense. Thanks for answering. Now I just need my Durango to get here already lol

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks for answering. Now I just need my Durango to get here already lol

Yea, I’m pretty pissed about the 21 just coming out! I bought my 20 a couple months ago and of course Dodge changes the front end and interior!!! It’s all good though. I love my ride, I just wish I knew a new one was coming out in 21.... I may have just waited.... congrats though! What color did you get?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yea, I’m pretty pissed about the 21 just coming out! I bought my 20 a couple months ago and of course Dodge changes the front end and interior!!! It’s all good though. I love my ride, I just wish I knew a new one was coming out in 21.... I may have just waited.... congrats though! What color did you get?
White with red interior. It’s a long story but it got ordered for me through work so I didn’t really have any choice on anything except I got color and rt with blacktop. They said 6-8 weeks but I have a feeling it’ll be longer... I miss my scat pack in the meantime...

1 - 20 of 89 Posts