Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a ticket for tinted tag cover. A friend beat one so put it on. Going to contest it under cited statute 316.605(1) Visible 100 feet, not obscured on plate, no blocked registration or "sunshine State" Anyone get one?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nothing I see is marked for off road use only...What exactly do you mean would be marked? the FloriDUH statute reads..."...and in such manner as to prevent the plates from swinging, and all letters, numerals, printing, writing, the registration decal, and the alphanumeric designation shall be clear and distinct and free from defacement, mutilation, grease, and other obscuring matter, so that they will be plainly visible and legible at all times 100 feet from the rear or front.... Do not have anything obstructed, can be visible 100 + feet and toll cameras..

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had a dark tinted license plate cover that was marked "For Off Road Use Only". It was get a ticket or remove it on the spot. I took it off.
If you think you meet the rules .... then I am with you on fighting it.

LOL Here in PA a long time ago we issued Flagship Niagra specialty plates. New or old you can barely make out the plate number due to the colors. I wish I had gotten one!!!

Bob

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango R/T Modified
229 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would EXPECT to get a ticket with that here in VA, that would not fly.

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
244 Posts
To me, it depends on the darkness of the cover and the cop. I have a really dark plate cover that I used to run on my Grand National. Where I lived at the time, no issues. Cops left me alone and I lived there for 10 years. Then I moved 55 miles South to the North side of Indianapolis and within 5 minutes of me driving it the first time I was pulled over and told to take it off because he couldn't make out my plate. He was just being a dick, plus I guess I was now in more of a "big city" environment.

I put a light smoke cover on my Durango recently to complete the blackout look of the rear, and I live in the same area as I did when Mr. Dick pulled me over..........no problems in months yet. It all depends on whether the cop wants to make your day or not.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I was under the impression they were illegal everywhere, even the clear covers cause they can obstruct it. I'd just take it off and ask them nicely to drop the ticket.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Durango R/T Modified
229 Posts
Essentially it's an attention getter... If you cover your plate, expect to get a police date.

Don't be busting the chops of five-o if you do something that gives them an excuse to pull you over. =P

If you haven't seen American Gangster... Rule 101: Don't do shit that attracts the attention of the five-o. When you do things to stand out, you're going to stand out, and get attention you may not like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Guaranteed ticket in Kansas and Missouri, I've been pulled over for tint before in Missouri back when nothing was allowed on driver/pass doors.

roog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts