Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, wondering if I could get some advice. I have a 2015 Limited AWD with factory tow package. Looking to rent a travel trailer and go from Raleigh to Bar Harbor in July. Will likely be 2,500 miles round trip.

Durango curb weight is roughly 4,900. The manual says my GCWR is 11,600. This leaves me with roughly 6,700 for the RV trailer + other stuff.

Looking to rent a 25' Shasta 21CK which does have a curved/tapered front end. The gross weight of the RV is 5,750 lbs. Now factoring in the weight of myself & my wife and the stuff we want to bring, I think we are still under 11,600 GCWR but getting close. Oh, the RV does have anti-sway provided.

I have a lot of experience pulling smaller trailers but nothing this big or heavy. I feel comfortable in my abilities but I'm just concerned about travelling so close to the GCWR. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
301 Posts
That would not be fun in a V6. I pulled my 4200lb dry camper with a V6 durango and I had to upgrade to a 2021 RT Tow N Go after my first trip up to boone. It was way under powered for the mtns. I'm in Clayton by the way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would think that the V8 wouldn't like to pull that trailer much either.

Reactions: Urbish

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would not care to pull that with a v6. My son has a 2021 Gladiator with 4.10 gears, but he only pulls an 18' Minnie Winnie, same 3.6

·
Registered
23 Posts
20210314_130201.jpg

I pull this, and "technically" my 1500 was rated to pull it, but I wasn't about to make that mistake, and upgraded to a 2500. Does the rental place have anything under 20 feet that you could rent?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got a 3.6L with a 17' box, dry weight at 3500 lbs, and live in the PNW with a lot of hills. At the most it's probably ever been loaded with another 1000 lbs, and the 3.6L, while getting the job done, is definitely taking up the slow land at 45mph on some mountain passes. I'd have got the Hemi 5 years ago if I'd known I was doing this, but for now it works. I don't really know how much heavier I'd want to go with a lot of hills involved. Since you are just renting, it isn't like you are buying, so even if you are a bit cramped getting something smaller than you'd like, you will at least be able to gauge what you'd like to do in the future without damaging the D or yourselves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts