Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to join the Dodge family with plans to upgrade the family hauler from an ’11 Ford Edge to a 15 (or 16?) Durango. I’ve never owned a Dodge and the Ford was my first domestic vehicle. I’ve done the initial research, including this forum and believe that Dodge has a winning platform/vehicle here…therefore I’ve narrowed it down to the winner should I upgrade to something with 1) a third row and 2) decent towing capabilities. First here’s my general question that spawned this post and my joining the forum:

Are the updates on the 2016 V6 models worth waiting for over a good deal on a 2015?

While I’d love to get into an R/T being a sports car guy at heart (and not having one for the past 10 years) fact is this will be the wife’s daily driver and we don’t need the HP (and drop in mpg that comes with it). Moment of silence please. Ok, it’s not TOTALLY out of the question yet, but it’s got a slim shot. Yes, we may have a boat in the future, but the V6’s 6200lb towing capability is plenty for our needs. So, back to the question.

I plan to keep this for at least 5 years if not longer. For me that’s a record as I usually switch out every 3 years on average. So, reliability and cost to own is a factor. Which is where my question comes in around waiting for a ’16. While the Stop/Start and upgraded Pentastar (PUG) are attractive (on paper) they are also "new" tech that hasn’t been as tested as the current, proven ’15 offering. I realize that any new tech comes with a risk over something tried and true. Alas, I’m an early adopter at heart and I love me some tech. I won’t lie, the Sport mode feature is also VERY appealing as somewhat of a compromise between with the R/T and V6.

Thoughts? I know smokin deals will be had on the ’15s soon (even now) as the ‘16s start to hit dealers. Is the ’16 worth waiting for? Is the new tech worth waiting for or might they prove too risky on a vehicle I plan to keep for a while? Am I being un-American for ruling out the R/T over 4mpg and more maintenance $? :D

Thanks for helping me soundboard this dilemma and learn some things from current owners and the Durango deft.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
You're not being un-American, but the V8 will hold higher resale value in 3-5 years compared to the 6. I can't estimate the value of MPG to you personally but it's not amazingly better than the 8. I don't think you can go wrong with either in the 15. Probably true for a 16 as well. Thinking you'll be happy in the end no matter which is chosen.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Gas mileage was never at the top of my priorities when I was shopping, however:

I consistently get 18-19 driving as little as 25-30 miles on the highway to work--state highway, not the interstate, 55mph zones, a couple school zones and stop lights on the way, etc. Pure stop and go driving in traffic around town, less than 5 minutes at a time, gets me around 16-17mpg.

When I get on the interstate and can cruise at 70-75 for a couple hundred miles at a time, I've gotten a best of 24.4.

These numbers are all cumulative since owning the truck, I don't think we've ever reset the counter.

I would also pick up 15-20% with ethanol-free gas over the blended stuff and you'll probably pick up 1mpg with RWD instead of AWD.

My wife loves the performance of our Durango as her daily driver and I don't think you'll be upset with either year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good feedback all, much appreciated!

Good point on resale value of the 8 vs. the 6. I also appreciate the real world MPG figures Byrali. I assume this is before supercharger and mods?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Interestingly enough, my numbers didn't change much with the blower. My first trip towing without the blower showed about 12mpg with 6500lbs. My last time out, last weekend, I stayed around 14mpg towing 6000lbs almost 150 miles each way with a few passes down the drag strip in between.

This platform and the 5.7 are both well engineered and quite capable. The Pentastar 3.6 is a good engine, better than the 3.5 that it replaced, I just wouldn't want one in a 5000lb SUV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2014 v6 AWD with the 8-speed. Its perfectly adequate. I won't win any street races or chirp any tires. I can't tow a yacht or pull tree stumps.
but I never bought the Durango to be a hot rod, it's purely a baby hauler. I plan on getting rid of it in a few years when my kids are out of the large car seats.

I came from a 2012 Charger R/T, so I know a lot about the HEMI and it's a great engine.

I know you're considering buying new either way, but I say consider buying the HEMI if you can find a gently used 2014-2015. Buy the v6 if you're going brand new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 V6 AWD SXT Plus w/ Rallye, popular equipt, tow, 8.4" Uconnect. I am super happy with it so far. I ended up getting about 13% off sticker. My main turn off on the 2016 is that they do not have the 100K mile warranty anymore. The minor upgrades to the 2016 did not justify me waiting.

One thing I do miss having is the memory presets for the driver seat. I sometimes wish i would have gotten the limited for the added features and it would have only costed me about $1000 more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks kdogdillon. Can I ask what you paid before TTL? I'm teetering between the SXT+ and Limited (once the R/T is ruled out)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a '15 R/T and I can tell you that I get 18-19mpg with the cruise set on 78mph.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice. So mpg shouldn't be the deciding factor on the engine option.

How bout reliability? I know the Hemi has been on Wards 10 best list for a while but the Pentastar has its share of awards - is there a clear winner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2015 RT with only 1200 miles. My MPG is pretty low as with mixed driving I'm averaging 12-13 on the last 4 tanks of gas. I'm not sure if it will get better with more miles on the motor, or perhaps I have a heavier foot that everyone else. I'm actually trying to get higher numbers, but it just seems this truck won't do it for me. But to be honest, MPG was about 5th priority to me, behind permormance, safety, style, and tech features.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Nice. So mpg shouldn't be the deciding factor on the engine option.

How bout reliability? I know the Hemi has been on Wards 10 best list for a while but the Pentastar has its share of awards - is there a clear winner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They've put that 5.7 in damn near everything, as long as you take care of it it will take care of you. At its heart, the 5.7 is still an American push rod V8.

As for the V6, Chrysler seems to know how to make those too. I don't have any real first hand experience with the 3.6, my mom has it in her 2013 200 and I think it's a great motor the 2 times I've ever driven it. I can tell you though that the 3.3 in their minivan is indestructible, and if Chrysler made the 3.6 to the same or better standards that they made the 3.3 too it'll last forever also. That van has been to hell and back a few times, it's about to be passed onto its 3rd teenage driver and has 157k miles on it. Nothing but basic maintenance on it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
mpg should certainly be a factor. Im not sure how most are driving their R/T's here but Im mostly city, and I can tell you we're very lucky to net 14. Its usually 12-13 mpg. Yes you can get 15-16 mpg city, but you really have to be light on the throttle, coast alot, be very very careful not to touch the go pedal much. We dont drive like that, and frankly what the hell is the point if owning a sweet hemi V8 if you are going to try to hypermile it ?!

Thats pretty bad. Gas prices are super low but if they did hit $4/gal then it would be a deal breaker. Im not sure what a V6 would net on a similar city loop as we drive, Im guessing at least +5mpg, which is very significant.

If you dont mind the lack in pwr, you would be crazy not to get the V6. Its a wonderful engine and with the 8sp trans, gets very good marks. Wait for the 2016 at this point as there are worthwhile improvements in the V6 model.

Now, if a dealer is giving away a 2015 RT loaded for $40 grand this late in the year, I would seriously consider it. The V8 is a beautiful engine, nice power, nice sound, its got it all. If you do actually get this thing on a hwy, it does net a solid 22 mpg even cruising at 80 mph. But how often are you on a hwy cruising ? For me, its maybe 5%. The other 95% is stuck in traffic and the engine does very bad on fuel mileage when constantly starting/stopping.

i also agree with the resale value aspect. The V8 AWD will hold higher resale - IF GAS PRICES DONT HIT $4/GAL ! If they do, it may actually hurt resale.

Like I said, if you dont really care about the power and sound, and this is a wife car / baby hauler, get the 2016 V6.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a2t I think you nailed it. And trust me, I fully realize that this discussion could go on forever... it comes down to personal preference and what you're going to using it for.

The good news is, there's no 'wrong' decision :) You've all been very helpful and if you've got more thoughts, by all means...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, TIME SENSITIVE!

I need to soundboard this - have a bead on 2 sweet deals on '15 Billet Silver + Blacktop package Durangos...

1 is a Limited, 1 is an R/T (yes same exact colors). Both are CPO with less than 50 miles on them and the price difference is roughly $2,000. (33k vs 35k + TTL)

Is the choice obvious here, that being the R/T?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
R/T all day, let the HEMI roar! Plus it sits like an inch lower to the ground, tell her she'll be able to get in and out of it easier... Hehehehehehe ;) Even my car illeterate girlfriend likes the HEMI!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts