Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I upgraded the stereo in my 2016 to the new unit from Infotainment. HOLY COW, what a difference! Calls seem to be clearer, music is totally inproved. While expensive, I wish I would have done this sooner.

Day two with this new unit. It seems that the head units are made by different companies or there is way different technology in the two units.

From my point of view, one could clearly argue that the cost of switching the units for car play was a complete waste of money. However, when you consider that amount of trading in the new ride, this pill became easier to swallow.

While I don’t fully know how to use all the new features yet and knowing that both displays are 8.4 inches. The newer one seems to be larger (?) maybe it uses higher resolution, thus its more efficient in its icons. Whatever the difference is, it is very appreciated.

Sound quality. While I don’t claim to be an audiophile, there is no comparison. This new unit is much better than the original. I was ready to change out the Sub…that change is on pause. The main differences are:

• The music is more alive,
  • The staging of the music,
  • I hear clear fades from front to back and left to right,
  • There is the clear use of the front center channel,
  • The music remains “full” at low volume.
Maybe my first unit was defective from the factory, or I am now hearing these items to justify my purchase? Maybe, but I don’t think so.

This upgrade should have been done as soon as I knew it was available.

Maybe, just maybe, the new head unit can clear up the drone that is caused when the eco button is pushed. If that is accomplished, then it was truly worth the cost.

Hope all is well in your D-Rango world. My Rango has ~57,800 miles on the clock , and we are still loving it! To that point , we would rather skip Starbucks, just so we can afford to keep pusihing the sport button.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is this the same android based unit everyone is having issues with?

I wonder factory reconditioned heads are different in some way from the ones going into cars on the line?

It would likely have a more updated software load.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Feedback.
Do you have the HD radio? Did you have it before?
Maybe Dodge changed suppliers in later years?
Chase,
Yes, I had the Beats HD Radio that came in the 2016 Durango. While the sound wasnt bad, it wasnt great, and it was far from special. I often noted that the Bose stereo in my wifes Murano was much better. Now i cant say that.

I assume that something is different, maybe Dodge did change vendors. I should ask the company that did the install, they seemed very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the same android based unit everyone is having issues with?

I wonder factory reconditioned heads are different in some way from the ones going into cars on the line?

It would likely have a more updated software load.
I believe that when compared to the 2016, these are the next generation of stereo. It has the latest firmware available, flashed 10 days ago at the company.

It is not what is being put into the 2022 Durangos. not the 10.1.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts