Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Just wanted to throw this out here because I just stumbled upon this info posted by a Dodge Rep on another forum. I have not found this info easily ANYWHERE during my week long research lol.

My 06' Durango has the problem of Fuel spewing back out once the tank is full and there are a LOT of owners with the same issue. As we know a recall for this issue was done on certain 05 Durangos.

Well, this might help you. Obviously my 06 wasn't on a recall but I called the dealer and asked if there's an extended warranty in relation to the fuel Spilling back out. After giving him the last 8 of my VIN sure enough there was.

I am bringing her in on Thursday to get the Fuel Inlet Check Valve replaced free of charge.

Here is the official bulletin.

Your vehicle might be covered under a warranty extension, however. The dealer should check VIP to verify if a vehicle has a Warranty Extension. You could contact the dealer again, asking if the vehicle is covered for fuel spit back during refueling.

WARRANTY BULLETIN NO: D-12-07

SUBJECT: (X39) Fuel Tank Inlet Check Valve
(Fuel Filler Tube) - 2006-2008 MY Durango/Aspen

PURPOSE:
To announce an Extended Warranty for Fuel Tank Inlet Check Valve on certain 2006-2008 MY Dodge Durango (HB) and Chrysler Aspen (HG).
This warranty extension is unlimited time and miles.
Affected Vehicles:
2006 – 2008 Durango (HB)
2007 – 2008 Aspen (HG)
Note: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to HB vehicles with a naturally
aspirated gasoline engine built between February 1, 2006 (MDH 0201XX) and March 31, 2008 (MDH 0331XX) or HG vehicles equipped with a naturally aspirated gasoline
engine built before April 1, 2008 (MDH 0401XX).

WARRANTY BULLETIN NO: D-13-09

SUBJECT: (X48) Fuel Tank Inlet Check Valve (Fuel Filler Tube) –
2005-2006 MY Durango (HB)

PURPOSE:
To announce an ExtendedWarranty on the Fuel Tank Inlet Check Valve on certain 2005-2006 MY Dodge Durango vehicles.
This warranty extension coverage is unlimited time and miles.
Affected Vehicles:
2005 – 2006 MY Dodge Durango (HB)
Note: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine built between December 1, 2004 (MDH 1201xx) and January 31, 2006 (MDH 0131xx).

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I did the work myself while they were still claiming no issue for my vehicle. Didn't want there to be issues for the wife since she is the primary driver. There were a couple of threads in the recall section of this forum I believe. Though I think we used the term splash back rather than spit back. The extension of the warranty did at least allow me to claim the cost of materials back from dodge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just wanted to post it in case someone else was looking for information about it. Like I said when I researched it I didn't find this info.

Anyways, had the work done yesterday no issue whatsoever. Took about an hour and 15 minutes in & out.

Filled her up and no gas spewing out :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is going in on Monday. I filled it up 3 times in two weeks and it happened twice. I am amazed that the guy who owned it for 7 years was well aware of the issue and never had the recall done. It gave a gas attendant a heart attack the other day when it happened.

I think the last owner wanted to get rid of his old lady who drove it regularly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Two hours at the dealer and no more gas bathing for me. I don't know why the last owner opt out of have it done. He was an atty and may have been waiting for a case.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
If he wasn't the original owner, or an owner otherwise known to dodge he may not have got a letter about the warranty work. Glad yours is fixed now :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had mine fixed.

I just had mine fixed at 96,000 miles from the dealer for free on my 2006 Durango. I wish I had done it sooner! If yours is kicking back gas just take it in and get the free fix!
Eric G

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Initially, Dodge had a somewhat narrow range of vehicles that qualified for this "warranty" remedy. Some have reported the repair being free, whereas others have paid $50, 100, $200, or more as a deductible as part of the fix. My opinion is that ANY Durango exhibiting such behavior should be repaired gratis as a good will gesture considering the issue at hand.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
05s are now 100% free and are all covered as far as I can tell. If the work was done previously and some deductible was required then those people could probably submit a claim for reimbursement provided they kept the paper work.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Old thread, I know, but it brings up a question. Obviously, almost everyone with the splash-back issue saw premature rust on the rear quarter as a result. Is the rust repair going to be covered as well, or does anyone know?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Old thread, I know, but it brings up a question. Obviously, almost everyone with the splash-back issue saw premature rust on the rear quarter as a result. Is the rust repair going to be covered as well, or does anyone know?
Mine has got a pretty bad strip of rust along the rear quarter. I'm also curious if this fix is covered by the dealer.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had my 05 done as soon as we got it in 06 (dealer demo) has been spewing fuel again at fill-up naow with 177k mi. Dealer says it won't be fixed twice on recall, I say it's a safety issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Had my 05 done as soon as we got it in 06 (dealer demo) has been spewing fuel again at fill-up naow with 177k mi. Dealer says it won't be fixed twice on recall, I say it's a safety issue.
I'd call Chrysler, After I had my recall done I received a letter from Chrysler stating the tank would be covered for life.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Found it:

our vehicle might be covered under a warranty extension, however. The dealer should check VIP to verify if a vehicle has a Warranty Extension. You could contact the dealer again, asking if the vehicle is covered for fuel spit back during refueling.

WARRANTY BULLETIN NO: D-12-07

SUBJECT: (X39) Fuel Tank Inlet Check Valve
(Fuel Filler Tube) - 2006-2008 MY Durango/Aspen

PURPOSE:
To announce an Extended Warranty for Fuel Tank Inlet Check Valve on certain 2006-2008 MY Dodge Durango (HB) and Chrysler Aspen (HG).
This warranty extension is unlimited time and miles.
Affected Vehicles:
2006 – 2008 Durango (HB)
2007 – 2008 Aspen (HG)
Note: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to HB vehicles with a naturally
aspirated gasoline engine built between February 1, 2006 (MDH 0201XX) and March 31, 2008 (MDH 0331XX) or HG vehicles equipped with a naturally aspirated gasoline
engine built before April 1, 2008 (MDH 0401XX).

WARRANTY BULLETIN NO: D-13-09

SUBJECT: (X48) Fuel Tank Inlet Check Valve (Fuel Filler Tube) –
2005-2006 MY Durango (HB)

PURPOSE:
To announce an ExtendedWarranty on the Fuel Tank Inlet Check Valve on certain 2005-2006 MY Dodge Durango vehicles.
This warranty extension coverage is unlimited time and miles.
Affected Vehicles:
2005 – 2006 MY Dodge Durango (HB)
Note: This Extended Warranty Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a gasoline engine built between December 1, 2004 (MDH 1201xx) and January 31, 2006 (MDH 0131xx).

·
Registered
274 Posts
FYI for anyone who is being told their D is NOT covered by this recall.

Before my current D I had an '07 Chrysler Aspen with this same issue. I bought it CPO with 39,000 on the clock. This happened to me on my very first fill up. Called FCA to see if there was a recall for this and they said no, only Durangos are covered no Aspens. Eventually after some discussion on the safety risks, they finally agreed to cover the cost of all repairs. Turns out it would have been covered anyway for me because of the CPO bumper-to-bumper warranty for the first "whatever-thousand-miles" of ownership.

According to MJB8 post above Aspens are now covered, but they were not yet covered when I called FCA in 2010.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
The problem, now that all these years has passed, is the rust that developed later as a result of the gasoline exposure. That's where we're all out of luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you know if it will apply to Canada? I have an '06 and it is experiencing the same issue. I had an '04 before and it wasn't that bad.

As for the rust, I don't think it has anything to do with it. My father has a body shop, he has fix both my Durangos for the same issue and said there is foam in there and seems to be keeping the moisture. Somewhat like the 01-07 minivans. It's rusting from the inside. Passenger side doesn't seem to be affected.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Well that's just the issue. It's not the gasoline that splashes on to the outer area. It's the gas that seeps down behind the quarter and corrodes it. Why is the major rust issue directly under the gas filler nozzle? I don't see any gen 2's that have similar rust on the passenger quarter. I won't be convinced it has nothing to do with the splash back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well that's just the issue. It's not the gasoline that splashes on to the outer area. It's the gas that seeps down behind the quarter and corrodes it. Why is the major rust issue directly under the gas filler nozzle? I don't see any gen 2's that have similar rust on the passenger quarter. I won't be convinced it has nothing to do with the splash back.
You could be right. It's a good question for him. On another note, the '04 I had (and was repaired) is for sale on kijiji with a blown engine and it has rusted again on the same spot and on rusting on the passenger side as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts