Dodge Durango Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
I thought, on my son's when it arrived first, that I could piece something together instead of paying for the borla or similar... so I went and ordered some Carven R's for the back and some Vibrant 1790's or 1792's for the front.. went to the exhaust shop and they said, lets add the x pipe to really have great sound....

at first start up, it sounded amazing... until about 30 seconds into my drive home where it redefined the term 'drone'.... maybe I'm just getting old but even my son who claims he loved it, I think didn't love it once he got the borla put on lol.....

the borla, when he leaves the house and I'm outside, sounds awesome... it can be a bit quiet in the cabin at times but that's not a bad thing... I ended up at about $550 for that mess so the borla at $1200 really isn't that much more when you consider its 100 times better. I posted a video here of the start up... it was obnoxious beyond belief.

·
Registered
583 Posts
heres a few pics of what NOT to do LOL... it looks great and they do amazing installation welding etc. but this is a no go for any normal human

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't know what model number mine is any more, but I deleted the resonators and went with a 2.5" Blastin Bobs kit with straight pipes (no additional mufflers) and 4" tips. Mid muffler is still there though. I don't have any drone inside that distracts anyone in my family. Of course you can hear it as you go up through the gears, but cruising at any constant speed (low or higher) there isn't anything noticeable or overpowering inside the cabin at all. I love it.
that's probably what I should have tried first LOL

Reactions: Tom13DurangoRT

·
Registered
Billet Silver Metallic 2014 R/T RWD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I thought, on my son's when it arrived first, that I could piece something together instead of paying for the borla or similar... so I went and ordered some Carven R's for the back and some Vibrant 1790's or 1792's for the front.. went to the exhaust shop and they said, lets add the x pipe to really have great sound....

at first start up, it sounded amazing... until about 30 seconds into my drive home where it redefined the term 'drone'.... maybe I'm just getting old but even my son who claims he loved it, I think didn't love it once he got the borla put on lol.....

the borla, when he leaves the house and I'm outside, sounds awesome... it can be a bit quiet in the cabin at times but that's not a bad thing... I ended up at about $550 for that mess so the borla at $1200 really isn't that much more when you consider its 100 times better. I posted a video here of the start up... it was obnoxious beyond belief.
Mannn what a horror story..especially the part about droning lol! On the bright side, the welds and fabrication done by that shop are top notch! But I'm trying to get this thing figured out before I hack my exhaust up and throw several hundred dollars down the drain. We have a new little one on the way so I have to spend strategically. I've narrowed it down to the Blastin Bobs or Dynomax bullets. From what I've read here, they have a great sound with no drone.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mannn what a horror story..especially the part about droning lol! On the bright side, the welds and fabrication done by that shop are top notch! But I'm trying to get this thing figured out before I hack my exhaust up and throw several hundred dollars down the drain. We have a new little one on the way so I have to spend strategically. I've narrowed it down to the Blastin Bobs or Dynomax bullets. From what I've read here, they have a great sound with no drone.
Curious how it works out. I had bullets on my 18 scat, they were loud but it’s different I guess... I also had the mini bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, after lurking for a couple months I finally pulled the trigger on a '14 RWD R/T last week. I love the thing. Yesterday I went to a muffler shop and deleted the mid muffler, I had them weld in a x-pipe instead of just straight piping it (my resonators are still there). There was another guy there who brought in his Ram 1500 5.7 for a muffler delete. I noticed his had a much throatier sound once it was done. He also had a nice rumble/burble while parked idling. My question is, is there anything different in the exhaust systems of these 2 vehicles that's preventing me from achieving the same sound? I would like a nice throaty rumble while idling, but as many of you know the mid muffler delete is only noticeable during cold-starts and at WOT. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I just went with Borla S type.. sounds amazing.. did it in a friend's garage. 2 hours...

·
Registered
Billet Silver Metallic 2014 R/T RWD
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just went with Borla S type.. sounds amazing.. did it in a friend's garage. 2 hours...
Ideal setup right there! Your friends must have some pretty cool garages..that required a bit of welding correct? The Borla S does sound near perfect..I may spring for it if I still can't get the sound I'm looking for.

·
Registered
583 Posts
it is. I did the S type on both my 21's... sounds perfect.
it is bolt on actually, I watched them install both.
there is ZERO drone and it really is worth every penny.

Reactions: CitadelNV

·
Registered
174 Posts

Had mine done the other day. No video yet. Sounds great. If you want it louder get the 24249 instead of the 24250.

·
Registered
583 Posts
heres the borla S cat back on my white DD...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts