Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Billet Silver Metallic 2014 R/T RWD
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, after lurking for a couple months I finally pulled the trigger on a '14 RWD R/T last week. I love the thing. Yesterday I went to a muffler shop and deleted the mid muffler, I had them weld in a x-pipe instead of just straight piping it (my resonators are still there). There was another guy there who brought in his Ram 1500 5.7 for a muffler delete. I noticed his had a much throatier sound once it was done. He also had a nice rumble/burble while parked idling. My question is, is there anything different in the exhaust systems of these 2 vehicles that's preventing me from achieving the same sound? I would like a nice throaty rumble while idling, but as many of you know the mid muffler delete is only noticeable during cold-starts and at WOT. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the rams resonator is alot smaller then the DD, exhaust is always a tricky thing to get just the way you like it...you could simply disconnect the resonators and see how it sounds and go from there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the rams resonator is alot smaller then the DD, exhaust is always a tricky thing to get just the way you like it...you could simply disconnect the resonators and see how it sounds and go from there
Now that you mention it, when the Ram was up on the lift I did notice it had much smaller resonators than the DD. I've thought about removing resonators but I read that some people were getting drone once the resonators were removed :-/ Looks like I'm gonna have to do some more research in that department. Appreciate the input though!

·
Registered
2018 Durango Citadel 5.7
26 Posts
Now that you mention it, when the Ram was up on the lift I did notice it had much smaller resonators than the DD. I've thought about removing resonators but I read that some people were getting drone once the resonators were removed :-/ Looks like I'm gonna have to do some more research in that department. Appreciate the input though!
I just installed some Blastin Bobs glasspacks this weekend, and from what I have read in this thread they might be a good option for you @305r/t. They are similar in size to the Rams resonators, and are a easy install.

·
Registered
577 Posts
After a disaster I installed the Borla s and it’s perfect, expensive but perfect. Zero drone and although it may be on the quieter side inside the cabin, that’s refreshing after my first install of pieces together. Well worth it. Sounds good outside the vehicle. I imagine its close at least, to the tow n go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CitadelNV

·
Registered
2018 Durango Citadel 5.7
26 Posts
After a disaster I installed the Borla s and it’s perfect, expensive but perfect. Zero drone and although it may be on the quieter side inside the cabin, that’s refreshing after my first install of pieces together. Well worth it. Sounds good outside the vehicle. I imagine its close at least, to the tow n go...

What kind of disaster are we talking about? I would love to install the borla catback, and might down the road but it’s a tad costly as you mentioned. The sound and tone is by far my favorite though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just installed some Blastin Bobs glasspacks this weekend, and from what I have read in this thread they might be a good option for you @305r/t. They are similar in size to the Rams resonators, and are a easy install.
I've been seeing a lot of owners with the Blasting Bobs, how's the in-cabin drone at normal cruising speed?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was seriously considering the Blastin Bobs setup at first, sounds great but also had the same concern about drone. Ended up installing the Corsa Sport exhaust...sounds absolutely incredible and has zero drone inside the cabin at any speed. Just like the Borla though, it's expensive, but well worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The Borla S is definitely one of the better sounding option. A bit pricey like I mentioned, but well worth the money. I'm gonna have to save up a few pennies and write a nice letter to Santa for that Borla setup lol

·
Registered
2018 Durango Citadel 5.7
26 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of owners with the Blasting Bobs, how's the in-cabin drone at normal cruising speed?
Yeah this forum helped sway me in that direction as opposed to going with a full catback. I went with the dgp-225 model, so they are a little quieter than the dgp-250. The drone is nonexistent when cruising in town or in the highway. There is a slight bit when under load/ going up hill and only at 1500 rpm. Far less than I would consider annoying or offensive. Even my wife could barely hear it, and it’s easy to work around with a little throttle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was seriously considering the Blastin Bobs setup at first, sounds great but also had the same concern about drone. Ended up installing the Corsa Sport exhaust...sounds absolutely incredible and has zero drone inside the cabin at any speed. Just like the Borla though, it's expensive, but well worth it.
Thanks for the info! I think I'll try the Blastin Bobs setup first, and if those still aren't enough then i'll look into the Corsa or Borla setups.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Any time...if I knew how to post videos on here without making a YouTube video, I'd gladly share what I have.

Reactions: 305r/t

·
Registered
2018 Durango Citadel 5.7
26 Posts
Thanks for the info! I think I'll try the Blastin Bobs setup first, and if those still aren't enough then i'll look into the Corsa or Borla setups.
Be sure to listen to each version as they all have different tones and levels of volume. The 225 is the quietest and produces least amount of audible drone. Just fyi.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be sure to listen to each version as they all have different tones and levels of volume. The 225 is the quietest and produces least amount of audible drone. Just fyi.
The DD is my "muscle family mover" so I'd definitely have to go with 225s. You guys have all been a great help!:cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mid muffler delete with Dynamax race bullets straight piped to oem resonators. Zero drone and better sound than the bbs.

Reactions: CitadelNV

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mid muffler delete with Dynamax race bullets straight piped to oem resonators. Zero drone and better sound than the bbs.
Wow...just looked at a couple of YouTube vids and those things sound friggin impressive :oops: Which model # did you go with?

·
Registered
2013 Durango R/T 5.7 - Black w/blackout package
261 Posts
I don't know what model number mine is any more, but I deleted the resonators and went with a 2.5" Blastin Bobs kit with straight pipes (no additional mufflers) and 4" tips. Mid muffler is still there though. I don't have any drone inside that distracts anyone in my family. Of course you can hear it as you go up through the gears, but cruising at any constant speed (low or higher) there isn't anything noticeable or overpowering inside the cabin at all. I love it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know what model number mine is any more, but I deleted the resonators and went with a 2.5" Blastin Bobs kit with straight pipes (no additional mufflers) and 4" tips. Mid muffler is still there though. I don't have any drone inside that distracts anyone in my family. Of course you can hear it as you go up through the gears, but cruising at any constant speed (low or higher) there isn't anything noticeable or overpowering inside the cabin at all. I love it.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!..looks like another vote for Blastin Bobs. From a price standpoint the Dynamax bullets or the BB kit seem to be my best options. I'm gonna have to go on YouTube with some good headphones and do some comparisons. My biggest concern is no drone, which luckily either one of these setups seem to have.

·
Registered
2018 Durango Citadel 5.7
26 Posts
I have been looking to replace the mid muffler with something as I would like more sound/volume, and these dynomax might just be the ticket. I’ll probably have to “surprise” the wife with this mod as she’s quite content with the set up now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts