Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30 year old woman just left an 8 yr relationship. Have an 05 2wd SLT 4.7
Almost 195k. Got this guy shaking and rattling almost 2 yrs ago. Tranny rebuilt. Replaced plugs and some coils due to the rain getting in rusting them. Fixed the seal for that, no more water in there. I have a Haynes do most of the work that I can myself. EGR needs to be replaced that's next on my list just need the right tools. It used to turn off when taking sharp turns. It still does not have a thermostat (got it without one) so o only drive short distances and let it cool off before driving again. I am trying to baby it and keep it going long enough to repair it to last me a few months at least til I can trade it in. While I have a good understanding of mechanics and engines this guy is just too much for me to continue putting money in, especially at almost 200k. I avg about 10.3mpg and that's not working well either. Between the rusted plugs and coils, the EGR, as well as minor leaks from rear dif, tranny, and a slight leak on the oil pan (not enough to get on the driveway) I've also had to do the alternator and tie rods, usual stuff for something with this many miles and previous owners not keeping up with routine maintenance. So I got under there today and found what you see in the pics. That's under the front passenger side. I was trying to locate the EGR. Anyway- can anyone tell me what the heck is going on there and offer any advice on what I can do to fix this up to get a decent trade? All leather interior in great shape, DVD player etc, ac still works great but I cannot use it because of misfires rough idles etc. It used to just turn off or stall but since I stopped the rain from getting inside that seems to have subsided. Checked all my hoses everything seems to be good there. I am at a loss, if it breaks I have nothing, but I don't have anywhere to turn and cannot afford to put it in the shop to do what would probably amount to thousands of dollars of work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Right. And if I recall correctly you now need to look in the same ish spot on the drivers side to find the EGR. I also seem to recall reading that it is a bitch to get to (its one of several things I may need to replace on mine in order to get rid of a minor gremlin)
Not having a thermostat will not cause the truck to overheat, but it will prevent it from getting properly warm which in turn is likely a factor in your low MPGs.
Misfire and rough idle could be the TPS and/or the IAC. The IAC at least will be easier to replace than the EGR. IAC is $100 roughly at dealer, $60 I think at autozone, you could also try pulling it out and cleaning it (very carefully).

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Our 05 magnum hemi has a low oil sensor that when it's triggered it shuts engine down to prevent seizing. Maybe in those turns you did it triggered the low oil switch? (Just a guess on the 4.7) Also I've been dabbing with big-o tires and their alignment policy, My challenger played curb tag in a U-turn, Mileage went down right afterwards, BigO redid my lifetime alignment service and found I was 0.1" off in 2 of the 3 area's. with it now corrected my mileage shot back up again. I understand you have a tank in the 05 your driving around, but alignment and tires can play havoc on mpg. (as well as tuneups, but you did most of the engine work already)

·
Registered
2 Posts
30 year old woman just left an 8 yr relationship. Have an 05 2wd SLT 4.7
Almost 195k. Got this guy shaking and rattling almost 2 yrs ago. Tranny rebuilt. Replaced plugs and some coils due to the rain getting in rusting them. Fixed the seal for that, no more water in there. I have a Haynes do most of the work that I can myself. EGR needs to be replaced that's next on my list just need the right tools. It used to turn off when taking sharp turns. It still does not have a thermostat (got it without one) so o only drive short distances and let it cool off before driving again. I am trying to baby it and keep it going long enough to repair it to last me a few months at least til I can trade it in. While I have a good understanding of mechanics and engines this guy is just too much for me to continue putting money in, especially at almost 200k. I avg about 10.3mpg and that's not working well either. Between the rusted plugs and coils, the EGR, as well as minor leaks from rear dif, tranny, and a slight leak on the oil pan (not enough to get on the driveway) I've also had to do the alternator and tie rods, usual stuff for something with this many miles and previous owners not keeping up with routine maintenance. So I got under there today and found what you see in the pics. That's under the front passenger side. I was trying to locate the EGR. Anyway- can anyone tell me what the heck is going on there and offer any advice on what I can do to fix this up to get a decent trade? All leather interior in great shape, DVD player etc, ac still works great but I cannot use it because of misfires rough idles etc. It used to just turn off or stall but since I stopped the rain from getting inside that seems to have subsided. Checked all my hoses everything seems to be good there. I am at a loss, if it breaks I have nothing, but I don't have anywhere to turn and cannot afford to put it in the shop to do what would probably amount to thousands of dollars of work.

EGR should be near CAI. Just remove the CAI and you'll be able to get at the EGR. Not difficult, hope you get it fixed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts