Dodge Durango Forum banner

EXHAUST 2019 RT

12K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  R_Mac_1 
#1 ·
Picking up my RT tomorrow and not to impressed with the exhaust sound. What is my best option for an upgrade and not having an annoying drone?

#3 ·
Agreed! Corsa in my book too. Yeah, I would like it to be a smidgen louder, but the trade off is no drone, at least no more than stock. The sound is deep and “throaty”as the gear-heads describe it. Personally, don’t know what that means still, but I sort of get it. It sounds like a muscle car and not a boat. Yeah, it’s pricey, but so was my damn ride. An extra 15 hundo for precision and quality was totally worth it in my book.

#4 ·
Corsa here as well. Perfect tone that won't quite wake the neighbors on a cold start but does have some bark when you put the foot down on the road. One thing I don't care for besides the price is that the mid-pipe cans are now the lowest hanging components regarding ground clearance. I'm estimating they hang 2-3" below everything else now and would be the first thing to drag. Maybe I missed something when installing the system but as far as I can tell, it's the hanger positioning that causes it. There's plenty of room up in the tunnel for them to fit higher.
Sky Cloud Bumper Auto part Pipe

#6 ·
I noticed the low hanging resonators as well and its definitely installed correctly. Had been thinking of contacting them about it, and also to see if they'd make straight pipes to swap in as an option. Not sure how much louder it would be.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I have the borla s-type catback exhaust on my 18 rt, love the sound of it. Slight drone when eco mode kicks on. Only noticeable if you have music off tho. Amazing sound when you get on it! No low hanging parts with this kit. Resonator tips stick out just far enough for the borla logos to be seen. Always catch dudes doing a double take when they see em. So I vote borla ??

#10 ·
I've got the Borla on my V8 2015 Citadel - if I had it to do over again I'd probably choose the Corsa. The Borla does sound good, but it's a little over the top for my taste. My impression is the the Corsa would have been a little more refined but still plenty of attitude.

#11 ·
Honestly, just cut the mid-muffler (suitcase) off and straight pipe or x-pipe to the resonators... Sounds amazing and zero drone because you still have the resonators... Did it to my 17' RT, and just for kicks I cut the exhaust tips off and welded on 4" black powder coated tips.. yeah buddy... oh yeah,... a 5th the price.

#12 ·
I am not sure why people think the stock exhaust "drones".? I think what you're hearing is the engine lugging at the annoying low RPM range. Whenever you hear that drone look down at your RPMS-you'll be in a (numerically) high gear and low RPMs. The answer to that is turn ECO off. LOL. (Trust me- if you had a Pentastar and 3.21 gearing you'd know what I meant. Drone city.)
As to the Corsa- which I have- I think it drones more. Especially on the highway. However that may be because here in California we have hills and mountains. In 8th gear at 80 (70 MPH speed limit) the RPMs are stuck around 2200. And the Corsa drones on in that range. I feel like it needs a 9th gear (heaven forbid)- which I never noticed stock. It's not especially loud during regular driving- I wanted louder than stock. If you do hammer on the throttle it does sound good. Just not $1000 good. (I feel badly for my poor husband who bought it as a gift.) I spent $500 on my AFE Jeep exhaust and the difference was huge. We've put aftermarket exhaust on almost every auto we've ever owned. Comparatively the Corsa just doesn't seem worth the money. Hindsight I'd keep stock. I think mentally I just wanted it to sound like the SRT. Which isn't gonna happen.
* As to the low hanging pipes- I was worried about that too. However, by accident I did a little 4 X 4-ing. Went to a hiking spot- I don't even remember noticing the 1/2 mile long entrance in my Jeep. Or the rocks. Or the off-camber ruts. Or the low hanging branches. o_O Big girl did just fine- and those pipes didn't touch once.

#13 ·
Who said the stock exhaust drones? Most of us in this thread just want to hear the Hemi bark more than the stock system allows. Personally, I think it sounds like someone stuck potatoes in the stock system. Hssssssss. The low rpm thing you speak of is the MDS. When you turn off ECO mode MDS is disabled. The MDS "drone" is magnified with the Corsa for sure but it's only a button push away to turn it off.

#33 ·
The low rpm thing you speak of is the MDS. When you turn off ECO mode MDS is disabled. The MDS "drone" is magnified with the Corsa for sure but it's only a button push away to turn it off.
Ive seen people say this but I've also read (and tend to believe) that this is untrue. Turning eco off makes MDS less frequent because you're less likely to be in too high of a gear, but it doesn't disable it. Only a tune will do that.

#14 ·
So, as you can see, lots of opinions, which is good, and plenty of options. Basically, get what ya like and what fits into your budget. My wife drives our DD the most, so that was also a HUGE factor in my decision. I wanted the sound improved, but not crazy obnoxious. She digs the sound now, but I guarantee if it were too loud or the drone was nauseating, stock would’ve went right back in place. Ultimately, I totally agree with your opening post. I too thought it was a shame to muzzle such a nice sounding engine like the HEMI. Plus, I like all the looks when our kick ass grocery-getter starts singin’. Opening it up is totally worth which ever route you decide.

#15 ·
I love my Corsa exhaust with the black tips. Put it in Sport mode and punch it. Love the sound. My wife says its too loud but she drives and Audi A7. The guys at the car wash love it as I leave the lot with paddle shifts. I am just an old geezer that still likes the hemi sound.

#16 ·
Corsa cat-back here - great system, but I can tell when MDS is enabled more so than the stock system. Not annoying, but noticeable. I started down the road of straight-piping the suitcase (wasn't happy with the raspy tone), and quickly realized that it could get expensive in a hurry trying to modify things to get the right tone.

#17 ·
So i originally did the mid-mufflee delete and it wasnt really the sound I wanted. Wasted money on the Borla S-Type catback exhaust and had it on my truck for less than 24 hours. What i ended up doing is getting the resonators and mufflers off of a hellcat challenger and fabricating them into my factory exhaust setup. Love it. No drone and rowdy when you get in to it.

#31 ·
Does no one consider the Mopar exhaust? I have a whole thread on exhaust here but to sun it up I don’t know what do lol....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.