Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a 04 with the 5.7 hemi 4WD and towing package. The body has 170k miles and the engine around 100k miles (was replaced when original died at around 100k) it has some issues. Let’s start with a few weeks ago it was started and it sounded bad there was some knocking/ticking noises running real rough and it was towed home, tried starting it a few days ago it started for 4 seconds ran rough and died and hasn’t started since. Engine codes pulled were p0300 and p0301 I checked the cylinder 1 and the screws had backed out of coil pack, I fixed that still no start. Now I believe I hear the fuel pump priming when I try to start and it does try to start I see the tach doesn’t move. Could it be the crank sensor?

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Feral:
Does it turn over well, as in the battery seems to be good? Do you know the history of the replacement engine? Was it a rebuild, or a salvage yard pull? A number of the early 04 Hemi engines in the Durangos had valve spring issues, or an intake manifold that allowed water to leak into the engine which results in severe damage. The lack of a working tach may be the crank sensor.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a strong turn the battery is good, I believe it was a pull not a rebuild but not a 100% sure on that it’s not mine yet, a it’s a relatives and they said I can have it. I am pretty sure they never did any maintenance on it either let alone a tune up. There is also a power steering leak issue. But hey the tires are brand new on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I had heard about the water locking problem with the cowl leaking ontop of the engine, I didn’t see any rust on it from water sitting. Is that the right check for it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update so I went to crank it today and boom it started course I had to keep the accelerator on to keep it going but it roared to life. There is some hard missing and I hear some noises coming from the top right head at the first cylinder. It sounds kinda like there is air blowing and something goes to block it like “pfft pfft pfft pfft pfft” as the engine goes

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Feral:
Sounds like some progress. Is the CE light on, or flashing when it's running? If so, you may have a valve train issue. The plugs should be changed at least every 50K. The oem spec for them is 30K.
Being from the Texas area, how is the body as far as rust? Here in Ohio, all of them eventually rust at the rear wheel wells, and at the bottom of the doors and rear tail gate. If you have an internal engine issue, you will want to get that squared away first.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven’t checked for rust yet, here in VA we don’t get a terrible amount of snow maybe 4 times a season or so. The check engine light was on cause of the misfiring the p0300 code and the p0301.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Ok:
Due to the internal engine noise, I would get the valve covers off, and observe the rocker arms as the engine turns over. If you see obvious damage before starting it, that is not a good sign. If you don't see any apparent damage, then I would start it just long enough to verify that all rocker arms/valves appear to have normal ranges of motion. If there is a particular cylinder with a misfire, be sure to closely watch that one!

You may have rocker arm, cam, lifter, valve seat, or a mixture of these.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I see these problems is it worth fixing? I’m getting the vehicle free, apparently it has a new radiator, new alternator, the new redesigned cowl, new brake lines and brand new tires. Also gotta look into power steering..

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Feral:
I guess that would be a personal decision. If the engine requires extensive repairs, you could easily sink $1K-$3K into it. With all those new parts, you could also part it out, but that seems like a shame.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay soooo update time, opened engine and it was a broken valve spring! Got that replaced and I replaced all the spark plugs cause they were pretty baaaaaad some were even rusty. Coil packs were mostly loose or didn't have bolts on the right side. Replaced the spring and closed it up and replaced all the plugs. Still hard to start and rough idle to the point it dies engine now throwing p2308 ignition coil c secondary circut. Assuming the coil pack may be gone?

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Feral:
Your update is much appreciated! What is the build date on that D? My D has an 01/04 build date, and it's original Hemi became a paperweight at 39K due to a bad valve spring. If you have one, you should replace them all! There were spring quality issues on some of the early engines. I run a compression check on the cyl with the bad spring. You may have a bent valve. In my case, the valve dropped into the engine, and destroyed it.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no idea, it's also it's second engine and that was replaced in 2010. Pretty sure the water lock issue got the first engine, it has the new cowl now so no more water coming on it.

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Good on the new cowl. That 2nd engine if it came from a parts yard, could still have the bad springs. There is an updated intake manifold as well, that the second engine may, or may not have. I am confident mine had all the available updates that were in place at the time (Fall of 2008) when it was replaced under the powertrain warranty.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The spring that broke was on cylinder #1 on driver side the one throwing the code is on the other far back passenger side would that be effecting it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Like Don suggested.....maybe replace all the valve springs. After that a Compression check to verity things are good.

Or better yet do a Compression check now before you do any more work that involves $$$

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Given that you had one bad, and maybe more, I would replace them all! They are ticking time bombs, and you want them out of there before you sink any more money, only to have it self destruct. The heads will have to come off anyway if one or more valves is bent. Don't forget new valve seals while you are in there.

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Uuugh I moved the suspected engine coil and no code thrown still rough running! I dunno what's next

·
Premium Member
2,258 Posts
Feral:
If it were mine, the next step would be a compression test. I did not hear any loud engine noise, but I would not drive it until you deal with the springs.You have already located one bad one, and there will likely be more to follow.
When the spring went in my D's Hemi, the engine was toast at 39K.

Don

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
3 Participants
Feral
Dodge Durango Forum
Welcome to the best Dodge Durango Forum around, where you can find a great Dodge Durango Wiki and discuss the reliability of the different trim levels including the GT and SRT!
Full Forum Listing