Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new 2014 r/t on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning as I'm driving it starts popping and shaking and stalls. I'm able to get it back on but the popping and shaking is still there. I make it to the dealership - service tells me it's a broken rocker arm and bent intake push-rod. Full details are in the attached image. I'm no car expert, but I would expect to not have engine problems after driving it for 50 miles. Obviously I'm frustrated - I'm looking for thoughts on how big of an issue this is. I've asked for a replacement from Chrystler and they are getting back to me. It was fixed and I've driven it for a day. Since I didn't even have time to get used to the vehicle I don't know what sounds are normal and what I should worry about. There is definitely a popping noise still, very faint. It could just be the hemi's normal sound. After driving it for a day (country driving) it only averaged 13mpg which is below the low end of the ratings. I don't know what possible side effects from a damaged engine could be. Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated. I was very excited about the purchase and love the looks/features of the vehicle but obviously have been turned off by the experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Very Sorry for your bad experience. That is too bad and very understandable that it has severely dampened your New Car Experience. It appears that the issue originated from a sticky lifter, good news is it never caused any major internal damage and you had no control of it. I would be very observant of weird noises, vibrations, etc.for a while and make sure to document all maintenance and repairs done with dates and mileages when they were done. You are 95%+ odds gonna be OK and just got a hand dealt that could of been worse. Its too bad that these things happen but they do. Don't get Discouraged and congratulations on the New RT!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,866 Posts
I'm a bit confuzzled about the mixing of intake and exhaust stuff.. a broken exhaust rocker and a bent intake pushrod?

·
Registered
598 Posts
As I've said before, all car manufacturers have issues, doesn't matter what brand but what discourages me is this hemi engine has been around FOREVER. You'd think it would be bullet proof by now after, what, a decade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's. I wanted to get a new car so I didn't have to pay attention to every noise the car made and worry about maintenance. Is it too much to hope for a replacement given the circumstances?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would think since they have fixed the problem there would be no reason for them to give you a new vehicle. Even though the Hemi is been around for so long it's still a mass produced product that is gonna have bad parts every once and a while. You just happened to be the unlucky one. I feel your pain. My 2011 Citadel was plagued with issues from the start...just bad luck. Like others have said, keep good records of what's going on and get everything little thing on writing from the dealer. If you continue to have issues then I would assume you may have a case for replacement, depending on your states lemon laws.

Try and enjoy your RT. It's an amazing vehicle and as you can see on this forum, a lot of people love them. Don't get discouraged, which I knkw can be hard this soon in your ownership. Welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn and full of a good group of people who are eager to help and learn. I wish you the best in the future, hopefully this incendent is the last for a long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to enjoy it! I've finally been able to drive it a bit this weekend. I've noticed it drives like crap in ECO mode. Seems to really sputter when accelerating. But drives much better when ECO mode is off. And the gas mileage is terrible, under 13mpg average since I've had it back. I just came from a Nissan Titan and it got better mileage. These are things that may just be the norm for this durango but I'll never know. All these things could be the effect of an inefficient engine due to minor damage. I didn't even have a week to get to know it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mike, I'm sorry you are having these issues with your brand new car. I would be really pissed. For what it is worth, I have a new R/T with about 1000 miles on it and if I am just driving it in city, my gas mileage is between 13-14 mpg and that is with ECO mode on all the time. So, your mpg sounds normal, albeit bad, and not related to your engine issue.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Your engine is brand new so it needs breaking in(read the manual on recommended break in procedure) and what type of driving are you doing? Is it city like red lights or stops signs every street or highway ? There shouldn't be sputtering in ECO mode. I would get some miles on it with the break in procedure and see if things smooth out. If not, get it back to the dealer to get it checked.

Marty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened. We just bought our 2014 R/T a week ago and I love it, but good lord... reading this is something else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear this happened. We just bought our 2014 R/T a week ago and I love it, but good lord... reading this is something else.
Congrats! I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. I really think this was a fluke and am hoping they fix it. I love the look and features of my r/t. I just want one without a damaged engine, is that too much to ask :) And I really hope the gas mileage gets a little better than 13mpg. I talked my wife out of a used infiniti qx56 for a new durango because of better gas mileage and the reliability of a new car vs used. Jokes on me I guess.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Your main block and cam/pistons were fine. You had a stuck valve with a bent push rod and broken rocker cam. They all are replaced. In all honesty I don't see the relevance to MPG. As long as you have no new engine code it should be all good. You can push for a new engine but I doubt they will replace the car. Even new engine would be a tough luck. Enjoy your new car. I would not worry.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I wouldn't take a rebuilt engine. If they give a new engine that is fine. They just did some work on his upper cam/valve assembly quite different from a rebuilt engine.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I hope your D experience isn't ruined. Understand that in Eco mode, the transmission up shifts quickly and the multi displacement mode is active. There will be a certain roughness felt as the engine lugs and transforms from 8 to 6 to 4 cyl mode and back. 13 in the city isn't too bad. Please don't compare your real experience with the D with numbers on paper for other vehicles.
I urge you to go on a long highway trip. Top off the tank. Refill your tank at a certain point and do simple math to figure your consumption. I did just that and came up with 18.5 mpg. This was with 6 adults on board and some decent grades. I'm not complaining. The D's computer was close with a 20 avg.
if you come back with similar numbers, you're good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts