Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the engine light comes on when in RUN but the engine not running. Once i press the brakes to start the engine, the light goes away. Any help?

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
the engine light comes on when in RUN but the engine not running. Once i press the brakes to start the engine, the light goes away. Any help?
That is normal.

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
1,721 Posts
Have you read your owners manual?

If you don't have one they can be downloaded for free in PDF format from several places including from Dodge.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Did you get your original issue you posted about repaired? The P0018 code? What was the resolution?

Reactions: alejandro03

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Alejandro:

NOPE! 😂 😂 😂

Take it back to them, You paid for the repair, and it obviously it is not repaired yet. They owe you another look at it.

Don

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alejandro:

NOPE! 😂 😂 😂

Take it back to them, You paid for the repair, and it obviously it is not repaired yet. They owe you another look at it.

Don
They replaced the main battery because amp were low. And that might correct the problem big BS. I made a claim with corporate to get my money back cus that didnt fix anything.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Is the code the same as original? If not you might have another issue.

As Don says....take it back and have them remedy it. If they didn't actually fix the issue they need to fix it.

Get the current code(s) read.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the code the same as original? If not you might have another issue.

As Don says....take it back and have them remedy it. If they didn't actually fix the issue they need to fix it.

Get the current code(s) read.
Right now the light is off so they wont do nothing with the car. The light comes up at the wrong time, the weekends when there is no service at the dealers. Is the same fricking code p0018. Which is a general code. Is not just one thing. They replaced the sensor and still the same code? Its crazy

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Really? I mean i am not doubting you but why would that happen? So it will kick back a code if that is the case. If i leave the car in RUN for a minute. The engine light will flash and beep.
From page 250 of the 2017 Durango Owners Manual I just downloaded:

Yellow Telltale Light What It Means Engine Check/Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) The Engine Check/Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is a part of an Onboard Diagnostic System called OBD II that monitors engine and automatic transmission control systems. The light will illuminate when the ignition is in the ON/RUN position before engine start. If the bulb does not come on when turning the key from OFF to ON/RUN, have the condition checked promptly. Certain conditions, such as a loose or missing gas cap, poor quality fuel, etc., may illuminate the light after engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the light stays on through several typical driving styles. In most situations, the vehicle will drive normally and will not require towing. When the engine is running, the MIL may flash to alert serious conditions that could lead to immediate loss of power or severe catalytic converter damage. The vehicle should be serviced as soon as possible if this occurs.

This confirms the SteveMLS Post #2 above as normal.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
What symptoms if any happen when the CEL comes on? Does it run differently?

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Does it run ok though? As long as a code is stored, the light should not have to be on. Consider taking a pic or video when the light appears. If the available current in the battery was really below spec, then a new battery is a good thing. They can die from one start to the next, with little or no warning. You can also say that you have ruled out a bad battery.

Don

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does it run ok though? As long as a code is stored, the light should not have to be on. Consider taking a pic or video when the light appears. If the available current in the battery was really below spec, then a new battery is a good thing. They can die from one start to the next, with little or no warning. You can also say that you have ruled out a bad battery.

Don
Stored code? What does that really means. When i 1st took it to the dealer my "advisor" told me that even though my cel was not on at the moment, they see some other codes other than p0018 "stored". The car runs fine with the cel on or off. I feel nor see no difference in driving. But something is there so its mind bothering. I guess i should be happy about the battery.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,160 Posts
Stored code? What does that really means. When i 1st took it to the dealer my "advisor" told me that even though my cel was not on at the moment, they see some other codes other than p0018 "stored".
The computer will store malfunction codes even if the CEL is not illuminated. They can be read by a code readers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From page 250 of the 2017 Durango Owners Manual I just downloaded:

Yellow Telltale Light What It Means Engine Check/Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) The Engine Check/Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is a part of an Onboard Diagnostic System called OBD II that monitors engine and automatic transmission control systems. The light will illuminate when the ignition is in the ON/RUN position before engine start. If the bulb does not come on when turning the key from OFF to ON/RUN, have the condition checked promptly. Certain conditions, such as a loose or missing gas cap, poor quality fuel, etc., may illuminate the light after engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the light stays on through several typical driving styles. In most situations, the vehicle will drive normally and will not require towing. When the engine is running, the MIL may flash to alert serious conditions that could lead to immediate loss of power or severe catalytic converter damage. The vehicle should be serviced as soon as possible if this occurs.

This confirms the SteveMLS Post #2 above as normal.
No sure if i said this. But thank you for this. I read part of the manual from the mopar app. So i apologies when i said that the manual does not say anything about my situation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I always thought my CEL comes on with key on engine off because it is only reading the battery voltage; not the alternator, so the system thinks the alternator isn't working. As far as I can recall, every vehicle I have ever owned did that, but it went away as soon as it was started.

I think moose was saying that if you are concerned, you can bring it somewhere and have the codes read. My scanner found out that I even had codes from the radio because a CD didn't read at one point in time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts