Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whelp,

After about 10 months of ownership the engine grenaded. It's not worth fixing and a replacement is 5-8k so that just doesn't make sense.

Thanks for all the help over the last few months. It's been nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 09 with the 4.7l with about 130k miles.

No maintenance records when I got it but it was a municipal vehicle so my assumption is that it at least got oil changes.

It honestly just blew itself up. It was fine last Thursday driving to work (but it was - 5° with windchill) but then Friday it threw the code for the cylinder misfire, then I took it to the shop Tuesday after sitting all weekend and they declared it dead.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They declared it dead... meaning what? Given your description, I'm assuming you were still able to drive it. A cylinder misfire doesn't necessarily equate to dead. What did they tell you was actually wrong?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
282 Posts
It sounds like these civil employees just don't want to work on it or try learning how to read the codes. Use a real mechanic who's in it to make money and you might get a different answer.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Being an '09, that's the newer Corsair 303 hp 4.7. It is knocking, or otherwise making noise? If not, I'd look a bit further into this, unless you just want an excuse to get rid of it.

Don

Reactions: DuRonbo

·
Registered
188 Posts
Agreed with the others, this doesn't sound quite like a dead motor from what we've got here.

But ifs dead and happens to be silver and you just want to get out of it, I could use a body panel or two...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Find a shop that will install a salvaged motor. Should be about $2k out the door...or use the opportunity to learn more about working on cars and do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
@ cerd:
The R and R on a Gen 2 Durango engine is pretty labor intensive. Most of the quotes I have seen here from D owners in need of an engine swap, were close to $2k for just the labor. I believe the front of the D has to come off, since the engine sits back under the cowl.

Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts