Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Durango SXT Plus with 40k miles. It was running great until a couple of weeks ago.
The first time the issue showed up was when I pushed the start button and took longer than usual to fire up.
After that, the issue started to show up intermittently taking longer every time to fire up, but always started.
Yesterday it didnt start, so I pushed the button to turn it off after 6 to 8 seconds the starting engine was turning. When it stopped I pushed it back again and the engine fired up just fine, like nothing happened.
Today hapenned again (didnt fire up at the first try) just one time from the 3 I used the car, so my concerns are: first it seems to be randomly, second: I dont have any message or check engine light on, and third: this looks like it is getting worse until eventually it wont start again.
Talking to a friend we thought it could be the fuel pressure regulator, since this device is mechanical and no electrical (otherwise I would be getting the error code) the battery is ok and the air filter too.
Any thoughts or similar expereriences?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
1,389 Posts
Uh, the SXT is not an SRT or a Hellcat, so there's that. Then it might be a fuel pump or the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,217 Posts
Reactions: Tin Foil Hat

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,217 Posts
I have a 2018 Durango SXT Plus with 40k miles. It was running great until a couple of weeks ago.
The first time the issue showed up was when I pushed the start button and took longer than usual to fire up.
After that, the issue started to show up intermittently taking longer every time to fire up, but always started.
Yesterday it didnt start, so I pushed the button to turn it off after 6 to 8 seconds the starting engine was turning. When it stopped I pushed it back again and the engine fired up just fine, like nothing happened.
Today hapenned again (didnt fire up at the first try) just one time from the 3 I used the car, so my concerns are: first it seems to be randomly, second: I dont have any message or check engine light on, and third: this looks like it is getting worse until eventually it wont start again.
Talking to a friend we thought it could be the fuel pressure regulator, since this device is mechanical and no electrical (otherwise I would be getting the error code) the battery is ok and the air filter too.
Any thoughts or similar expereriences?
Sound like the fuel pump is not holding pressure in the line. My 14 did this for a while, it was mainly after it sat for a few hours. I started turning it on without pushing the brake so the fuel pump would build pressure, then it would start on the first try. After a while, it went back to normal and hasn’t done it since. Self healing I guess. Actually, it could be that when I swapped the motor, I started using premium fuel. The higher grade fuel may have more detergents and other things that help keep the system cleaned out. I don’t know!

Reactions: Rodrigolagosh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sound like the fuel pump is not holding pressure in the line. My 14 did this for a while, it was mainly after it sat for a few hours. I started turning it on without pushing the brake so the fuel pump would build pressure, then it would start on the first try. After a while, it went back to normal and hasn’t done it since. Self healing I guess. Actually, it could be that when I swapped the motor, I started using premium fuel. The higher grade fuel may have more detergents and other things that help keep the system cleaned out. I don’t know!
Thank you! This makes a lot of sense, since I always push the start button with the foot on the brake without going thru this intermediate stage “ACC”, where it is supposed all the accesories are getting ready.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2018 Chrysler 300 with the 3.6 started doing this about a month ago. I have been doing what Tony mentioned by letting the fuel pump prime before the first start of the day. Doesn't do it after that, just does it after sitting a while. My searches online have pointed to the fuel pump being the issue although some people have mentioned that after a while theirs finally threw a code for bank one cam sensor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts