Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is kind of a mash of questions into one

Anybody have experience with buying from Element Wheels, Rocky Road Outfitters, or TOYO AT3 tires?

I wanted to get the Rocky Road 2.5” level, and throw Element Wheels (undecided style) 20x9 wheels on it with TOYO AT3’s on a stock 2017 GT.

Any advice on fitment/alternative buying options is really appreciated!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the RRO 2.5" lift, and it is great.

I would recommend the 275/55/20 for the tire size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the RRO 2.5" lift, and it is great.

I would recommend the 275/55/20 for the tire size.
Did you get the control arms as well from RRO? I feel like they are probably necessary in the long run, but I am admittingly dumb about these kinds of things. Also, I am moderately mechanically inclined, is the RRO lift kit something I'm going to have to pay labor for? Or will I be able to do it in my garage?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you get the control arms as well from RRO? I feel like they are probably necessary in the long run, but I am admittingly dumb about these kinds of things. Also, I am moderately mechanically inclined, is the RRO lift kit something I'm going to have to pay labor for? Or will I be able to do it in my garage?

Thanks for the help!

I installed the RRO 2.5" lift on my 2014 AWD in my garage, by myself. My wife helped me a couple of times on the front end.

In hindsight, while I did learn more about the vehicle and purchased a few new tools, I would just pay someone to do it. It is a big pain, especially if you have AWD. The front end is painful by yourself. I had to remove the CV shafts on both sides. The rear end is easier but if you have rusted bolts anywhere, they are a bear to remove. If you have a newer Durango, It would likely be easier.

I did not get upper arms and have experienced negative issues thus far. I bought my kit off of amazon and I think it was $100 cheaper than direct from RRO. But it was the exact same it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed the RRO 2.5" lift on my 2014 AWD in my garage, by myself. My wife helped me a couple of times on the front end.

In hindsight, while I did learn more about the vehicle and purchased a few new tools, I would just pay someone to do it. It is a big pain, especially if you have AWD. The front end is painful by yourself. I had to remove the CV shafts on both sides. The rear end is easier but if you have rusted bolts anywhere, they are a bear to remove. If you have a newer Durango, It would likely be easier.

I did not get upper arms and have experienced negative issues thus far. I bought my kit off of amazon and I think it was $100 cheaper than direct from RRO. But it was the exact same it.
Thanks! I have a 2017 GT AWD, so it looks like it will be going to a shop! I wouldn't mind learning more about my rig, but not at the expense of having to have it towed from my garage because I've done something I can't undo! ha.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was a mechanic in a former life. My friend and I have done transmission swaps in parking lots.

it took us 8 hours to complete on my 17 RT AWD.
I would not attempt it myself on an awd unless extremely confident in your abilities.
I did not get the control arms, and have no negative issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was a mechanic in a former life. My friend and I have done transmission swaps in parking lots.

it took us 8 hours to complete on my 17 RT AWD.
I would not attempt it myself on an awd unless extremely confident in your abilities.
I did not get the control arms, and have no negative issues.
Again I am dumb to this, but is the control arm thing just a upsell? Are they trying to "scare" you into thinking the UCA are going to fail, or are there mechanical/geometry issues when lifting the OEM UCA's?

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
111 Posts
The Rocky Road 2.5" kit will work with existing suspension parts. That is the good thing about that kit. I also have one on mine and it looks good with aggressive tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Rocky Road 2.5" kit will work with existing suspension parts. That is the good thing about that kit. I also have one on mine and it looks good with aggressive tires.
Yes, my plan is to add some more aggressive tires. I would like to take it out on easy/moderate trails and not worry about clearance issues every 500 feet! Ideally I think I would like to find some 18" Wrangler take-offs with AT or MT tires on them, instead of putting new rubber on my 20" blacktop package wheels. This would allow for more sidewall and the ability to airdown a touch for those washboard roads. From what I've seen, with the stock wheels I should be ok going up to a 275/55R20 or an equivalent size tire for an 18" wheel. I am also researching underbody armor offerings, it looks as though most WK2 underbody parts will fit with little to no modification.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Again I am dumb to this, but is the control arm thing just a upsell? Are they trying to "scare" you into thinking the UCA are going to fail, or are there mechanical/geometry issues when lifting the OEM UCA's?
The RRO are stronger and provide a little bit more clearance on the ball joint bolt.
Unless you are trying to actually do serious offroading, or fit the absolutely largest tire possible, then there isnt a real need to upgrade.
I'm at two years and 50k miles of RRO lift on factory control arms with no alignment, fitment, or driveability problems.

Reactions: srotier
1 - 11 of 11 Posts