Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 2000 Durango which keeps having problems and I cant seem to figure out what the issue is.
Right now it will not start with out a battery attached to it to jump it. It will start no problem after another battery is attached but if it is on its own the starter just clicks. I have taken the battery and alternator out and have had them tested and both have come back perfectly fine. Checked and cleaned both positive and negative terminals and connections to starter and block...
Now I am not sure what the issue would be and if its something I can fix in a decent amount of time. Any suggestions or tips that might be able to help?
Other issues addressed to me have been blinker makes buzzing noise when turned on but hazords work fine,on occation radio stays on when something plugged into RIGHT cigarette/power adaptor, power locks making noise but not actually actuationg locks,

·
Super Moderator
12,674 Posts
When you jump it, do you attach the negative cable to the engine block or to the battery post?

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
When you say the posts were cleaned, did the clamps actually get pulled from the battery and the posts and the inside of the clamps made shiny clean? If not, do that. There is a connection problem in there somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did do that, have completely cleaned everything... also the alarm has been acting up, could that be an issue?

·
Administrator
8,022 Posts
All of your symptoms say bad battery. Just by adding the additional power source your starter works fine. Without it, you have several electrical problems that say bad connections or no power exists with the battery in the D. The electrical system is very critical in needing sufficient current to make everything work. Even though it has been tested, it can still be defective. How old is the current battery? If 3 years or older, replace it, as you are on borrowed time anyway. Also for the rest of you out there, Exide, one of the largest battery makers for autos, has just declared bankruptcy.

·
Administrator
28,310 Posts
Agree Battery is sounds defective.
STEVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
x3 it is very likely the battery is faulty which explains the start with a jump. As regards to all the odd
electrical issues you described can be caused by poor body grounds OR bad battery, just install the jump battery
and you know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts