Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New guy here...

Looking to replace my wife's 12 year old Sienna with an SUV. Considering both the Durango and the new Pilot - not the Highlander, too small.

Has anyone cross-shopped these two vehicles? If so, could you provide your impressions how they compare/contrast?

TIA.

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
There were a few threads here pre-2016, but nothing concerning the refreshed model. Personally, the comparisons can start when they offer an R/T model with a V8. That's not me being a smart-azz, either. In my opinion they are in two different classes. There's a Durango that has a V6 and is geared more toward the soccer mom crowd, but there isn't a Pilot that has any muscle on its' bones.

Question to you.. Have you driven either or both yet?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
We went from a 2006 Sienna to the Durango.....and I'm with Durangutan. Comparing the two isn't even fair for Honda.

Isn't the Pilot FWD compared to the Durango's RWD? They both have AWD available but they're just not in the same class.

The Durango tows more than the Pilot even when you compare V6 to V6.

For the price of a loaded Pilot (V6 only, remember) you could have a loaded RT or Citadel. There's no way I'm buying a $50,000 Honda with a V6 when I could have a Hemi for the same price.

This would be like comparing a Charger and an Accord. Dodge is for drivers that want to feel some excitement during the ride.....an emotional response. Honda is for the driver that just wants to get from point a to point b.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thanks for your reply :).

I would like the V8, but am worried about the fuel bill.

Thinking about the 6 cyl with Rallye package vs the new Pilot - seems pretty close in both power and mileage.

Planning to drive both in near future.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
The big difference between the two vehicles is that the Durango is rear wheel based and is geared towards a driving machine. The other is basically a minivan with less space.

I am not trying to denigrate the Pilot, its just a fact. If you are looking for a minivan that doesn't look like a minivan then the Pilot is probably you best bet. If you are looking for a true SUV that has more capabilities and more power than it's competition then get the Durango.

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
First off, expect a strong Durango bias here. It's only natural. However, also expect to be treated fairly here, because this forum is a great place with awesome people who will not body-slam you for your opinion. It's a great virtue of this forum.

I agree with what ppowell is saying. The Pilot, boiling away all the meat, is a minivan with a long front end. And that's fine, and a lot of people want that. The Durango, as mentioned, is built not only with purpose in mind, but also with the driver in mind. It's refined, sporty, solid, and has performance in its DNA even at the most base of models offered. What I'm trying to say is, the Pilot will never be more than transportation. The Durango is an experience. Sound corny? Drive it and see. Drive a Citadel or an R/T, and see what I mean. And the V6 is no slouch either, and fuel economy between them is all but negligible.

Actually, when you drive them come back please and give us a good report on them. I'd love a comp thread here with the new 2016.

·
Registered
666 Posts

I like these guys. Check out the link and the rest of their reviews. They've done them all...

The Pilot is much smaller so if you're coming from a Minivan then the Pilot will be a big step down. Given that the other usual differentiators (purchase price, fuel economy, etc.) are so close in the whole class, I think it basically comes down to appearance and personal preference. I'm getting a Durango.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Chase300 is right, I'm a 12-year Pilot guy. My 2004 is at 145k trouble-free miles but the wife insists a new vehicle is in order. I waited anxiously to see the new Pilot design (particularly since it was delayed a year) and my disappointment at the unveiling was brutal. The Pilot has become a chromed-out blob that looks more like a minivan than an SUV. The front end design is a mess, the short, sloped hood looks goofy, the rear end looks like an afterthought. My '04 may be filled with hard interior plastics, but at least it has a utilitarian look and feel. For 2016 Honda seems to have relegated the Pilot to "Mall-Runner Mom" status.

The real dealbreaker for me, though, is the fact you can't get a rear bench seat with the top trim level. I have 3 kids. With captains chairs I'd always have to put one kid in the third row, killing half my cargo space. That's a no-go for camping and road trips. Toyota has done the same thing with the Highlander. Lame.

I know the Durango will be more problematic than the Honda over the long term. That said, it's an acceptable compromise to get a vehicle that is more powerful, far better looking, sportier, more fun to drive, and allows me to get a rear bench seat along with all the safety and convenience features I want.

Durango wins.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
So they are using the ZF 9-speed in the upper trims...same trans used in the Jeep Cherokee and Renegade.
Not sure that is a plus or not.

I like the rear dual position storage cover...a clever Honda solution.
Seems everyone is trying to copy the Uconnect touch screen.

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,160 Posts
I would like the V8, but am worried about the fuel bill.

Thinking about the 6 cyl with Rallye package vs the new Pilot - seems pretty close in both power and mileage.
Unless you are planning heavy duty towing, the V-6 is more than adequate, especially with the standard 8-speed transmission.

At the end of the day, one is a bad-ass SUV that looks great, rides great, and really hauls. The other is a Honda...
:D

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
RHF the only thing I will take you to task for is your reliability claim. I don't think you can definitively state long term reliability at this point. And stating it as a fact like you did could taint OP's POV, seeing a future D buyer 'accept' that his purchase will come with more future issues. What gives?

·
Registered
890 Posts
RHF the only thing I will take you to task for is your reliability claim. I don't think you can definitively state long term reliability at this point. And stating it as a fact like you did could taint OP's POV, seeing a future D buyer 'accept' that his purchase will come with more future issues. What gives?
No, there are no absolutes in life, but the smart man's money says the Honda will prove more trouble-free over the long term. This is reflected in nearly any reliability survey you will find. Yes, the 2016 Pilot is an all-new model and will have some first-year bugs. That said, the Durango is in its, what, sixth year of this gen? And Dodge still hasn't worked out all the kinks. Sad, really, but it is what it is. A BMW will be more problematic than an Accord. But some people don't want to drive an Accord. Life is about compromises.

If your number one priority is lowest cost to own, the Honda is the way to go. That's a simple fact. But you will be driving an automotive appliance that will never deserve a backwards glance in a parking lot.

I'm choosing the Durango because it's a vehicle I want to drive. And look at. And listen to. Yes, it will almost certainly cost me more over the long run. And it will be worth it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'll just leave this here...

Dodge Durango vs. Honda Pilot - CarsDirect
"What's the Difference?

The Durango takes its passenger-carrying role seriously, yet also provides truck-like capability for those who need it. The Pilot's top priority is space for people and things. Its best application is as an all-weather alternative to a minivan.

Our Verdict: Dodge Durango

Oh, and this... from Consumer Reports Online.. their TOP RATED Large SUV... and that's for the v6 version.. imagine if they reviewed the HEMI R/T???
Screen Shot 2015-07-14 at 12.28.12 PM.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,176 Posts
the smart man's money says the Honda will prove more trouble-free over the long term.

I'm choosing the Durango because it's a vehicle I want to drive. And look at. And listen to. Yes, it will almost certainly cost me more over the long run. And it will be worth it.
Ah, so you're not a smart man? You're choosing an inferior vehicle, knowing it will break down, cause trouble, and cost more in the long run? I say don't waste your time or hassle with the Durango. Get the Pilot. That's what the smart man would do, right?

And AMStatic, I didn't mean to disparage the V6, I apologize. It didn't sound right, you got me there.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts