Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Wouldn’t trailer sway be an indicator that I need a better WDH? The trailer tracks perfect it’s the front of the car that is light and swaying? I just want to make sure before I spend a bunch of money on a new WDH.
Your weights show the WDH is transferring enough to the steer axle. If it was light by say 200 lbs then it would be a different story.

i’d start with a higher load rated tire (XL) at max psi and see how that changes your steering feel

And yes measurement 3 was with the hitch in the car however the bars where in the TT.
WDH should be in the hitch for #3

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Your weights show the WDH is transferring enough to the steer axle. If it was light by say 200 lbs then it would be a different story.

i’d start with a higher load rated tire (XL) at max psi and see how that changes your steering feel

WDH should be in the hitch for #3
At the risk of sounding stupid when we’re talking about XL tires are we all talking about on the TT or the DD?

·
Registered
2015 Durango Citadel (Hemi AWD); 2015 Honda Odyssey; 2016 Honda Pilot (AWD)
21 Posts
I have a Fastway E2 as well. If you need to adjust the height where the hitch ball sits, you can unbolt the head portion (not sure what it's called) from the shank that goes into the hitch and adjust it up and down. I actually bought a different shank for mine (got the hitch used) to be able to adjust it properly.

Fastway sells a bunch of different shanks to get the correct height. https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Accessories_and_Parts-pt-Shanks.aspx
We are talking XL tires for the Durango.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I currently have Bridgestone Blizzak tires as I will be towing from Mississippi to Alaska this December but with some research I see that those tires are extremely soft rubber tires so it does seem likely that this may be the issue. However it looks like all winter tires are made from softer rubber, I don’t feel it would be wise to not use winter tires through Canada in the dead of winter so I’m not sure what route I should go?
PSI is 40

·
Registered
2018 DD R/T AWD
482 Posts
So I currently have Bridgestone Blizzak tires as I will be towing from Mississippi to Alaska this December but with some research I see that those tires are extremely soft rubber tires so it does seem likely that this may be the issue. However it looks like all winter tires are made from softer rubber, I don’t feel it would be wise to not use winter tires through Canada in the dead of winter so I’m not sure what route I should go?
PSI is 40
Ahh, yes, the Blizzaks will be a little squirrely. I have never done any distance towing of a TT with snow tires on. For that trip, you will want to have everything dialed in just-so. I am not sure how to advise you from here.

Sounds like you have about the best setup one can imagine. I hope the soft part of the compound on those tires doesn't burn off before you hit the Canada border. This is going to be quite a road-trip!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same story I had with my Equalizer hitch using their own supplied grease for ‘quieting’ down the creaky sounding hitch embarrassing to take thru the campground, took away the sway control, ended up again with a Hensley on my DD that got rid of the sway.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts