Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone actually drive both of these vehicles? I am keeping an eye on used prices and both fall in the upper $50's to low $60k for 1-2 years old. Would be a RT TnG with adaptive cruise or a GC L Overland/Summit with air suspension and tech package.

I imagine the Durango being a funner drive and sound better but it's lacking some of the 'luxury' features the GC L would have. More important ones are 360 camera, highway assist autonomous driving, digital dash.

I am currently driving a 2015 Grand Cherokee Hemi, High Altitude and won't buy another vehicle without adaptive cruise.

· Super Moderator
13,220 Posts
I drive a '23 GC L Summit every day, but I haven't driven a gen-3 R/T in quite a while.. so I can only talk about half of the question.

The '23 air suspension is much firmer than the air suspension was on my '14 GC. ms.tomk says it is TOO firm, but I can't accuse it of that.

Certainly the Summit vs. R/T trims are aimed at very different audiences.

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Go with a Durango R/T Tow-n-go.
My dealer has a 2022 with 15k miles on it and it is a CPO for 55k.
Probably could get it for 54k or less. The real question I think is, do you want a V6 or V8?

· Registered
508 Posts
The TowNGo is now 5 years old (actually much older than that as it was "borrowed" from the Grand Cherokee SRT) the good thing about this suspension is that it is pretty bulletproof, we had a Grand Cherokee SRT for 10 years and it gave us zero issues. The new Air Ride on the Grand Cherokee L is going to be smoother based on the wife's test drive.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The real question I think is, do you want a V6 or V8?
I would definitely get a V8 with any of these two choices. If I was going towards anything with less power, I would save myself $15,000 and get a Palisades, used.

I am torn between the Tech/interior of the GCL and the sound/looks of the RT..lol

· Registered
2017 AWD durango GT 3.6
1,063 Posts
Don't think there is much difference between the 5.7 durango and 5.7 JGC L except that the JGC will be a tad slower just like the V6 versions. I have a DD GT and my bro has a JGC L V6 which is a tad slower than my DD. One of these days I am going to see if I can read his stock tune just to compare timing and PE fueling tables. My suspicion is they are not going to vary much at all, kinda what I see when I compare a charger RT and Challenger RT tune.

· Premium Member
2,947 Posts
I would definitely get a V8 with any of these two choices. If I was going towards anything with less power, I would save myself $15,000 and get a Palisades, used.

I am torn between the Tech/interior of the GCL and the sound/looks of the RT..lol
The interior of the Durango R/T is pretty nice and gets more special if you get the upgraded headliner and dash.
The new Jeep interior is OK as well and really nice on the top end models but it such a different animal then the TnG R/T.
The TnG suspension is pure sport and rides harder then the standard R/T. My Standard R/T rides much smoother then my wife's 21 JGC High Altitude so don't be fooled by the air ride.
If price was the same, I would go for the TnG but that is me.

· Registered
5,918 Posts
I just had a '22 or '23 Durango R/T rental for a week...build date was 11/22 so probably a 2023 model. The ride is poor compared to my '14 Citadel. Much firmer with no handling improvement or at least no difference I could tell. I'd never buy one over the Citadel...though I did find the new dash layout a big .improvement...and Sport mode a must for getting in and out of heavy traffic.

· Registered
2022 Dodge Durango R/T Plus Tow ‘N Go with Blacktop Package
22 Posts
I went from a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude to a 2022 Dodge Durango R/T Tow N Go. I debated going with a Grand Cherokee L Overland at the time, but picked the Durango TNG for its much superior towing capability and sportier driving. Also, I did not have a good experience with the Quadra Lift suspension on my Jeep. I did not find it to be reliable in the cold climate region where I live. So far, I am quite impressed with the Durango. It is so much fun to drive and an outstanding tow vehicle. The only areas in which I preferred the Jeep was in winter driving conditions and for off-roading.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts