Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Durango. 5.7 Hemi. The engine is going to aprox 3400rpm before switching out of 1st and 2nd gear. It just started about a week ago. No prior signs or slippings. Any idea? Thank you for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
I have an 05 Durango. 5.7 Hemi. The engine is going to aprox 3400rpm before switching out of 1st and 2nd gear. It just started about a week ago. No prior signs or slippings. Any idea? Thank you for any help.
Is the fluid level good and is the fluid dark and burnt smelling? (D must be fully warm and running while checking transmission fluid level).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid level is good and clean. I had a shop flush it out and put in a new trans filter. Still no luck. They are thinking new trans, but its got to be something else to all of a sudden go haywire.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
First, was it acting up prior to the flush or after? Because I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories here and around the web that a flush is a bad thing; it can push debris into the valve body and cause troubles. A drain and filter change/fill is pretty much the standard. Second, for S&G, have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while and see if there's an electrical booger that may clear itself if the system goes cold for a while? Easy and free, at least something to do prior to pronouncing the tranny dead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, was it acting up prior to the flush or after? Because I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories here and around the web that a flush is a bad thing; it can push debris into the valve body and cause troubles. A drain and filter change/fill is pretty much the standard. Second, for S&G, have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while and see if there's an electrical booger that may clear itself if the system goes cold for a while? Easy and free, at least something to do prior to pronouncing the tranny dead.
I did the flush after the issue happened. I tried the battery thing too. Still no luck.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Hard to say. Sounds like maybe the output sensor or something electrical if you have clean, debris free fluid. I'm not a transmission expert so hopefully we can get someone to chime in here with some ideas.

·
Super Moderator
13,020 Posts
No check-engine light? Seems like this would set a code..

If you can get an OBD reader that can look at live data, see what the throttle% looks like.. maybe the TPS is wedged.. though I'd expect that to cause idle problems..

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would go with replacement of both in and output speed sensors.
I have a 05 3.7 V6 and when I had issues with those speed sensors it screwed up my rpms cause sensors were giving wrong speed info so it messed up shifting.
My idle was also fine and no engine light.
Do NOT buy aftermarket sensors that is your warning lol
I had the headache of going aftermarket and then having to buy dealer sensors.
Our 05's I have learned do not do well with aftermarket.

Its a lot cheaper then buying a tranny and I helped my problem in my 05 so hopefully it does the same for you.

Also NEVER do a flush.
I have seen it ruin many tranny's.
Always stick with a simple fluid and filter change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would go with replacement of both in and output speed sensors.
I have a 05 3.7 V6 and when I had issues with those speed sensors it screwed up my rpms cause sensors were giving wrong speed info so it messed up shifting.
My idle was also fine and no engine light.
Do NOT buy aftermarket sensors that is your warning lol
I had the headache of going aftermarket and then having to buy dealer sensors.
Our 05's I have learned do not do well with aftermarket.

Its a lot cheaper then buying a tranny and I helped my problem in my 05 so hopefully it does the same for you.

Also NEVER do a flush.
I have seen it ruin many tranny's.
Always stick with a simple fluid and filter change.
I actually just did a fluid replacement and filter, I did not "flush", thankfully. My problem sounds pretty similar to yours. I'll definitely try both sensors from the dealer. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts