Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2021 dodge durango GT without tow package, but want to add it and im not talking about just the tow hitch and wiring i want to be able to have the 6500lbs towing capacity. I know you can add the tow hitch and wiring almost anywhere but only get around 3500lbs capacity what can i do in order to get the 6500 lb capacity, is there a tow package kit or any way of installing it parts by part aftermarket? If so has anyone gone throught the process already?

·
Registered
2014 Durango Limited V-6 / AWD
1,256 Posts
It might be easier and cheaper to see if the dealer will take that one back and sell you one with the factory tow package. The tow package includes heavy duty cooling, better brakes, load leveling rear shocks, bigger alternator (maybe), plus the hitch and wiring - and maybe a couple of things I'm forgetting. I'm not sure you would be able to buy and install all of that.

ETA: From the Dodge site, under Build & Price, here is what is included in the Tow Package, although it may not be an exhaustive list:
  • Class IV Receiver-Hitch
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Heavy-Duty Engine Cooling
  • Rear Load-Leveling Suspension
  • Steel Spare Wheel
  • Trailer Brake Controller

·
Registered
764 Posts
You could easily spend the $3,000

$1,000 + for the rear load leveling shocks installed

$1,000 heavy duty radiator installed. I would also verify parts numbers for the water pump

$500+ hitch, wiring, brake controller

Not that it effects weight but I believe the base alternator is 160A vs the tow package 180A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts