Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My name is Pavel and I am from the Czech Republic. I visit your forum and I must say it is great.
Two years ago I fulfilled my dream and bought a new Durango RT AWD. From the very beginning the car has a problem with a warm start.
When Durango tries to start with a warm engine after about 1.5 - 2 hours of standing, it does not want to start. The diagnostics do not show any fault. The throttle body was replaced. It did not help. The car has this defect from the beginning, it manifests itself mainly at outside temperatures above 20 degrees C, or even at lower temperatures, when the sun is shining on the car. If I want to start the car after 20 or 30 minutes, it will start normally, the same after 3-4 hours.
So far no one here could help me.
On Youtube I put 2 videos of what the starts of my Durango can look like.
Video 1, Video 2
Please, is there someone who can advise me?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Has anyone looked at the fuel system?

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Pavel:
Just to rule it out, have the battery load tested. Next, I don't recall you saying how many miles or KM are on it?
You may have some kind of a thermal issue at play here.

Don

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just a thought for you...
A leaking or dripping fuel injector when engine is shut off.
A leak occurring under short time periods causes engine to be flooded and causing start issues.
Let the engine sit for longer period of time and same fuel leak is eventually dissipated.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pavel:
Just to rule it out, have the battery load tested. Next, I don't recall you saying how many miles or KM are on it?
You may have some kind of a thermal issue at play here.

Don
29000 km, battery is ok

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a thought for you...
A leaking or dripping fuel injector when engine is shut off.
A leak occurring under short time periods causes engine to be flooded and causing start issues.
Let the engine sit for longer period of time and same fuel leak is eventually dissipated.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Thank you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Could be a battery going bad. If you have a way to check your battery, make sure it still has enough amperage to start your truck.

Also what type of fuel are you running through it? I know standards are different in Europe, so it's possible there's an issue with the fuel type. Either that or a fuel system problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be a battery going bad. If you have a way to check your battery, make sure it still has enough amperage to start your truck.

Also what type of fuel are you running through it? I know standards are different in Europe, so it's possible there's an issue with the fuel type. Either that or a fuel system problem.
Thank you, At the next service visit, I will have the battery checked and advised them to check the fuel system and injectors

·
Registered
213 Posts
It sounds sporadic based on the sit time you mention. Does it turn over and TRY to start, or just flat out does nothing, is the power/electronics on when this happens or is that dead too?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you, At the next service visit, I will have the battery checked and advised them to check the fuel system and injectors
Definitely a good step. You can also try running a good fuel system cleaner through it and see if that helps. I always use BG 44K, but I'm not sure how easily attainable that is for you in the Czech Republic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds sporadic based on the sit time you mention. Does it turn over and TRY to start, or just flat out does nothing, is the power/electronics on when this happens or is that dead too?
You hit it. There have been a lot of those starts in those 2 years. My observations show that usually the starter turns very briefly, then the engine runs, but goes out, all within 1-2 seconds. The second start is very long and either the engine is running or the starter stops turning after 5 seconds. He usually starts on the third try. Gasoline stinks behind the car.
If I want to avoid it all, I start the car with the accelerator pedal depressed slightly, then the engine starts.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You hit it. There have been a lot of those starts in those 2 years. My observations show that usually the starter turns very briefly, then the engine runs, but goes out, all within 1-2 seconds. The second start is very long and either the engine is running or the starter stops turning after 5 seconds. He usually starts on the third try. Gasoline stinks behind the car.
If I want to avoid it all, I start the car with the accelerator pedal depressed slightly, then the engine starts.
This is very good info. It will bring up more possible causes, but more specific in depth. Very good diagnostic conditions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts