Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the shocks are worn out on my dd at 90,000 miles. my question is what are the best most long lasting replacements. also could I put the citadel shocks or rear load leveling shocks from the trailer tow package on my r/t for a softer ride or for better trailer control with the load leveling shocks?

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Yes, should all bolt on...might need different mounts for rear load leveling shocks to mount in place of non-load leveling.
Sachs is OEM...KYB also has options for both and they have lifetime warranty. They also have a smooth ride...less firm than say Bilstein...but most of the ride difference between the R/T and Citadel is due to the springs..not the shocks. The struts/shocks are probably the same on the models.

Check Rockauto...they show several options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, should all bolt on...might need different mounts for rear load leveling shocks to mount in place of non-load leveling.
Sachs is OEM...KYB also has options for both and they have lifetime warranty. They also have a smooth ride...less firm than say Bilstein...but most of the ride difference between the R/T and Citadel is due to the springs..not the shocks. The struts/shocks are probably the same on the models.

Check Rockauto...they show several options.
considering the originals lasted 90k i'm going to look at the kyb shocks. do you have experience with the bilsteins or the kyb?

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,212 Posts
Liking my 2013 Citadel AWD ride quality! With Tow Package so has heavy duty Suspension!

Reactions: Chase300

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Yes, I've used KYB GR-2's now Excel-G in a couple vehicles and put well over 100K on both of them without issue. No experience with Bilstein, but those that have them speak positive about them. They seem to be a more sport oriented shock over the KYB Excel which is a Twin-tube shock vs Bilstein which is a Mono-shock.

Read more here;

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I've used KYB GR-2's now Excel-G in a couple vehicles and put well over 100K on both of them without issue. No experience with Bilstein, but those that have them speak positive about them. They seem to be a more sport oriented shock over the KYB Excel which is a Twin-tube shock vs Bilstein which is a Mono-shock.

Read more here;
can I ask, do you prefer gr-2's over the excel g's or vice versa. definitely going to go with the kybs but unsure of which one.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I've only had GR-2's.
I think the Excel-G's replaced the GR-2's.

But I was looking at the options a bit closer and noticed the only options for the FRONT shocks are Mopar or Bilstein. KYB only has options for the rear shocks.
So with that I'd pony up the extra coin for the Bilstein over the Mopar. Unless your R/T is AWD, then you might only have the Mopar option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts