Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was set to seriously look into a Dodge Durango to tow my small camper (less than 3,000 lbs) but am being told that I can expect 100,000 miles from the dodge. Talk me out of looking into something else.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,056 Posts
Ok, I was set to seriously look into a Dodge Durango to tow my small camper (less than 3,000 lbs) but am being told that I can expect 100,000 miles from the dodge. Talk me out of looking into something else.
Clarification please. Did you mean only 100,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
2021 RT Destroyer Grey Blacktop
62 Posts
I've heard about both 3.6 PentaStar's and 5.7 Hemi's with over 200k still running great with no issues.
I've also heard the opposite, both needing major work at 50k or less or even complete replacement.
I personally had a Hemi in a Ram that was still running strong after 150k when I traded it with no issues.

Its hard to tell how long a motor will last these days. That's true for any manufacture not just Dodge.
Most of them all offer the same 3-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper coverage and 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain coverage.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,100 Posts
Got 198,000 miles on my 2008 Durango Hemi Limited. No leaks, no issues...still running strong.

105,500 on my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. Same as above.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6
2,100 Posts
If you're worried about longevity get a short term lease that stays under warranty for the full term of the lease !!

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
735 Posts
Since the 2000s engines have become very durable and reliable. You have already seen this for yourself. I too have multiple vehicles with 125K to 230K miles on them and my '16 Durango has 83K on it so far. I continue to be amazed at how reliable vehicles have become compared to where they were in the 80s and 90s. With that in mind, there are issues here and there with all vehicles and engines with some issues being known problems that manufacturers deal with and some that they don't touch with a 10 foot pole.

My Chevy truck leaks oil, my Charger has a couple of unfound issues, my Caravan needs motor mounts. But these are high mileage issues that WILL crop up. If you're unsure of your decision then you need to read up for a few weeks or months on the vehicle you want so you gain an understanding of what you MIGHT encounter. Just keep in mind that tens of thousands of any model of car are built each year and so the problems you hear about are only in a small fraction of those. This forum might make it seem that Durangos have nothing but trouble but you have to remember that this forum exists to solve issues that people have with Durangos so a high percentage of these posts are about problems even though they don't represent the majority of Durangos built.

Reactions: DuRonbo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts