Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 V6 Crew with the factory tow package and I'm looking to get a 21-24' camper trailer to pull behind it. I'm a beginner at towing, so I'm starting from ground-zero. Does the factory tow package come with anti-sway bars or some anti-sway system? If so, is it good enough? If I get an equilizer hitch, will I need to get sway bars?
Those who have experience towing a camper please let me know what your setup is. Again, I don't know much about towing, so any information is useful.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
You'll want a brake controller for the trailer, most states have laws stating over 3000lbs (or around there, 3k is Indiana) must be equipped with trailer brakes. The Durango does have an anti-sway system, but you should still get a good weight distributing hitch and it never hurts to get anti-sway bars. Better to be safe than sorry

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. Do all Durango's with the tow package come with the anti-sway system? How could I find out if mine for sure does?

·
Super Moderator
12,775 Posts
The anti-sway system uses the ABS system to try to counteract sway by applying individual tow-vehicle brakes.. which is very different from how a true anti-sway system works.

All tow-equipped (and even non-tow-equipped I think) Durangos come with this ABS=based anti-swal.. it is just part of the stability control..

A true anti-sway applies damping forces at the tongue to counteract side-to-side movement, which will often keep sway from even happening.
The ABS anti-sway tries to keep you on the road so you can pull over and change your underwear.

Whether you need sway control depends on what you're towing, how it's loaded, and what conditions you tow under.

I'll move this into the towing forum shortly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts