Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm experiencing a loud rattle noise. Anyone else experience this or have any diagnosis? I took a video:

This only happens during certain circumstances for some reason. It only happens if I'm cruising over 70 miles an hour or accelerating above 65ish. It's obviously metal rattling but not sure where. It's very clearly to the left of the steering wheel. I'm going on a mini vacation next week and then med school begins the week after that and I really need my vehicle for both. I'm not sure if it's serious, but it needs remedied regardless. I hope the dealership could diagnose from this video because the speed limit is 55 where I live. I don't want them to not be able to recreate the noise and therefore not fix it. I hate to drive colossal speeds on a police littered highway. Anyone have any idea before I take it in to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It sounds like pre ignition or ping in valve train. Does it do it accelerating hard from a stop? Any particular RPM range that you can pin it down to?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Accelerating and/or braking from 0-60 it doesn't do it. I torqued it hard and accelerated full throttle from a dead stop to 60 and it doesn't do it. However, when I'm over 65-70, it does it when I'm cruising or accelerating. (Obviously worse when I accelerate). So I can't pin point RPM range because it doesn't do it at lower speeds when I'm all over the rev range. Only above 65. It's incredibly bizarre. I wish I were more help. Like I said, it's VERY noticeably to the left of my steering wheel somewhere. I fear it is internal in the dash, but your guy's guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
However, when I'm cruising at those speeds, my RPM tends to hover around 2000 RPM. (+/- 100).

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well it's not pre ignition if it only does it as you described. I can't tell from video that it is a loose screw but maybe. You mite check heat shields under hood for anything that appears to be loose on the driver's side .I'm not aware of any metal shields under dash but maybe look under dash for anything peculiar.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll give it all a quick sweep. Unfortunately they told me at the dealership that they couldn't get me in until the 21st or I could try to bring it in and keep my fingers crossed they could get to me. Unfortunately I'm not as mechanically savvy as others so I don't know 100% what I'm looking for, but I'll look for any loose screw, washer, bolt, or anything metal lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can't get the video to play... but sound bounces around in strange ways in a car cockpit. Do you happen to have sunglasses in the overhead?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. I know the difference in something plastic rattling over head and something vibrating left of the steering column. This is definitely something located in the area of the driver side hood hinge. Along where the washer fluid hose runs up to the top of the hood.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have to agree now that I was able to hear the issue, it is not what I was referring to.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed one of the plastic rivets or brackets holding in the washer hose is EXTREMELY loose and the hose has a lot of play in it. I'm going to tape that bad boy down and when I go to Lexington (about 2 hours of interstate driving), I'll see if that remedied it. Thanks for your guy's input.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello - In case you haven't figured it out yet, I had an odd rattling/buzzing in the same area but at a different speed/RPM. Service found a loose bolt around the parking brake and tightened it. Noise is gone now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll check, and in that video it's tough to discern the location exactly, but it's certainly not around my knees or feet area. Though I won't necessarily rule anything out. Was it anything that required removing parts of the dash to obtain access to?

·
Registered
30 Posts
They took apart everything in and around the dash in search of this noise. I believe they did have to remove the part under the dash to get to the bolt, but I can't tell you for certain. At first they thought it was the heater hose rubbing against something.

I actually didn't hear the noise down around my knees or feet -- I thought it was coming from somewhere behind the steering column. But that's what it was, for sure.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We'll see how it turns out tomorrow. If it's still bad, I'll have no choice but to take it in and wait to hope they can figure it out.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After going to Lexington and back, it didn't make the sound. It did once for half a second, but it was really quiet. I also think I was looking for it so anything I heard I thought it was that. So I believe the hose was the issue. I just taped it up and wrapped it around the hood hinge and it was fine. I'll tell them about it when I get it serviced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts