Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Background: I am looking to buy a 2021 Durango R/T with either the Tow IV package or Tow n Go. We do not currently have anything to tow, but down the road I want to get a small travel trailer to take little trips with the kids. Both packages would accommodate whatever I get, so I am not so much worried about tow capacity comparisons. I do like the snow mode feature on the Tow n Go since I live in NJ, with alot of steep hills and mountains, so I am feeling like that would be a very good feature to have in winter.

SO my questions, hmm. I guess to start, has anyone gotten the Tow IV then regretted it and wished they had gotten Tow n GO? Anyone with Tow n Go get it and regret it? If so, why? DId you find that Tow N Go is overly too loud? (I saw some people complaining that it was way too loud, that's why I included that question here). Do you find that you use the special modes, like snow modes, to find it worth it? Anything else you would like to share that would help me choose between these two tow options? Thank you so much for all of your input!! I appreciate all of the help!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If tow capacity is a consideration, from what you describe not having anything to tow currently and that the consideration is a small travel trailer, you won't have any issue with any model in my opinion. I say this as I used my old 2011 V6 Durango I used to tow my project cars around. Keep in mind, as tow capacity is a HUGE factor in my purchase, that the majority of SUVs don't go over 5,000 lbs tow capacity. The only others I found are the Explorer (5,600) and Suburban/Tahoe (~7,800/7,900). So with the R/T AWD (7,200); R/T RWD (7,400); and TnG (8,700), there's really no issue.
The only real issue my V6 had was towing a vehicle through the Rockies in Colorado. It definitely was bogging down through the Appalachians in West Virginia as well. In both these cases, it was not just a vehicle being towed, but also full of cargo for moving, in the baby V6. That said, since you are seeking an R/T, either model will easily exceed your described towing needs. Since you're describing concerns about snow, I don't know if you're focusing on the AWD model when you look at the R/T Tow IV package, which I would recommend, as AWD vs RWD should definitely be a priority vs with or without snow mode.

Per the 2022 Performance Features Guide, here's what Snow mode setting does: Transmission starts in second gear and all wheel drive is set to 50/50. Both of these are settings that are conducive to traction from a stop. Durango Drive Modes I'm sure someone who's used the modes will be able to chime in, as I just got my new TnG and haven't tried the snow or tow modes yet.

As far as being too loud, I would say if loudness of a vehicle is a concern/consideration, then yep, it's too loud. They did not intend for the TnG to be discrete in any way.

Here's pics of my old 2011 V6 and what I've towed through mountains with it.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Cloud

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
Durango Hellcat
316 Posts
I don’t know much about either of these two packages but the tow and snow modes each work as described for me. With Tow mode the added noise canceling really took away the exhaust noise caused by staying in high RPMs and snow mode on all seasons helped drive around without any kind of struggle for traction.

I would go AWD with the snow and tow modes personally regardless of the engine choice/trim level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts