Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far the vehicle has run smoothly up until this morning. Driving at slow speeds in traffic (25-35mph) as soon as I lifted off the gas it felt like the vehicle was slightly braking or towing something. Idling also felt rougher. Later tonight when it started to get worse at slow speeds I turned on the performence pages to see what gear it was in. At slow speeds (25-30mph) it very quickly went up to 6th gear (on its own, i dont use paddle shifters) and was slow to down shift. Getting onto the highway it wasn't smooth like it normaly is. I changed from sport and street mode but no difference. Getting off highway it stayed in 8th gear for the next 2 miles of 35-45mph driving. What is likely the issue? Has 1,100 miles on it, took it easy first 500, and since have done some quick accelerations but havent even broken a 6 sec 0-60.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. Run it 90% of the time in street mode. Other time in sport. Same shifting issue in both.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Definitely take it in. Doesn’t sound right of course. Ours is smooth as butter until it switches into 4 cycle and it feels like it’s lugging but it doesn’t slow. Sounds like a transmission issue.

I drove 600 miles for 10 hours the first day from 16 miles at pick up and since then drove the heck out of it. Hit 4.4 secs 0-60 last night at around 875 miles on the Odometer.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
What you are describing isn't matching up to what you are seeing. If the trans is staying in a higher gear, it will not feel as if you're engine braking. The vehicle will feel sluggish and slow to accelerate.

When in Sport or Track mode the trans is supposed to hold the lower gears longer to provide better acceleration. If you are in traffic and let off the gas instead of pressing down on it, it will feel as if you're engine braking until the trans shifts to a higher gear. The fact that it stayed in 8th gear for 2 miles isn't an issue unless you are trying to accelerate and the trans isn't downshifting.

On your 0-60 runs, were they from a stop? Clear road (track-like conditions) or with traffic around? Were you able to stomp the gas pedal and hold it down the entire time?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I would have it looked at. I have an 18' AWD R/T and broke 6 secs stock (well 5.96s), except for a drop in K&N air filter. You should be hitting the 4 second range all day long.

Have you tried manually shifting to see if it still does it? If it doesn't, I suspect you have a programming issue, still something I would have looked at either way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
What you are describing isn't matching up to what you are seeing. If the trans is staying in a higher gear, it will not feel as if you're engine braking. The vehicle will feel sluggish and slow to accelerate.

When in Sport or Track mode the trans is supposed to hold the lower gears longer to provide better acceleration. If you are in traffic and let off the gas instead of pressing down on it, it will feel as if you're engine braking until the trans shifts to a higher gear. The fact that it stayed in 8th gear for 2 miles isn't an issue unless you are trying to accelerate and the trans isn't downshifting.

On your 0-60 runs, were they from a stop? Clear road (track-like conditions) or with traffic around? Were you able to stomp the gas pedal and hold it down the entire time?
I would have it looked at. I have an 18' AWD R/T and broke 6 secs stock (well 5.96s), except for a drop in K&N air filter. You should be hitting the 4 second range all day long.

Have you tried manually shifting to see if it still does it? If it doesn't, I suspect you have a programming issue, still something I would have looked at either way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I think he’s saying he’s babied it. He has tried to go any faster than that.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well, if he's babying it, he isn't going to see 4 sec runs.
The way I read it is he hasn’t even tried a 4 second run to break anything. He’s been trying to allow plenty of break in time. So, he shouldn’t have messed anything up.

I could be wrong, but that’s the way I read it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Something I noticed a while back is the gear indicated in performance pages isn't updating real time. There's a bit of a lag between what it shows and what the gear is. There is an option to show gear on the dash. Rather than having mine show Park, Reverse, Drive, I just have mine just show the current gear it's in. When you have that active you can see that what's showing up in performance pages isn't in synch with what it's actually in. When you're slowing down, performance pages hasn't had time to update and it will show a higher gear. Set the setting in the instrument cluster to get an actual gear.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Something I noticed a while back is the gear indicated in performance pages isn't updating real time. There's a bit of a lag between what it shows and what the gear is. There is an option to show gear on the dash. Rather than having mine show Park, Reverse, Drive, I just have mine just show the current gear it's in. When you have that active you can see that what's showing up in performance pages isn't in synch with what it's actually in. When you're slowing down, performance pages hasn't had time to update and it will show a higher gear. Set the setting in the instrument cluster to get an actual gear.
This.

I was going to post something similar. I did the same thing. I have my gauges set up to show current gear also and it often times (most of the time) doesn't line up with the performance pages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts