Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I just picked up my DDHC on Friday and drove it 1400 miles home. I am having a strange grinding sound coming from the front passenger's wheel well. I didn't discover it until about 500 miles, as I was abiding by engine break-in.

It happens only under very hard acceleration in 1-2 gears and the very bottom of 3rd - I would say 80% throttle and greater. It sounds like a rotational grind, like sheet metal grinding a tire or wheel. I checked everything I could on the ground but will get it up on the lift later this week. Does not happen on heavy highway pulls. It is a pretty unsettling sound, and very apparent with the windows closed.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I am seeing DDSRT0311 has a bad cat, maybe an exhaust rub, but mine definitely seems driveline/brake related. I will report back if i find anything glaring.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Could be the dust plate on the back of the rotor is bent.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had this same sound in my DDHC before it was stolen. It's the exhaust contacting the frame. There are a number of posts on the Trackhawk and Hellcat forums about it. Nothing bad, just requires a quick trip to the dealership to check and adjust clearance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, I was going to say this sounds like some sort of contact vibration. When you’re flooring it like that the driveline shifts more so and is making contact with something. Check exhaust, shields, etc. should be an easy fix for the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had this same sound in my DDHC before it was stolen. It's the exhaust contacting the frame. There are a number of posts on the Trackhawk and Hellcat forums about it. Nothing bad, just requires a quick trip to the dealership to check and adjust clearance.
gosh man I just joined this forum and have been reading about your situation. Disheartening for sure.

Thanks for the reply, I have a shop at my house I am going to toss it up on the lift before I take it to the dealer

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hello! I just picked up my DDHC on Friday and drove it 1400 miles home. I am having a strange grinding sound coming from the front passenger's wheel well. I didn't discover it until about 500 miles, as I was abiding by engine break-in.

It happens only under very hard acceleration in 1-2 gears and the very bottom of 3rd - I would say 80% throttle and greater. It sounds like a rotational grind, like sheet metal grinding a tire or wheel. I checked everything I could on the ground but will get it up on the lift later this week. Does not happen on heavy highway pulls. It is a pretty unsettling sound, and very apparent with the windows closed.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I am seeing DDSRT0311 has a bad cat, maybe an exhaust rub, but mine definitely seems driveline/brake related. I will report back if i find anything glaring.
Hi MoveOver,
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts

My durango HC does the same sound 1-2-3 wot or even when I hit a bump at wot.
did you find your problem ?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd be curious how they "adjust the clearance". From looking at parts diagram each bank has its own exhaust manifold and down pipe/cat. After that point and all the way back except for one sides muffler its all one giant piece.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As stated above, it's the exhaust hitting a frame cross member. Dealer is fixing mine, but I don't know exactly how.
Do you know what cross member? I am having the same issue but my dealer said there's about a half inch clearance between the exhaust and transmission cross member.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts