Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched here but didn't find a thread on engine break in. The manual I found on the Mopar site (get my vehicle early next week) was not Hellcat specific and had a pretty vague description over 300 miles. I see others talking about a more detailed 500 mile process but can't find and info. Pointers would be appreciated.

Related, is there a Hellcat specific manual? Can I get one online?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pretty much broken in from factory. Some will tell you drive it like you stole it to seal the rings. Others keep it under 55mph or 2500 rpm for first 500 mi and incremental increase. Who knows. Don’t worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Page 16.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance and maximum durability for your new SRT vehicle. This break-in occurs mainly during the first 500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval. It is recommended that the operator observe the following driving behaviors during the new vehicle break-in period: 0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):  Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.  Press the accelerator pedal slowly and no more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.  Avoid aggressive braking.  Drive with the engine speed below 3,500 RPM.  Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits. 100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):  Press the accelerator pedal slowly and no more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration in lower gears (FIRST to THIRD gears).  Avoid aggressive braking.  Drive with the engine speed below 5,000 RPM.  Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits. 300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):  Exercise the full engine RPM range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher RPM when possible.  Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.  Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits. For the first 1,500 miles (2,414 km):  Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities. NOTE: Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption may be higher through the first oil change interval. Running the engine with an oil level below the add mark can cause severe engine damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's awesome. Thanks. I didn't think to look for the "Performance features" guide.

Interestingly they don't say anything about when you can start towing. After the 500 mile mark seems reasonable but before? I have a relatively short (40 miles) tow with 7000# to do a few days after getting mine next week. Would be tight to put 500 miles on it before that. Might just use a different vehicle...

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's awesome. Thanks. I didn't think to look for the "Performance features" guide.

Interestingly they don't say anything about when you can start towing. After the 500 mile mark seems reasonable but before? I have a relatively short (40 miles) tow with 7000# to do a few days after getting mine next week. Would be tight to put 500 miles on it before that. Might just use a different vehicle...
The manual says no towing during the first 500 miles. I would follow that especially with a load as heavy as 7000.

·
Registered
2021 R/T Tow N Go Redline
50 Posts

I just posted this the other day from the manual:
 Do not tow a trailer AT ALL during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
 THEN, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

I would not do that, they explicitly say that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes sense. BTW where are you seeing that? I searched the owners manual and the performance features manual and didn't see any guidance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Makes sense. BTW where are you seeing that? I searched the owners manual and the performance features manual and didn't see any guidance.
Starting and Operating / Trailer Towing / page 160 / CAUTION box in the middle of the page

·
Registered
137 Posts
For the DDHC some of these instructions are almost comical "do not make starts at full throttle while towing" and "Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle". Either of those two operations in the DDHC would be difficult to safely perform even after the break-in period.

·
Registered
2014 Durango RT 392
1,054 Posts
I searched here but didn't find a thread on engine break in. The manual I found on the Mopar site (get my vehicle early next week) was not Hellcat specific and had a pretty vague description over 300 miles. I see others talking about a more detailed 500 mile process but can't find and info. Pointers would be appreciated.

Related, is there a Hellcat specific manual? Can I get one online?
You may want to debadge it when you get it, or someone else might break it in for you!

Reactions: mm9284

·
Registered
2018 Durango SRT Bruiser Gray
248 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oddly enough, I can't find either of those pieces of info in the online manuals. P160 in the online owners manual is not related to engines and the performance features manual doesn't have that many pages. Do I have the wrong manuals somehow? I'm using Official Mopar Site | Owner's Manual

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
They say engine is broken in from factory But also remember there are other driveline parts that are probably new as well.
Me personally I could not keep from doing some hits, those who can follow the break in are way better than me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
They say engine is broken in from factory But also remember there are other driveline parts that are probably new as well.
Me personally I could not keep from doing some hits, those who can follow the break in are way better than me.
Who are "they"?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, but like you said, the transmission, t-case and differentials aren't broken in (as far as I know) and they are on the receiving end of all that power. You have to eeeaasse into it, you can't just give her the onions from the get go. I mean, you can, but it's not wise.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Yeah, but like you said, the transmission, t-case and differentials aren't broken in (as far as I know) and they are on the receiving end of all that power. You have to eeeaasse into it, you can't just give her the onions from the get go. I mean, you can, but it's not wise.
Good Luck taking it easy is all I am saying, I have only so much self control and I defiantly did not follow the break in as prescribed

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good Luck taking it easy is all I am saying, I have only so much self control and I defiantly did not follow the break in as prescribed
Lol, I know and I only have the TnG, can't imagine what it would be like with a HC. Also, I think this is the first time I can't tell if "defiantly" was a typo or not.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The large manual is for all Durangos..there is a pull down menu that has a performance engine supplement..that is for the 6.4 and HC motors...your welcome... 😉

1 - 20 of 29 Posts