Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a discussion for a diagnostic link connector lock...Seems hackers can get by the U-Connect and Lojack...Does anyone have experience with devices such as these?

Electronic instrument Font Gadget Tool Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I have seen more substantial ones but they are all at European sellers.
This one (Autotap) seems it would not stop the thief from simply breaking it off and the connector could still be used.
The ones I have seen from Europe have bolts they use which looks like it would not be possible to break it off in an amount of time the thief would want to stay in the vehicle.

This looks like it could help!

·
Banned
169 Posts
That website is quite interesting. It looks like intended purpose of the device is for it to be used to prevent insurance / law enforcement companies from accessing the computer to get the crash data for liability purposes.

It seems that blocking the port as a theft deterrent isn't even in their advertised use cases.

·
Registered
2020 DDSRT Octane Red, 2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 2021 HD FLHXS
186 Posts
The device prevents vehicle theft by securing access to the vehicle port used to access the vehicle Controlled Area Network (CAN). This prevents using electronic tools to alter VIN numbers and reset odometers. See the site Q&A for more info.
There is more than one access to the CAN-BUS system. A locksmith can use a star connector to read the CAN-BUS to program a new key fob.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I summarized my findings on the other thread regarding the DDHC that was stolen, here is a C/P from that thread:

• Key Cloning - Best defense against this would be a faraday bag and faraday case. Faraday bag for when you are on the road and faraday case for when you are home. The effectiveness of both could be easily tested by seeing how close you have to be to the car before it will let you unlock it without pressing the remote. If its truly effective you should be able to sit in the car with the fob in the case or bag and still not be able to start the car via the pushbutton; any less than that and send the faraday device back.
  • OBD Port - There is a company that offers a metal locking cover for the OBD port but they are in Europe, appear to be on their way out of business, and do not make anything for any of the FCA vehicles. An alternate option that I found was to use an OBD dummy port cable that would hopefully slow the thieves down if not stop them completely. If this cable were modified to put 12V on the communication pins of the dummy OBD port you might even fry the thieves' OBD port hacking device. I have been studying the European locking mechanism's pictures and it looks to me like the Ford Transit van lock would work for the DDHC but I am not even sure if they will deliver to the USA.
  • Starter Kill Switch - If they can't start it they can't drive it away. This one would slow them down as well. A pretty cool feature of this particular harness is that you could tie the starting sequence to any 12V source so the reset sequence wouldn't even have to be a switch.
  • Steering Wheel + Brake Pedal Lock - Sometimes simple is best and this one looks pretty effective. The LPL makes it clear none of these locks are very secure and I would imagine the locking mechanism for this device is no different......but at least the thieves would need to have lock picking skills on top of just a laptop and OBD hack software.
  • GPS Tracking w/Battery Backup - LoJack is dead but there are a ton of 3rd party companies that offer GPS tracking that works even if the battery is disconnected. Unfortunately you have to pay monthly and I'm having a hard time finding a hard wired GPS that includes battery backup and that also does not drain your car's battery when the car is off. For some reason the only two options for most of them are battery powered which you have to remember to charge every few weeks or car battery powered which only work when the car is running or could drain your car's battery while it is off.
  • Other - There are even more options like wheel hub locks, but things like those seem unrealistic in my book not to mention that despite all of the hassle, their main weakness is the locking mechanism itself.
  • Insurance - Of course it is just as important to have good insurance. Unfortunately with a DDHC they are literally irreplaceable. One thing some people don't realize though is that if you do any mods to your vehicle you need to make sure to add additional coverage to cover those mods; or you get nothing for them if the car is stolen or totaled. I learned the hard way that if a car is totaled and you did not list your mods with your insurance; even if you were not at fault, the at fault party's insurance will not give you a dime for them.
I am still in disbelief that car makers don't have more of a defense against this and I feel there are things car makers could do to protect against these types of attacks:
  • Key Fob Sleep Mode - Why a key fob needs to receive or transmit continuously is completely beyond me. If they implemented a sleep mode in the key fob where if you are outside of the vehicle and haven't pressed any buttons for 15min it stops transmitting or responding to transmissions that would reduce the key cloning attacks. They could at least make it so that if you locked it by hand or pressed the buttons to lock the car the only way to unlock it would be to press the buttons on the remote and kill all transmissions until a button is pressed.
  • Read Only OBD Port - They should make the OBD port read only unless the car is at the dealership and connected to the Internet. To unlock the port the authorization should have to come from FCA after verifying your ID. 1 Billion Windows operating systems are activated over the Internet after verifying your license key, you are telling me car makers can't do something similar for the OBD port? Of course if an authorized key fob is present in the car when the OBD port is connected then it could be set to read / write which would let you add a new key fob but only if an existing one is in your hand at the time.
  • Better GPS Tracking - I'm still not familiar with how effective UConnect is at tracking a vehicle after it is stolen and I assume it can't do anything if the battery is disconnected but at the moment it sure seems to me that 3rd party GPS trackers do a better job of this than the integrated system.
  • Two Factor Authentication - Two Factor Authentication is required for almost everything these days, let the user have the option to add a PIN that had to be entered prior to starting the vehicle. If the proper PIN was not entered the OBD port would stay locked in read only mode, the car would not start, and if the PIN is entered wrong more than 3x UConnect tracking could be enabled and an alert could be sent to your phone.
  • Aux Battery Backup - I hesitated to add this one since thieves would pretty quickly learn about this and figure out how to cut the power from it but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Have a small aux battery backup system in a very hard to get to location like embedded in the frame somewhere that powered GPS tracking if the battery power was removed.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I like the Faraday bag or box idea because the other day I got out of my DD and pressed the button on the door to lock it.
It would not lock. I kept trying and it would not by pressing the button. I tried the remote button and it worked. I then tried the door button again and it worked.
What I found was that I initially had the keyfob in my hand with my cellphone (essentially on top of the keyfob) and the cellphone killed/blocked/confused the transmitting of the keyfob.
I tested this and every time the fob was in my palm but my phone was on top of it, the door would not unlock while pressing the button.

That and a brake bar lock along with kill switch would be about the best you can do if the vehicle sits in an open area.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
So far I have a logistimatics gps installed covertly that has a battery that last about 10 days it charges when the car is on (wiring is covert as well) uses not only gps but also cell towers to find location
Blackvue dash camera with backup battery and tamperproof case to keep it plugged in, also has gps and cellular to upload. (but can be unplugged at the battery which is easier to find.
these items will hopefully help you find it quickly if stolen

As for anti theft
Working on a OBD port cover that can Lock onto the metal plate that the obd port plugs too.
Also working on a Transmission Neutral Pull Cover that locks in with Security screws

Plan on doing a kill switch for my next trip.

Recently went on a trip for few days and left the DDHC behind and was outside unfortunately but this is what I had going for me.
1 was parked where I can have a camera on it. you may be able to do this with a Blink camera in places like apartment or Condo as long as you have wifi.
2 Car Cover, Covered Car with a car cover that has plastic covered metal rings that you put a locking metal strap through. can still be cut but will slow them down more
3 Dash Cam has impact detection that can be set up sensitive to alert you when touched, with battery lasted about 50+ hours.
4 GPS Geofencing to alert when leaves the area helps to locate it quickly
5 Valet mode, turned on Valet mode, if this works this can keep them from getting away fast.

if i had to do again would pull a fuse until i get the kill switch install
I think a Wheel Boot is a great option BUT can be larger to take with you

and have to remember a tow truck could drag it up on a flatbed if they really want to or hook it with those wheel dollies
so antitheft has to be combined with tracking in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
So far I have a logistimatics gps installed covertly that has a battery that last about 10 days it charges when the car is on (wiring is covert as well) uses not only gps but also cell towers to find location
Blackvue dash camera with backup battery and tamperproof case to keep it plugged in, also has gps and cellular to upload. (but can be unplugged at the battery which is easier to find.

As for anti theft

5 Valet mode, turned on Valet mode, if this works this can keep them from getting away fast.
Not sure why you think that. Our valet mode doesn't reduce the power as much as the feature on Chargers/Challengers.
They will still be able to drive it fast in Valet Mode

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Not sure why you think that. Our valet mode doesn't reduce the power as much as the feature on Chargers/Challengers.
They will still be able to drive it fast in Valet Mode
It still reduces power which changes the way they drive making your car easier to catch or better yet, maybe less likely they wreck it. Under no circumstance would I want it stolen but if it happens still better than giving them full power. This is not something I do on a day to day as I stated it is something I did when I was away from it for an extended period.

when the one was stolen from Ohio yard a few months back one barley made it out of the gate before crashing it into a pole. I would feel better with it on than not. I plan to do as much as I can to prevent theft but just as much to aid recovery.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It still reduces power which changes the way they drive making your car easier to catch or better yet, maybe less likely they wreck it. Under no circumstance would I want it stolen but if it happens still better than giving them full power. This is not something I do on a day to day as I stated it is something I did when I was away from it for an extended period.

when the one was stolen from Ohio yard a few months back one barley made it out of the gate before crashing it into a pole. I would feel better with it on than not. I plan to do as much as I can to prevent theft but just as much to aid recovery.
As a reference:
I inadvertently left mine on and was able to outrun a motorcycle. I believe on ours the only thing valet mode does is lock out the SRT pages and drive modes.
I'm thinking of going kill switch or fuse removal if I have to go away long term.

·
Registered
536 Posts
View attachment 115986 How about something as simple as a 250 amp rated battery disconnect switch on the starter cable. Hide the handle back by the spare tire.
Make sure it's accessable from the outside or you're going to be climbing over the back seat a lot! The rear door will not open from the outside without battery power. You'll have to use the manual release from the inside.

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T "SRT Design"
2016 Dodge Durango Limited

·
Registered
140 Posts
View attachment 115986 How about something as simple as a 250 amp rated battery disconnect switch on the starter cable. Hide the handle back by the spare tire.
You would not need something that large, if you just add a disconnect to the starter solenoid wire instead it can be a lot lower rated. For longer trips where it is parked for awhile you could just pull the starter relay. Or you could pull the starter relay and put a dummy relay in its place to make it harder to figure out.

As for anti theft
Working on a OBD port cover that can Lock onto the metal plate that the obd port plugs too.
Also working on a Transmission Neutral Pull Cover that locks in with Security screws

Plan on doing a kill switch for my next trip.

Recently went on a trip for few days and left the DDHC behind and was outside unfortunately but this is what I had going for me.
1 was parked where I can have a camera on it. you may be able to do this with a Blink camera in places like apartment or Condo as long as you have wifi.
2 Car Cover, Covered Car with a car cover that has plastic covered metal rings that you put a locking metal strap through. can still be cut but will slow them down more
3 Dash Cam has impact detection that can be set up sensitive to alert you when touched, with battery lasted about 50+ hours.
4 GPS Geofencing to alert when leaves the area helps to locate it quickly

if i had to do again would pull a fuse until i get the kill switch install
I think a Wheel Boot is a great option BUT can be larger to take with you

and have to remember a tow truck could drag it up on a flatbed if they really want to or hook it with those wheel dollies
so antitheft has to be combined with tracking in my opinion.
How did you wire the Logistimatics into the battery? Also, their monthly fee seems on the high end. I have found providers as cheap as $20/yr with real time tracking. The problem with all of these trackers of course is they require cell tower access, so if the thieves have a cell phone jammer you will never get alerted so if they jam it right up until it's loaded on a shipping container you are out of luck. I would like to think most of them would not expect GPS tracking especially after disconnecting the battery but it is never safe to underestimate a determined thief.

I like the car cover idea, if no one knows what's under it its less of a target. If I were you I'd do the port cover lock and the OBD port relocate. That way after they spend all of that time getting the lock off they will still need more time to figure out that the port does not work and then have to try to find the real port or spend plenty of time under the dash trying to free up the real port. Even better if you add 12v to the com pins of the fake OBD port you will hopefully fry their OBD reader.

Do you have a source for the OBD port lock or are you building your own? I'm having trouble sourcing a quality OBD port lock. Of course there's almost no defense against towing, wheel boots have terribly insecure locks that can be picked in seconds.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
You would not need something that large, if you just add a disconnect to the starter solenoid wire instead it can be a lot lower rated. For longer trips where it is parked for awhile you could just pull the starter relay. Or you could pull the starter relay and put a dummy relay in its place to make it harder to figure out.

How did you wire the Logistimatics into the battery? Also, their monthly fee seems on the high end. I have found providers as cheap as $20/yr with real time tracking. The problem with all of these trackers of course is they require cell tower access, so if the thieves have a cell phone jammer you will never get alerted so if they jam it right up until it's loaded on a shipping container you are out of luck. I would like to think most of them would not expect GPS tracking especially after disconnecting the battery but it is never safe to underestimate a determined thief.

I like the car cover idea, if no one knows what's under it its less of a target. If I were you I'd do the port cover lock and the OBD port relocate. That way after they spend all of that time getting the lock off they will still need more time to figure out that the port does not work and then have to try to find the real port or spend plenty of time under the dash trying to free up the real port. Even better if you add 12v to the com pins of the fake OBD port you will hopefully fry their OBD reader.

Do you have a source for the OBD port lock or are you building your own? I'm having trouble sourcing a quality OBD port lock. Of course there's almost no defense against towing, wheel boots have terribly insecure locks that can be picked in seconds.
have been away for a bit some trips with the DDHC
I have dash cam batteries and logistimatics wired through Amazon.com: RED WOLF 12 Volt Power Adapter Wire Harness Switch Connector For Chrysler Dodge Ram 2001-2021 Cigarette Lighter Power Outlet to Add Backup camera CB Radio Radar Detectors Portable GPS: Automotive
on the passenger side 12v next to glove box
wanted a professional company they seemed more trustworthy than some cheap option on amazon.

I have a temporary Lock box on my OBD port now
Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

I am in the process of making one I have a 3d print of one working to get it made in metal and waiting for a replacement of the metal OBD port connector as I drilled and bent mine to fit the temp box
also working on a tow neutral pull lock.
Wood Rectangle Gadget Hardwood Audio equipment
Brown Wood Rectangle Floor Beige
Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.