Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

So my dash cluster is not working the cluster is maxing out the tachometer and the speedometer. here's how it all started. My heater core was leaking so I decided to replace it. Had to take apart the entire dash to reach the HVAC box, before everything i Disconnected my battery as to make sure nothing would happen. I disconnected all the electrical connection that were inside the cabin under and in the dash removed the grounding wires etc. (Note: at some point me negative battery connection some how got into contact the the terminal sooooo yeah). I replace the heater core, reinstalled everything grounds are connected again dash cluster installed and i think im done. I fully connect the negative cable to the battery and go to start it. so here are my symptoms

1. dash cluster when vehicle is on does not light up except the security light for a second.
2. speedo and tacho are maxed out
3. durango starts up but has rough idle then smooths out. fixed loose spark plug wire
4. im hearing a tick now, not sure if its in the cabin or in the engine bay. fixed loose spark plug wire.
5. after market stereo is in protect mode.

other than that everything is working just fine. has anybody had a similar experience and if so can help me out?
its a 2001 durango SLT 5.9

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 5.9 ticks sometimes also. From what I understand one of the ticking sounds is a lifter. I heard somewhere that even a brand new one can make this noise. Mine will usually only tick if the heat is on. I would check your wiring as much as it sucks to do that. The 5.9 is infamous for blowing out the plenum gasket and it will cause a vacuum leak and a rough idle. Mine is causing a rough idle also. This can be a project to replace but its possible if you have basic knowledge of tools and acess to youtube videos.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I'd have to say pull dash cluster back out and look for a bent pin in connector somewhere. It'll be all related to dash connection!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found out what was wrong and I feel stupid now. Haha one of my electrical connectors wasn't plugged in. I accidentally tucked one under some wires and I didn't see it. So everything is now working except my radio. Now it isn't even turning on, I've checked the fuses, and everything seems connected. I'm thinking it's the power wire to the radio itself. It might have been loosened to all the pulling shaking and what not.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well I found out what was wrong and I feel stupid now. Haha one of my electrical connectors wasn't plugged in. I accidentally tucked one under some wires and I didn't see it. So everything is now working except my radio. Now it isn't even turning on, I've checked the fuses, and everything seems connected. I'm thinking it's the power wire to the radio itself. It might have been loosened to all the pulling shaking and what not.
You mentioned the radio security light on the aftermarket unit. Many have a feature that kills the radio if the power is removed to piss off anyone who steals it from your car and tries to pawn it. Hopefully you have the original paperwork for it, there is probably a security code that must be entered to reactivate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts