Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had any reason to remove the complete dash on a 2021 durango? When I bought mine, there was a puncture on top of the dash. The dealer "repaired" it and I accepted it as is. Unfortunately, I'm not happy with the repair and it stands out. I want to swap the dash to the premium leather dash. I'm curious how hard the install will be. Anyone with experience in replacing a complete dash?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I'd be shocked if someone has.
I've removed one dash before...on a 90's Dodge Stealth...and while there were several connectors it was overall not difficult..just a lot of sub-components that required removal first. Key was the FSM was very detailed for that car. So I'd review the FSM first assuming you have that.

Might want to check with a couple interior repair shops if you haven't yet and see what they can do. They might be able to leather wrap it for less.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you take a picture? although I haven't removed one from a Durango I've taken apart tons of dashboards before.........most times the parts that you see are just covers and can pop out easily, believe me you don't want to try to remove the whole dash assembly, I did that on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler to fix a known issue with the heater core........absolute PITA, the dealership puts 12hrs of labor todo that swap, even the airbag on the same Jeep is a multi hour job and I can have that out in 30min.

If its the top portion of the dash, you may just need to remove the front trim pieces, disconnect the buttons and whatnot, there probably are a few 8mm screws that hold down the top part and some might be hidden.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you take a picture? although I haven't removed one from a Durango I've taken apart tons of dashboards before.........most times the parts that you see are just covers and can pop out easily, believe me you don't want to try to remove the whole dash assembly, I did that on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler to fix a known issue with the heater core........absolute PITA, the dealership puts 12hrs of labor todo that swap, even the airbag on the same Jeep is a multi hour job and I can have that out in 30min.

If its the top portion of the dash, you may just need to remove the front trim pieces, disconnect the buttons and whatnot, there probably are a few 8mm screws that hold down the top part and some might be hidden.
Yes, its just the top part on top of the gauge cluster. Here is the damage before the repair was made.

·
Registered
'21 DD Tow N Go / ‘17 Viper ACR
295 Posts
Guess because you accept the repair that now dealer won't swap the dash? I know a guy on the RAM forum that did remove his '20 ram dash and replace it without any issue or rattle. I would pay for the service manual for this kind of job. Just to make sure to know where all the clips and screws are.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess because you accept the repair that now dealer won't swap the dash? I know a guy on the RAM forum that did remove his '20 ram dash and replace it without any issue or rattle. I would pay for the service manual for this kind of job. Just to make sure to know where all the clips and screws are.
Long story short, I was really bummed about the damage. Noticed it after we left the dealer. I called the dealer and they said they would have it repaired or give me the $ to repair it. I wasn't confident they would do a great repair job so I took the money and had a "professional" do it. They did a pretty poor job.. I kinda just want to swap out the dash for the leather one at this point.

·
Registered
'21 DD Tow N Go / ‘17 Viper ACR
295 Posts
I understand. Did you found a leather dash already? Or at least the price for it ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It will never be the same if you r&r that dash. I would go to a place that specializes in vinyl repair, get it fixed and send the dealer the bill.

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
kdog:
Congrats on the new '21 Durango. Before I would risk damage, future rattles, or other problems, I would have a better repair, or get some kind of dash cover. That's a pretty minor mark IMO.

Don

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kdog:
Congrats on the new '21 Durango. Before I would risk damage, future rattles, or other problems, I would have a better repair, or get some kind of dash cover. That's a pretty minor mark IMO.

Don
I agree. Unfortunately the repair makes it stand out a lot worse than the original puncture. Its just one of those things that I look at and it ruins my day lol...

·
Premium Member
4,491 Posts
What the heck did the "repair" consist of? I think I would ask them to fix it right, and if they can't or won't, I would press for a refund. Could you post an after pic?

Don

·
Registered
317 Posts
The dealer had to pull mine to replace the HVAC core or whatever it is totally buried in the dash. It was under warranty otherwise it would have been $1600+. Oh and now I have 2 rattles which to me sound like a wiring harness lightly bumping on something when I hit bumps. But at least that AC works now and isn't leaking anymore.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, its just the top part on top of the gauge cluster. Here is the damage before the repair was made. View attachment 115139
View attachment 115140
Ugh......just looking at the diagram, yeah thats going to be a complete PITA, most cars I've yanked the dash apart the cluster has a removable cover above.

From the diagram, removal of the lower cover under the steering column, glove box, center/stereo cover and button panel, AC vents, gauge cluster cover, gauge cluster, start button, lower trim pieces around the steering column, number 3 and 4, windsheild vent trim..........worst part will be removal of the steering wheel from the steering column cause some engineer decided to make just a hole and not have a slot at the bottom of the plastic so you could just unbolt and drop the steering column..........after all that you gotta find the 20-30 screws that bolt the whole dashpad to the substructure and hopefully none of the wiring harnesses are snap/clipped to the dashpad structure behind.

Not a fun job, looking at least 3-4 hours of angry hateful cutting your hands on sharp plastic and little metal clips, cursing like a drunken sailor and thats just to get the dashpad out......

I'd try to find a good vinyl repair guy and get it fixed proper rather than deal with the ordeal of swapping out that.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Durango
308 Posts
  1. Remove both instrument panel end caps (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/CAP, Instrument Panel End/Removal)
  2. Remove the instrument panel center closeout
  3. Remove the steering column
  4. Remove the instrument panel center trim bezel
  5. Remove the radio
  6. Remove the A-pillar trim panels
  7. Remove the defroster grille
  8. Remove the cowl trim panels
  9. Remove the right passenger silencer panel
  10. If equipped, remove the instrument panel center tweeter

11. Working in the instrument cluster bay, disengage the wire harness retainers (1) from the instrument panel cover.

12. Disconnect the wire harness connector for the cabin ambient temperature sensor (1). Disengage the wire harness retainer (2).

13. Working in the radio bay, disconnect the wire harness connectors (1) from the HVAC air ducts.

14. Guide the wire harness for the center tweeter out between the instrument panel cover (1) and the air duct (3).

15. Working in the glove box bay, disconnect the passenger airbag wire harness connector (1).
  16. Remove the nuts (2) that secure the passenger airbag to the instrument panel carrier (3).

17. Remove the bolt (1) and the screws (2) from the top of the instrument panel cover (3).

18. Remove the retainers (1) that secure the defrost ducts to both A-pillars.
  19. Remove the fasteners (2) from the left side of the instrument panel cover (3).

20. Remove the fasteners (1) from the right side of the instrument panel cover (1).

21. With the help of an assistant, remove the instrument panel cover (1) from the instrument panel reinforcement. Verify the all of the harness connectors and retainers are disconnected. Remove the instrument panel cover (1) from the vehicle.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
  1. Remove both instrument panel end caps (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/CAP, Instrument Panel End/Removal).
  2. Remove the instrument panel center closeout (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/CLOSEOUT, Center/Removal) .
  3. Remove the steering column (Refer to 19 - Steering/Column - Removal) .
  4. Remove the instrument panel center trim bezel (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/BEZEL, Instrument Panel, Lower/Removal) .
  5. Remove the radio (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8A - Audio and Video/RADIO - Removal) .
  6. Remove the A-pillar trim panels (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, A-Pillar Trim - Removal) .
  7. Remove the defroster grille (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/GRILLE, Defroster/Removal) .
  8. Remove the cowl trim panels (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, Cowl Trim - Removal) .
  9. Remove the right passenger silencer panel (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Silencer/Removal) .
  10. If equipped, remove the instrument panel center tweeter (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8A - Audio and Video/SPEAKER/Removal) .

11. Working in the instrument cluster bay, disengage the wire harness retainers (1) from the instrument panel cover.

12. Disconnect the wire harness connector for the cabin ambient temperature sensor (1). Disengage the wire harness retainer (2).

13. Working in the radio bay, disconnect the wire harness connectors (1) from the HVAC air ducts.

14. Guide the wire harness for the center tweeter out between the instrument panel cover (1) and the air duct (3).

15. Working in the glove box bay, disconnect the passenger airbag wire harness connector (1).
  16. Remove the nuts (2) that secure the passenger airbag to the instrument panel carrier (3).

17. Remove the bolt (1) and the screws (2) from the top of the instrument panel cover (3).

18. Remove the retainers (1) that secure the defrost ducts to both A-pillars.
  19. Remove the fasteners (2) from the left side of the instrument panel cover (3).

20. Remove the fasteners (1) from the right side of the instrument panel cover (1).

21. With the help of an assistant, remove the instrument panel cover (1) from the instrument panel reinforcement. Verify the all of the harness connectors and retainers are disconnected. Remove the instrument panel cover (1) from the vehicle.
Wow. Thank you! What did you get this from? I will not be replacing my dash........

1 - 20 of 56 Posts