Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to post this because I found a TON of conflicting references and tutorials on the web. I was getting an engine code indicating a problem with my crankshaft sensor.
Upon following online tutorials from a mechanic and a national auto parts store, I replaced what I was shown to be the crankshaft position sensor. When that didn't solve the issue, I spent literally hundreds of dollars and God knows how many hours replacing, adjusting and swearing trying to make the code stop coming back. I even went as far as replacing the timing chain and gears!
Now, I know this should have been a no-brainer but everything on the internet is true, right? The sensor I replaced had been the CAMshaft position sensor. A $30 part and 20 minutes later, all was well in Hemi Land.

Long story short, please heed my warning.... On the 5.7 Hemi (which is after all an OVERHEAD cam engine) the CAMshaft sensor is on the upper part of the engine, just below the alternator. The CRANKshaft sensor is on the lower part of the engine, on right side (as you look at the front of the car) of the starter.

If this helps one weekend mechanic, I'll be a happy guy.

By the way, I bought my Durango new in 2005 and my motor has 238,000 miles on it, so everything I did to it was good preventive maintenance, but damn frustrating nonetheless.

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
minor nit, the 5.7 is a pushrod engine, not an overhead cam engine.

The camshaft position sensor is indeed in the upper part of the engine, but in the upper-center of the engine (where the camshaft is). On an overhead cam engine, it would probably be on one of the cylinder heads.

Reactions: Don Fox

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
TI:
Welcome to DDN. Congrats on the 200k+ milestone on your 2005. I wish you had found DDN earlier. Your post re the problem you had, is appreciated. What symptoms were you experiencing, that caused you to make all of the repairs?
At least you have conquered the issue.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts