Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2014 D has a small crack in the top center of the center racetrack tail light causing a little water pooling. I'm guessing that some others have a crack in the same general location. Has anyone tried the Luxe tail light wrap as a possbile cheap repair. Curious if anyone has had success w/ it instead of buying a new $600 light.

2014+ Durango Racetrack Taillamp Decal
Report the issue to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Of they get enough reports they can start a recall process. I have the same issue and service department won't replace without charging $1,000+. It's bull crap

·
Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
507 Posts
A crack in the middle is unusual as the leakage is typically from a square hole behind the right and left tall parts of the light assembly where the wires enter the racetrack. There is a thin gasket around the holes that is supposed to press against the liftgate panel and seal out moisture, but it does a poor job of that. It's also possible that water enters between the front and rear halves of the light assembly where they are glued together. Some people have applied silicone sealer to that joint along the top of the racetrack.

If you are planning on wrapping the racetrack then put some silicone in the crack first which you can cover with the wrap to hid the silicone.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have the same problem right now on my scat pack (same idea/style of rear center light) and I cracked mine while removing the dodge letters lol..... I filled it in with some black silicone and you can still see the damaged area but when I cracked the lens, I also scratched it all up trying to remove the remaining sticky stuff... so I installed the luxe kit as it covered all the damaged area...

the charger light is also about 600$ so this was a much cheaper solution and it did work... I don't really like the "blacked out" look of the tailights and I worry about getting pulled over for it but I see tons of chargers (and durangos) doing the same so perhaps it's not so bad. the light does come through just fine. I got the darkest gloss one to match the black plastic. Let me find a pic for you as it's the same concept

·
Registered
586 Posts
If you zoom in closely on the bottom you can’t see the crack but you can see the other damage I created.. one of the luxe kits goes over the entire middle section , everything except the outter red, which covered all the damaged area. Like you I didn’t want water to get in so this solved two problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts