Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I started a discussion here days ago about my blower motor not working for my AC/Heat. I have noticed lately that my coolant is also low as in very low in my coolant reservoir. Tonight I drove for a while and noticed that my car produces some white exhaust, maybe it’s been that way a little while now and haven’t noticed enough. I have had bad gaskets in the past with different cars and they were very noticeable. Anyway I also noticed there’s always water coming out of my tailpipes lately, and I know it’s cold/condensation but it is pretty constant wherever I go. Radiator and thermostat were replaced in July after it overheated. Just wondering where to go here I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Maybe I’m worrying a little too much about it but 44k miles and I got a gut feeling it’s gasket related. Maybe It has been leaking for a while, or another radiator problem Im no mechanic! I did notice some fluid on my driveway for the first time after it sat a few days possiblty coolant bc it’s not oil. My coolant was just topped off in September. Sorry for the long post if anyone who has any similar experiences could chime in I would appreciate!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you change your oil yet to check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No i haven’t but tomorrow I’ll be getting a lot checked at the dealer including an oil change and inspection on top of them trying to diagnose the problems. I use Reedman Toll in Langhorne, PA

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Its cold out, water is a by-product of combustion...you're going to see it out the exhaust.
If you had coolant mixing in it typically is some big plumes of lingering white smoke...sweet smelling too.

·
Registered
102 Posts
In my 2005 with 214kmiles, the only coolant leak I have had is the auxillary coolant pump for the rear heat. Its a consistent drip, but I only need to top it off every few months. I am currently looking for a new pump because the reman still had a slight leak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys I started a discussion here days ago about my blower motor not working for my AC/Heat. I have noticed lately that my coolant is also low as in very low in my coolant reservoir. Tonight I drove for a while and noticed that my car produces some white exhaust, maybe it’s been that way a little while now and haven’t noticed enough. I have had bad gaskets in the past with different cars and they were very noticeable. Anyway I also noticed there’s always water coming out of my tailpipes lately, and I know it’s cold/condensation but it is pretty constant wherever I go. Radiator and thermostat were replaced in July after it overheated. Just wondering where to go here I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Maybe I’m worrying a little too much about it but 44k miles and I got a gut feeling it’s gasket related. Maybe It has been leaking for a while, or another radiator problem Im no mechanic! I did notice some fluid on my driveway for the first time after it sat a few days possiblty coolant bc it’s not oil. My coolant was just topped off in September. Sorry for the long post if anyone who has any similar experiences could chime in I would appreciate!
View attachment 113105 View attachment 113106 View attachment 113109 View attachment 113110
It looks like a 3.6 pentastar can you confirm?

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Matty:
It is unlikely, though not impossible, that you have a HG issue. The Gen 3 Durangos seem to be having a high failure rate on the oem radiators. Your new one may be leaking again. If so, they should replace it gratis as long as its not been 12mo or 12k miles since the repair. That coolant junction right under the recovery tank is a known leak spot. it looks like there may be some dried coolant there. If you have any of the 5/60 powertrain warranty left, that would cover a head gasket problem. I doubt this is your issue though.

Don

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd be curious to see a picture of the top of the radiator on the driver's side where the hose inlet is. My bet would be on another rad failure at that area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank guys for the input. Dealer called me today, explaining it’s the transmission cooler that is leaking. New trans cooler, blower motor, inspection oil change and tire rotation coming to 1600 bucks. I asked if the trans cooler was in my powertrain and they said no. Should I cal FCA? It does sound like a lot of money to me, but i honestly thought they were gonna say something more expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Matty:
The trans cooler is paired along with the AC condenser. This does not explain your coolant loss though. At 44k miles, I think I would reach out to FCA customer service, and see if they might help you with the condenser repair. It's correct that the PT warranty does not cover the AC condenser/trans cooler. Still, you need to find out where the coolant is going.

Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Matty:
The trans cooler is paired along with the AC condenser. This does not explain your coolant loss though. At 44k miles, I think I would reach out to FCA customer service, and see if they might help you with the condenser repair. It's correct that the PT warranty does not cover the AC condenser/trans cooler. Still, you need to find out where the coolant is going.

Don
I stopped in to look at the work order. They are saying it’s the transmission heater. I talked with the girl at the counter and the work order parts were 389. After complaining and stating I was going to call
Chrysler, they said they made some calls the manager talked to Chrysler whatever and the bill total came down to 781 bucks. Huge difference in price. They’re telling me that everything else is ok besides the blower motor. The work should be done tomorrow I’ll ask some more about the coolant loss, this place isn’t exactly the best. I had my oil changed in September and the kid working there said he topped off my coolant. I asked him if he had the right stuff and he said it works with coats and oats and I got pissed off. I asked the dealer about a coolant flush and they keep telling me I don’t need one.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
Matty:
I have never heard of a "transmission heater." Someone there has misunderstood what they were told, or does not know what they are talking about. A dealer "should" be topping the coolant off with the oem coolant. I learned though, that some use whatever generic crap they can throw in there to save a dollar or two.

When I had the coolant changed on my wife's '11 Santa Fe, this was the case. I was pissed. The same can go for a trans fluid change unless you spec oem.

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts