Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! (Hi Dr. Nick!)

So after swapping the factory thermostat today, I started doing some reading about the required coolant for my 2015 Durango. The manual states that you should use Mopar brand, 10y/150k mi coolant that conforms to MS.90032 material spec.

This appears to be an OAT coolant, as opposed to the HOAT that was used previously.

From anything that's was able to read online, people/dealers refer to this as "the purple stuff".

The only thing that I have found that was close to this is...
Mopar 68163848AA COOLANT ANTIFREEZ

This says all of the right things (10y/150k mi & 2013+ model years), but I am convinced this is "the purple stuff".

Can I assume this is 100% compatible with the pink coolant that my car came with from the factory, with the only difference being the dye color?

After reading about the horror stories of people mixing coolant types, using DexCool or Zerex G-05 (or similar HOAT) and getting a sludge in their reservoir, I want to make sure I get the right stuff for the only vehicle our family has.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
But if it was factory-filled with pink HOAT, one should continue using HOAT, correct?

Edit: that is, until a proper and complete flush can be done to replace it ALL with the purple OAT.

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
You'll need to take some out and put it in a white cup to tell.. chatter on the jeep side is that the color in the recovery bottle is deceptive..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I feel pretty confident that it was pink in color.
I had a lot of white paper towels that were soaked in it.

I also know that Fiat uses a pink OAT coolant.
So I suppose it's possible that Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge has also switched to this?

Can anyone else with a recently built 2015 confirm what color coolant they have?
Can anyone tell me if I can mix this with the purple OAT?
Or, can someone who knows they have purple OAT confirm what their user manual says about the Recommended MS number?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, on second look, it very well may be the purple OAT that I have.
However, one of my questions still remains...

Is the 68163848AA compatible with what I currently have? Is any OAT coolant fine?
It appears as though the purple stuff is MS-9769 where my user manual is calling for MS-90032?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
When I recently did some work on my cooling system and when I changed out my t-stat last September, I am 100% confident that the coolant was pink. I thought it was odd since my 2005 Magnum had the orange HOAT but I figured it was just a different dye of the same stuff. I'd never heard of the purple stuff until this thread.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
When I changed my stat on my 13 I went into dealer and he handed me a gallon of pinkish stuff
winrwinr Planning ahead for any specific mod?
There is no tuning available for 2015's They are giving Diablo a crapload of grief across entire Mopar lineup. So much that any serious 2015 builds are getting a pcm swap from the 14's
STEVE

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm just wondering if I should flush and fill with the purple stuff or if I can keep running the pink/G-05 that I've got in there now. I'm also running the G-05 in my intercooler so I'd have to switch to both so I didn't have to think about what to buy for either system.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Use whatever was in from the get go.
STEVE

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I recently did some work on my cooling system and when I changed out my t-stat last September, I am 100% confident that the coolant was pink. I thought it was odd since my 2005 Magnum had the orange HOAT but I figured it was just a different dye of the same stuff. I'd never heard of the purple stuff until this thread.
Supposedly, from 2013+, they have been using this purple OAT.

If I were you, I would flush it and fill with something available.
I've seen the pictures of mixing HOAT and OAT coolants.
It looked like someone filled the engine with a spray foam.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I changed my stat on my 13 I went into dealer and he handed me a gallon of pinkish stuff
winrwinr Planning ahead for any specific mod?
There is no tuning available for 2015's They are giving Diablo a crapload of grief across entire Mopar lineup. So much that any serious 2015 builds are getting a pcm swap from the 14's
STEVE
I put the 180 degF tstat in.

I know it won't do much until I can get the tune to change the point when the fans turn on.
I would like to run a Hemifever 91/93 tune, but am waiting (im)patiently for a Diablo breakthrough on the PCM.

Know of any specific place that is selling PCMs? I have no problems swapping to a 2014.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I put the 180 degF tstat in.

I know it won't do much until I can get the tune to change the point when the fans turn on.
I would like to run a Hemifever 91/93 tune, but am waiting (im)patiently for a Diablo breakthrough on the PCM.

Know of any specific place that is selling PCMs? I have no problems swapping to a 2014.

Thanks for the reply!
In order for you to run the 14 pcm. your new pcm will need to be locked to your truck. I am unaware of any one selling pcm with out the vin and theft detterent being coded to your truck and bcm.
My last platform I did this but they knew I had did something because my car wouldn't communicate mileage and cels through the Internet to them.
Either way dodge will know you swapped ecus once your truck is up and running and it communicates it's status and cal id to them.
Just because they have idiots working at the dealers don't assume every one who works for them are idiots.
I'd wait for better tuning options serious hp and livernois have tuned 2015s but required modding your ecu and this can never be reversed. If they got that far then I'm sure they will have something out soon.
If you live in a cold climate it's possible you might get a cell for your thermostat when the truck tries to warm up in cold weather.

·
Administrator
28,307 Posts
Yeah I would not rush into the PCM swap. Johan at DIABLOTOONA has done a few of these with Great results. But as said above you arent going in for any warranty work for sure although they do Marry teh 14 pcm to the carso I dont know maybe it wont show...
180 stat should be ok unless you are in Alaska 160 or 170 would be pushing it

STEVE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts