Dodge Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
From the look of this, the leak is further back than I originally thought. IIRC, there is a plastic heater hose junction piece that resides between the back of the engine, and the firewall. This may be your issue. Either a failed/loose hose there, or the plastic has deteriorated due to heat, and age.

Don
Thank you for letting me know about this hose. Do you know the name or have a picture of where it is. I see two hoses entering the firewall on the driver side.

This is exactly the case. I looked underneath and I could not pinpoint anything.
did it not show, or was the whole area illuminated due to the excess dye? You only need about 3-4 ounces. I bought a 16 oz because it was only a couple bucks more than a single dose and it has lasted me about 15 years.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
did it not show, or was the whole area illuminated due to the excess dye? You only need about 3-4 ounces. I bought a 16 oz because it was only a couple bucks more than a single dose and it has lasted me about 15 years.
I have been busy with work and sorry for the late reply. It was not everywere, but it was in random places and I had trouble disinguishing from bright spots. I tactually looked like it was dried out from earlier. I will check again tonight and may add more dye. It has not been a huge priority since my car has not been overheating since I filled coolant in the radiator directly. Thanks!

Is it from a freeze plug above that?

I think you're right. It's $600 to replace the hidden freeze plugs on my '05 Caravan that recently blew out the easy one to fix.

Reactions: nygren
Make sure you tell them to pry the old one(s) out and not knock them into the block.

Better yet, ask them to give you the old plugs. You actually have a right to do that. Not that you really want them, but that you do want to verify they weren't knocked into the motor.

Reactions: Ollie Crow
You do not want to try this yourself. The freeze plugs are cast at the foundry which is done from molds created long ago. They are not placed depending on where mounts and such would be placed. They are used where the casting needs them.

I had this problem several years ago which is why I suggested it may be that. You actually have to unbolt and drop the front axle to get to it. PIA but it's the only way to get to it without pulling the motor.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Guess what? I was able get the correct expansion plug, was going to take my car to the mechanic, who was going to charge me $200 to replace the expansion plug, under my driver side engine mount, then another problem. There is NOW smoke coming out of my AC vent. I have not had this since I recognized a coolant leak. The heater core? Is this a new problem? I was told at O'Reilly to circulate outside air? I called my mechanic and will bring it in tomorrow morning.

If it smells sweet then it's coolant leaking from your heater core creating the steam, not smoke.

Guess what? I was able get the correct expansion plug, was going to take my car to the mechanic, who was going to charge me $200 to replace the expansion plug, under my driver side engine mount, then another problem. There is NOW smoke coming out of my AC vent. I have not had this since I recognized a coolant leak. The heater core? Is this a new problem? I was told at O'Reilly to circulate outside air? I called my mechanic and will bring it in tomorrow morning.
Oh my! If it's the core the dash will have to be unbolted and removed to get to it. While the coolant will have to be drained for both jobs you should replace the fluid with new antifreeze. BTW it's a big job :oops:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.