Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the transfer case. Its a 2012 Citadel 5.7 AWD. It does it when you first turn it on or switch gears. I'm thinking it is the transfer case motor. Has anyone else had this problem and how long can you drive it this way? The Durango drives fine as far as shifting and everything.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm really surprised that nobody has replied to this thread. Your clicking is the transfer case motor which switches the transfer case from normal "high" to LOW if desired. You probably already know this by now since your thread is older. I bought my truck with around 40K miles on it and it would click at intermittent times while driving or sitting in traffic. At first, it seemed to do it most often while in reverse backing out of the driveway, or until the road/vehicle noise took over and I couldn't hear it any longer.

My transfer case motor just failed on me about a month ago. It began clicking a lot more (5-10 times each time I shifted from park into any gear) one day and I tracked it to this part. I took it off the transfer case, moved the drive shaft around a bit, checked and blew out the electrical connections, and put it back on only to find that it still clicks.

If your truck is stuck in normal drive mode and you don't find yourself needing LOW ever, then you could drive it just fine, albeit with the annoying clicking sound (if yours does this too). Mine clicks like crazy but I'm still driving it. I just can't bring myself to spending over $400 on a part that I do not need since I never use the LOW function. I may just unplug mine and deal with the idiot lights on the dash so it will stop clicking. People look at me in traffic because of the clicking sound.....probably sounds like a time bomb to them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same problem and for me it was the feeling before the noise. It felt like it was stuck in AWD low I let the dodge dealership diagnose it and they came to replace a sensor the control module and the shifter motor. The control module I believe is under the driver seat. The module is what they believed to be bad all I know is I was not excited with the bill and i would have been happier replacing components piece by piece.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am leaning heavily towards the control module for the transfer case as my issue. I have been searching around for a wrecked unit in my year range and have had no luck yet. I don't want to have to buy a new module if I don't have to, as the pricing for them is borderline ridiculous.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did anybody ever figure what the actually problem was ... Currently having this issue right now . Sorry to revive the post .

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did anybody ever figure what the actually problem was ... Currently having this issue right now . Sorry to revive the post .
I just purchased a transfer case control module today and am going to try that first. I started a different thread on this site about my issues and I didn't get a single response. There must not be much traffic on this site or something, I figured these days with as many people who own the same brand/type of vehicle that SOMEONE has had the issue previously and can comment.

The only dialogue that I have found to date on transfer case or "clicking" issues have all thrown a ton of money at the problem through the dealership. Who knows what really resolved the issue in the end.

I'll post back on here when I get my part and plug it in..........if it works or not. If it doesn't cure my issues with the AWD system, I'll keep the original and send back the new part, then try the next step in the process.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also, to add to this thread..........I'm still learning my way through this.

At first, I thought it was my transfer case motor that was bad........but then I read some things on the Jeep forums where it ended up being the control module instead. Both parts are ridiculously expensive for some reason (in my opinion at least), so I am going with my gut on this and will try the module first.

The other thing I have learned is that the vehicle AWD system gets disabled where as I thought it did not, when one or the other of these items fails. It took a snow-covered driveway for me to figure that out......only the rear wheels were pushing.....the fronts were not engaged and not pulling. This confused me at first, because I thought that the transfer case was either in "normal" driving mode AWD or LOW AWD mode and there was no other option. Apparently I was incorrect. If anyone out there can confirm or correct me on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey man yeah so just finished up , at the dealer hoping to receive it today after I got off work . It all started like this ,t case motor is bad so let's order this up and replace it ............on my way to get it, hoping it was done and I get a call , my brother law is a service advisor there so he gives me a ring and said so that didn't fix the issue ( but it was fried ) so it did need to be replaced . Next is on to the control module and they would hope for this to fix the problem . I'll find out either Monday or Tuesday . . They tried to flash the car , update it but still no luck . Still stuck in in low range but now throwing a code and according to dealership is to move onto next step of module. They checked out the oil in the T Case and it wasn't burned so that's a plus . And yeah man I agree no traffic on the page . Wtf . Update me on your issue

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok, sounds good. I'll push updates on this thread with my own saga. I wish I knew someone well enough with a 2012-2013 R/T around me that I could just try to swap parts and find the fix prior to spending the cash. Sounds like you are already spending........hope the pain ends soon for you.

I'm supposed to get my module shipped some time next week. I'll know within 5 minutes if it fixes my issues or not.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Might be electronic repair facilities that either have those modules for exchange or can check yours for proper operation...have you checked into that?
I'm thinking one of those ECU repair facilities.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok, sounds good. I'll push updates on this thread with my own saga. I wish I knew someone well enough with a 2012-2013 R/T around me that I could just try to swap parts and find the fix prior to spending the cash. Sounds like you are already spending........hope the pain ends soon for you.

I'm supposed to get my module shipped some time next week. I'll know within 5 minutes if it fixes my issues or not.

Changed out my TCCM AND the problem disappeared, it went out of low range back to AWD .. so total was $915 parts and labor at Dodge dealership . Changed out the t-c motor , said it was fried which might've shortened out the control module and fixed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cool, glad you got yours figured out.

I got my control module on Friday last week. I plugged it in and mine is back to normal. I took a chance at it with my own research and it actually paid off. $210 for the part plus $125 for a core charge, which I'll get back once I send back the faulty module. I drove mine about 600 miles this past weekend with zero issues.

Clarification for those who care: the control module is plug-and-play if you get the right part number for your application. There is nothing that the stealership has to do to this part to make it work correctly. I tried a control module from a 2014 Jeep GC and it didn't work.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I got my control module on Friday last week. I plugged it in and mine is back to normal. I took a chance at it with my own research and it actually paid off. $210 for the part plus $125 for a core charge, which I'll get back once I send back the faulty module. I drove mine about 600 miles this past weekend with zero issues.

Clarification for those who care: the control module is plug-and-play if you get the right part number for your application. There is nothing that the stealership has to do to this part to make it work correctly. I tried a control module from a 2014 Jeep GC and it didn't work.
Right on man , yeah my brother law working at the stealership lol but charged me $65 versus $115 for a labor and parts we're 10% below cost , so it worked out . I did get the old motor back and and plus everything has a 2 year warranty ?

But maybe we finally shined some light on this problem . Because I searched everywhere with similar problems and nothing . So awesome glad it all worked out for ya . Now just time for some new tires because the person bought the Durango from had all different tread depths as well as one different tire SMH . 3 falkens and 1 contact .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this thread it has given us some help as to figure out what’s wrong with my dd 2012 hopefully mine gets fixed as well has similar issue 4 low stuck instead of awd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ticking is actually caused by the transfer case module and not the actual transfer case motor. According to my Dodge dealership that replaced mine on a 2012 with 176,000 miles on it. The problem is the module sends the signal to the motor when it shouldn't be.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello, I seem to be having a similar problem on my 2011 Dodge Durango 5.7L. Where were you able to source a TCCM?
Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello, I seem to be having a similar problem on my 2011 Dodge Durango 5.7L. Where were you able to source a TCCM?
Thanks
I tried a few different places. At the time, 3 or 4 FCA sites had the part for what seemed to be pretty cheap by rights over others. I ordered, and each time they messaged me and said their website was incorrect. I finally got one for the pricing indicated in this thread from Tasca Performance Parts if you can believe that.....Tasca Ford basically, of legendary drag racing fame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and ordered one from Rock Auto. The part number has changed apparently to:
MOPARRL029423AH
I’m hoping that it is plug and play like yours was, without having to take it to the dealer for programming. I should get it this week and will update to confirm if it works as I hope. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I went ahead and ordered one from Rock Auto. The part number has changed apparently to:
MOPARRL029423AH
I’m hoping that it is plug and play like yours was, without having to take it to the dealer for programming. I should get it this week and will update to confirm if it works as I hope. Thanks again.
UPDATE:
Got the part today. Swapped out the box and it fixed the issue. Plug and play. Simple speedy fix, but glad it did the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ticking is actually caused by the transfer case module and not the actual transfer case motor. According to my Dodge dealership that replaced mine on a 2012 with 176,000 miles on it. The problem is the module sends the signal to the motor when it shouldn't be.
I have a question, did you get warning light with the clicking noise, or just de clicking? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts