Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this issue for a while but I have been dealing with it since it doesn't seem to be causing a real problem other than annoying me while on the highway. I typically have the radio on so I cant hear it.... it is a clicking noise coming from the drivers side and sounds like it is coming from the wheel well or in the engine bay close to me near my feet. It sounds like it is something blowing around from the wind at freeway speeds. I do not hear it unless I am traveling 60+mph. I don't see anything loose in the wheel well and I don't see anything under the hood that could be causing it. Anyone have an issue like this? I sometimes wonder if I have a stick stuck up there somewhere that is just blowing around.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Does it change at all if your behind a big rig and tailgating? Just trying to see if it's wind related.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Constantly or sporadically? coasting, throttle up? Just my couple questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it change at all if your behind a big rig and tailgating? Just trying to see if it's wind related.
I have not really noticed a difference, haven't done a lot of tailgating though. I believe it is wind related since it only happens at high speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
361 Posts
As indicated in my signature line, I have a 2011 Citadel AWD w/5.7 HEMI.

I began hearing a clicking/knocking sound as I drover over speed bumps in parking lots. As a some time passed, these noises were joined by what I would refer to as a "chirping" sound. Think of it as a hunter's "Turkey Call" sort of. It's been driving me nuts. I have checked under the dash, A-Pillar, zip-tied the washer fluid line to restrain it - but the problem still existed. That is until today. I opened the hood and found two offending pieces of plastic molding/shroud that rattled/chirped when i tapped and moved them about.

As a test, I ended up cutting two small pieces of 1/4" foam and wedged them between where the two pieces of plastic rested against the fender and cowl area under the driver side windshield wiper.

I didn't take a photo, so I will re-purpose this one with "Blue" hatched (disregard the red) areas:

Capture.jpg

After I wedged the rubber strips where indicated in Blue above, I was unable to get the knock/chirp sound to occur. After test driving, I believe I have resolved my issue. I'll continue to listen out for it. If completely resolved, I may find a more permanent solution and take pics to share my resolution to what sounds like has been described by many of you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As indicated in my signature line, I have a 2011 Citadel AWD w/5.7 HEMI.

I began hearing a clicking/knocking sound as I drover over speed bumps in parking lots. As a some time passed, these noises were joined by what I would refer to as a "chirping" sound. Think of it as a hunter's "Turkey Call" sort of. It's been driving me nuts. I have checked under the dash, A-Pillar, zip-tied the washer fluid line to restrain it - but the problem still existed. That is until today. I opened the hood and found two offending pieces of plastic molding/shroud that rattled/chirped when i tapped and moved them about.

As a test, I ended up cutting two small pieces of 1/4" foam and wedged them between where the two pieces of plastic rested against the fender and cowl area under the driver side windshield wiper.

I didn't take a photo, so I will re-purpose this one with "Blue" hatched (disregard the red) areas:

View attachment 35770

After I wedged the rubber strips where indicated in Blue above, I was unable to get the knock/chirp sound to occur. After test driving, I believe I have resolved my issue. I'll continue to listen out for it. If completely resolved, I may find a more permanent solution and take pics to share my resolution to what sounds like has been described by many of you.
Funny you should mention this, I was sort of doing a similar thing under the hood moving shrouding around to see if I could get the clicking noise to replicate. I believe it is the upper shroud closest to the windshield. It has a tab that inserts into the side (farthest to the drivers side) and it clicks when I move it around. I think the wind at highway speeds is likely causing my noise. I will stuff some foam in there to see if it goes away.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This may sound kind of stupid, but I had a similar experience with a very intermittent clicking sound. It fooled me a couple of times until I realized that as I was passing over the material the DOT uses to fill cracks in the roadway (especially right after they had done it) made the sound. I initially thought it was some kind of weird wind noise. Just my $.02 USD.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Funny you should mention this, I was sort of doing a similar thing under the hood moving shrouding around to see if I could get the clicking noise to replicate. I believe it is the upper shroud closest to the windshield. It has a tab that inserts into the side (farthest to the drivers side) and it clicks when I move it around. I think the wind at highway speeds is likely causing my noise. I will stuff some foam in there to see if it goes away.

Here's a quick video of the noise from the upper shroud located just in front of the cowl/wiper area:

As Ben13D indicated, this shroud is held in by plastic tabs that seem to get loose over time. These tabs face forward and are easily found by tapping on the plastic shroud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts