Dodge Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize I may be crucified for this post. As much as I like the TNG exhaust, it is a bear when towing the camper. And it is my wife’s daily, who can’t stand the noise. We agree on keeping the truck with all of the other upgrades but want to revert back on the exhaust.
I’m thinking even the RT exhaust will be too much for her. So my question is simple. Can a Citadel exhaust be bolted on at the suitcase connection point in the middle of the truck and all is good? Any reason technically that this would not work?

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
The TNG is a larger diameter pipe than an RT exhaust is. A Citadel will have the RT system if it's a V8. If the Citadel has a V6 then it has a GT exhaust which I can't say anything about. It might be milder, it might not. Certainly no louder than an RT system. You will find buyers for your TNG system or even just for the SRT resonators if you take them off. Keep in mind if you only change resonators you will restrict the pipes leading to them. That may cut torque or HP - I can't remember which it will hurt. Anything you do will require a muffler shop to do some welding.

· Registered
5,919 Posts
I just had a rental R/T...its louder than the Citadel exhaust by a fair amount when under load. So I'd expect even towing the R/T exhaust might get old depending upon your tolerance..or your wife's.
But yes, it should bolt up...assuming the TNG uses the same downpipe as a non TNG optioned Durango. One caveat is if you have active exhaust...which I believe the TNG comes with. I don't think you can unplug those electronic valves without throwing a check engine light.
You will probably have to keep those which would mean piecing together the Citadel and TNG exhaust system...so I could see it being a little of a trial and error project with your local muffler shop.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
I'm surprised that the active exhaust still doesn't tame it down enough for his dear one.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had a rental R/T...its louder than the Citadel exhaust by a fair amount when under load. So I'd expect even towing the R/T exhaust might get old depending upon your tolerance..or your wife's.
But yes, it should bolt up...assuming the TNG uses the same downpipe as a non TNG optioned Durango. One caveat is if you have active exhaust...which I believe the TNG comes with. I don't think you can unplug those electronic valves without throwing a check engine light.
You will probably have to keep those which would mean piecing together the Citadel and TNG exhaust system...so I could see it being a little of a trial and error project with your local muffler shop.
Thanks. This is what I am trying to learn. Does it have active exhaust? Where would those valves be? From what I’ve learned the pipes are the same off the manifold until the two connections mid-truck. It looks like a simple bolt on and hangers from there. But that sounds too easy.

· Registered
115 Posts
Thanks. This is what I am trying to learn. Does it have active exhaust? Where would those valves be? From what I’ve learned the pipes are the same off the manifold until the two connections mid-truck. It looks like a simple bolt on and hangers from there. But that sounds too easy.
As far as I'm aware, it is not an active exhaust with valves for noise control. The TnG package does list an active noise control system, which from everything I've seen is the same active noise cancelation method as headphones use. My frustration with it is that none of the manuals discuss it, because at the very least there should be an on or off option to that. I've seen some post that it only activates in tow mode, but again, this is where a manual's description of the system would be helpful.
I haven't noticed a difference in any mode settings (haven't tried track yet, so not sure on that setting) where the exhaust sounds less or more.

· Registered
2016 Durango R/T Arizona
2,967 Posts
Reactions: PEAS_Pa

· Registered
5,919 Posts
Active exhaust valves like those on a Charger/Challenger are near the rear 2 mufflers/resonators...right where the 2 pipes start splitting to the left and right. You'll see black modules attached to the exhaust pipe with an electrical connection....if they are on the TNG.

· Registered
508 Posts
No active exhaust on the SRT or the RT TNG. It is just the one big suitcase muffler right after the cats and two resonators. Don't know if Dodge did this as a cost-saving measure or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts