Dodge Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! Sparing you the details, I've been in the hospital for the last three months for some gastrointestinal issues and a little heart attack combined with numerous surgeries.

Anyway, my D has held up like a champ, but the S10 I picked up for my son to use (so he didn't mess up my D) has gone on the fritz. I've narrowed it down to an electrical issue and the battery and alternator are new. When I put the key in the ignition, there's NO juice to the truck at all. Nothing! However, when I hook jumper cables up to the D, it starts right up like it should and, once the cables are disconnected, it continues to run just fine. When I turn it off and turn the key back on, NADA. A multimeter shows the battery is just fine so my best guess is it's a ground issue with the negative battery cable somewhere down the line. I don't know enough about this to go any further, so any thoughts, ideas, etc.??

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
8,052 Posts
Make sure both the battery posts and the inside of the terminals are shiny clean and the terminals are tight on the battery. Do the same for the other ends of both cables. Go to the parts store and get what's known as a star washer for the positive and ground cable ends that bolts to the block/chassis and the power distribution center or starter. I'm trying to cover most configurations as I'm not sure how the S-10 is wired, but these would be a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I had a fusible link issue at the starter on the 83 S-10 I had a long long time ago. The starter went out and did a number on the electrical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts